bringing chrome back to life - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Reload this Page >

bringing chrome back to life

Notices
Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

Old 12-29-2018, 05:33 PM
rortiz156
New User
rortiz156 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Does anybody have any good methods of restoring aluminum/chrome, particularly a diamond plated tool box and bed liner? I've tried California customs deoxidizer and polish but it didn't do much for the time I spent and the really bad spots. Want it to shine

Old 12-30-2018, 11:05 AM
F350 1990
Elder User
F350 1990 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You have a range of chemical, abrasive options if aluminum -- not sure about chrome given the limited amount of material they use these days. In the past you could remove some of the upper layers and still get "shine" but lately that's not the case....

Old 12-31-2018, 06:48 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
for aluminum, a muriatic acid solution works great to beak down the crud, then wash off and polish/wax.
for chrome, coca cola soda and aluminum foil, then wash off and a heavy coat of wax once dry.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:49 PM
rortiz156
New User
rortiz156 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the tips Ill try muriatic acid got and some laying around and haven't gone with the foil approach either.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:07 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
when doing the muriatic acid, you only want a very little bit. if i remember correctly, .05% for aluminum. spray it on and rub with a soft bristle brush. when it starts to change to a dark color, wash off with a lot of water.
if you let it sit on till it turns black, it will stain the aluminum.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:30 PM
PupnDuck
Elder User
PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.
Just realize that you'll never restore to original appearance. Corrosion and oxidation of aluminum is just that - metal that isn't there any more. You can remove the oxidation and other assorted crud but there's nothing you can do about the pitting.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:39 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold
This prompted me to take care of the odds and ends of sockets, wanted to clean them up and knock off the little bit of rust. So I bought a gallon of evapo-rust. It is available at most auto parts stores. It took off the rust without pitting or doing other damage to the chrome. After the soak, I rinsed them off in water, according to the instructions. Finally I used WD-40 corrosion inhibitor on the tools and put them back in the chest.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:46 PM
jade79
Elder User
jade79 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've had good luck with an SOS pad on chrome, used lightly. The water beads up when rinsed off so it seems to leave a temporary protective coating too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.