1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need Help - 49 Ford truck project

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 01:54 PM
mustangmike70302
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help - 49 Ford truck project

Hello there. I'm looking to buy a 49 Ford pickup. The truck was in nice shape everything was there. Just one problem.

The owner has a clear title but no glove box data plate and can not find a number stamped on the frame. Frame has rust.

Can anyone tell me what they would do in a situation like this and can you purchase a new glove box data plate with your number stampings?

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:01 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
The glove box data plate really doesnt matter a whole lot. You can get a repro and get it stamped to your VIN. What most states worry about is that the VIN matches on the frame. I would definitely try your best to find the VIN on the frame.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:40 PM
mustangmike70302
New User
Thanks for the reply.

Where can you get a glove box data plate and who stamps it?

Also are there 3 spots on the frame where the VIN number is?

Thanks again.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:01 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
There is only one, drivers side top of frame about right under the gen.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:05 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangmike70302
Thanks for the reply.

Where can you get a glove box data plate and who stamps it?

Also are there 3 spots on the frame where the VIN number is?

Thanks again.
I believe that classic haulers sells the plates. You can just stamp them yourself with some letter punches.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:14 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
The frame stamping is on the passenger side rail between the block and the radiator. I take it that the plate on the firewall is also missing.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Here's where to look...

Old 10-25-2014, 06:44 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
And so it is. Insert foot in mouth now. I could have swore they were on the other side , sorry. Mine are right next to the two rivets towards the block.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:00 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
If you are registering it in the same state the tile is registered in, then you don't have a problem. The dmv will not check anything, if out of state, then that is a whole 'nother can of worms.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:49 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Every state has it's own rules on titling non titled era vehicles depending on what documents you have and from where. Best, most accurate info can usually be found on your state DMV web site or by calling your state DMV main office in the state capitol. Don't rely on hearsay or experience in other states, "title mills" advertised on line and in specialty magazines, or even your local DMV office (local offices are often contract operated and hire low wage workers who are not always versed in any out of the ordinary regulations and/or don't want to go out of their way to seek out the right answers).

Old 10-26-2014, 08:29 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
DMV office (local offices are often contract operated and hire low wage workers who are not always versed in any out of the ordinary regulations and/or don't want to go out of their way to seek out the right answers).
Heck, I've called the main office in the state capitol and have gotten numerous answers to the same questions. It seems like no one knows what is going on. It would be nice if all of the states would get together and develop a standard practice in titling vehicles. The only problem with that is I'm sure they would make it even harder to title an old vehicle with a spotty lineage. In our hobby it's not uncommon, actually pretty common, to have a vehicle made up of multiple vehicles, where does one vehicle stop and another starts?

Old 10-26-2014, 08:55 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Almost always with the frame. The frame defines the vehicle.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:59 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Some times the frame is one of the parts that are the most in need of replacement maybe because of an accident or other type damage like a front clip installation gone wrong. The rest of the vehicle could be in useable condition.

The funny thing is how each state handles the titling of vehicle differently. Some, like here in Wisconsin don't even personally look at the vehicle, all you have to present is a title with a receipt. A bill of sale is no good without a signed title. In other states a bill of sale will do even without a title but they have to inspect the vehicle.

I understand the requirements to help curtail registering a stolen vehicle but a vast number of vehicles in this hobby are pulled out of fields and old barns that have set for decades and the owners have been long gone. There has got to be a way to uniformly be able to title vehicles that don't have the proper paperwork. I know about bonded titles but here in Wisconsin very few people know anything about them. Not some of the people I've talked to in the state government or even my insurance agent, who I found I have to go through to get a bonded title, and he's an old car guy himself. There should be something uniform, and simple, between all of the states.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:06 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 10-26-2014, 01:03 PM
fbb1951
Senior User
Originally Posted by AXracer
Almost always with the frame. The frame defines the vehicle.
What if you have a new manufactured frame? I recently bought a '38 Ford deluxe Coupe. It came with a newly build complete boxed frame, Currie 9" rear and Mustang II front end. The firewall has been replaced and the motor and trans. are 2002 GM L29 and 4L80E. There is nothing original that has a VIN stamp. Original glove box, but no VIN plate. The title was from Idaho and I am in Utah.

After many calls to the state DMV and a Sheriffs officer inspection, and much paperwork, I managed to complete the registration with the original VIN that was on the Idaho title. I now have a new Utah title with the original VIN number.

Quick Reply: Need Help - 49 Ford truck project