Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Resonator Grater Debator

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:58 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Resonator Grater Debator

Drone. Many of us have it, and I've been told it's part of the 4" exhaust experience. I have two sources of drone: There's the drone sound coming from the S&B intake (not too bad), then there's the cursed drone sound and reverberation emanating through the floor into the cab. It's that last one that had me talking to a diesel exhaust guru last week. He told me the resonator had two directions that it could be installed, and he showed me how the louvers "grate" the air in one direction, and they go with the flow in the other. The "grating" way will make the exhaust a little quieter, so I opted for that. I made it a point to ask about the exhaust whistle, because I wanted to keep the music. "It won't interfere with the whistle."

In 1/2 hour, Stinky was backing off the lift - sans tooth-gap exhaust whistle. I'm screaming (in my head) "Where the hell is the whistle?!" Did I just Buck$Zooka-blast the charm right out of Stinky's mouth? With all I've endured since I bought Stinky, this was one endearing feature about him that I truly enjoyed. I called my wife and told her what happened and she was disappointed as well. I decided to ride this out, see what it does for me, and consult with the brotherhood before I go reaching for the Sawzall (not the first time I hosed a Buck$Zooka blast).

Well... the reverberation is gone, and now the loudest drone left is from the intake - not so bad. The exhaust is quieter, but still sounds healthy - I haven't looked away from the Milwaukee yet.

I'm driving in decel tune down a steep grade in a residential section, and I noticed a guy walking his dog doesn't turn to investigate "the big hiss" - this is unusual. I roll down the passenger window to listen for the hiss, and it's barely noticeable. I drive past a vertical wall right next to the road, and the hiss is substantially subdued. I actually like the big hiss on the open road, but I was always worried about the compression brake ordnance on this steep road I drive every day. Some rabid pedestrian could grab his/her iPhone and "document" my cavalier attitude about noise abatement. To be honest, I don't like making big noise in residential areas - but I hate brake jobs even more.

I get home and put Stinky in warm-up tune - this elevates the idle and closes the EBPV. Standing next to Stinky's trumpet, I'm thinking "Man... that's quiet". The engine makes more noise than the exhaust, and I can't hear the hiss when I go in the house and close the door. The Sawzall is at the ready, but I'm wearing my pants through on the fence.

If you're one of those that has a decel tune and/or hates the hiss of the EBPV when the truck is warming up, the resonator is a valid mod to consider. I say it's more valid than the EBPV delete - because that warm-up feature is nice to have in Northern climates.

Questions:
  • Has anybody installed the resonator with the louvers pointing downstream?
  • If so, does the exhaust still whistle?
  • Did the EBPV hiss almost go away with louvers-down?
  • How does the exhaust sound in your opinion?
  • Has anybody tried both directions with a resonator? What were the differences?

Old 11-03-2014, 08:57 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
link on what you installed? Some areas here i'd like to "crawl" through at 5am's. Try grabbing a higher gear to mask the sound but thats then overtaken by gear rollover...lol

Old 11-03-2014, 12:57 PM
Volcom
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This will be the resonator I install if I need one.

FTE Resonator / Muffler 4" x 30" Aluminized - Resonators / Mufflers

Buddy of mine had one on his CTD. Still had all the same exhaust sound minus the nasty drone.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:45 PM
liquidlounge
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
I've read nothing but good on the FTE resonator.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:38 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I think I found my problem... I didn't research it enough. This is what I got: [LINK]

This is what I want: [LINK]

Old 11-04-2014, 11:57 AM
snknby123
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed the FTE 4"x 30" resonator already mentioned. It definitely took the edge off. Much quieter from idle all the way through driving down the highway and I still have the whistle but the Drone at 1700rpm up to 2000rpm is still there. Not as bad but still there. In the summer I have the windows down most of the time so no biggie. Now that it's cold it's back up on the priority list.

I have read that location is key. As far towards the cab as possible. I have mine right after the Tranny cross member and still drones. I haven't looked close enough to see if I can get it up inside alongside the Tranny yet. Maybe I need the 12" version for this location. Working on exhaust has got to be one of my least favorite things to do on any of my vehicles.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 11-04-2014, 05:50 PM
snknby123
Elder User
There are two versions of the Aeroturbine. The 4040 and the 4040XL resonated. A quick search will yield plenty of info about them.

Gaugepro,

Your vids do sound really good. Where is your unit mounted? So you are saying you are drone free with this Non-resonated version?

Old 11-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Originally Posted by snknby123
There are two versions of the Aeroturbine. The 4040 and the 4040XL resonated. A quick search will yield plenty of info about them.

Gaugepro,

Your vids do sound really good. Where is your unit mounted? So you are saying you are drone free with this Non-resonated version?
No drone... but Tuggles hears all kinds of things 99.9% of people would never notice.

Mine is the 4040... It is mounted just behind the trans X member.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:09 PM
snknby123
Elder User
No drone... but Tuggles hears all kinds of things 99.9% of people would never notice. Mine is the 4040... It is mounted just behind the trans X member.
Can't tell what your driving... CC Long bed? I have the Ext cab short bed. From the research I have done the length of pipe from the muffler (tail pipe) plays a roll in Drone or no drone. The longer the better. Thx

Old 11-04-2014, 06:10 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I have an MBRP 4" exhaust with their muffler. No drone at all, and I can hear the whistle with the window down. I also have stock injectors and turbo. I'm sure a 38R adds to the experience.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Originally Posted by snknby123
Can't tell what your driving... CC Long bed? I have the Ext cab short bed. From the research I have done the length of pipe from the muffler (tail pipe) plays a roll in Drone or no drone. The longer the better. Thx
X-Cab Long bed...

Old 11-04-2014, 06:37 PM
snknby123
Elder User
Nice looking rig!

One last question. 4040 then straight pipe to the back?

Old 11-05-2014, 05:18 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
So everybody's vote is hack it off and try another one? Nobody has experience with reversing the unit?

Gaugepro's first video has no whistle in the exhaust, and is very quiet. Here is the whistle I want back (Stinky doesn't smoke like that any more):

Old 11-05-2014, 07:00 AM
snknby123
Elder User
That's what I would do. Use some temp clamps and flip it. If you have some extra pipe you can also work on positioning it for the drone issue. If no whistle ditch it for a different one.

Quick Reply: Resonator Grater Debator