6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

<Sob>My truck getting worse instead of better

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:17 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Houston? Check with Toreador_Diesel on here....he lives near you I think. He could recommend someone.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:19 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by IHateCommieCars
Hope you saw the rest of my last post, I edited a couple of times.

I haven't tried to restart today, but when I did a bubble test, it cranked just like it did before the runaway so I suspect it'd start again. And, it seems like it'd idle for as long as I want. It's only when I give it pedal that all hell breaks lose.

I call it a runaway because I turn the key off and it keeps running at real high rpm.

Sorry for being a layman, but what do you mean by "CCV tube pulled out." Nor do I know what "blow by" means, but I've heard the term and will google it right now. Also, what is a "leak down test"?

Dang, I feel like an idiot.

Again, SDS seems like a great tech, but there has to be a good tech here in Houston as well. Towing a truck 1200 miles to get worked on seems kinda pricey.
CCV is Crankcase ventilation. Most motors have a small amount of blow by which is reintroduced into the intake. In the 6.0, it is in the air intake right before the turbo.

Blow by is oil vapors escaping past the piston and .

Old 10-21-2014, 09:27 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
My son-in-law just asked a question - sounds crazy, but all of this runaway stuff started when I hooked up the new scangauge I bought. Right after I put the engine back together from retorquing the injectors, I connected the scanguage and programmed in some X-guages. But, I've never done that before and am not positive I did it correctly. Also, I bought the SG used off of ebay and don't know what was programmed into it before. I started it for the first time and headed to the gas station and it died on the way. Figured I was out of gas, put some in, started up again, and it ranaway. The SG has been plugged in since then although I haven't even looked at it.

Could something in that SG be screwing with my computer, or commanding something off/on that shouldn't be?

Old 10-21-2014, 09:29 PM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CPB1
Your runaway could be fuel/oil that is left over in the intercooler and getting blown into the intake. You can take the intercooler hose off and try it.

I would want to rule that out also. The ccv (crankcase ventilation) tube that connects to the driver valve cover and feeds into the tip (turbo inlet pipe) could've caused the inner cooler to fill and this would explain everything. Points to Chuck!!!! Definately have the oil fill cap off on the next start up.

I'd remove the cac (charge air cooler) cold side tube. That is the elbow that points to the driver side and try it again. If it doesnt take off with it not connected,, then you can try and run a couple shop vacs,, one on output blowing into one side,, the other vac sucking on the other side. Or you could just pull the cac. Lol.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:31 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by jswartz84
CCV is Crankcase ventilation. Most motors have a small amount of blow by which is reintroduced into the intake. In the 6.0, it is in the air intake right before the turbo.

Blow by is oil vapors escaping past the piston and .
OK. So, that tube that comes from the driver's side valve cover up to the intake behind the air filter/before the turbo is the CCV tube? I did have that still installed today (and of course, during the first runaways) although I had the rest of the intake off so I could plug it up if need be.

Did notice some wetness in there when I was putting it back together yesterday. Tried to dry it out. Also noticed that the turbo fins were cleaner than before the runaways, as if fuel was going through them and washing them off.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:42 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Super Duty Service
I would want to rule that out also. The ccv (crankcase ventilation) tube that connects to the driver valve cover and feeds into the tip (turbo inlet pipe) could've caused the inner cooler to fill and this would explain everything. Points to Chuck!!!! Definately have the oil fill cap off on the next start up.

I'd remove the cac (charge air cooler) cold side tube. That is the elbow that points to the driver side and try it again. If it doesnt take off with it not connected,, then you can try and run a couple shop vacs,, one on output blowing into one side,, the other vac sucking on the other side. Or you could just pull the cac. Lol.

just thought to look at the codes. SG says 7 codes but only shows these: P0113, P0472 P0134 and c3201

I'll go look them up

Old 10-21-2014, 10:03 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
[QUOTE=Super Duty Service;14759939]I would want to rule that out also. The ccv (crankcase ventilation) tube could've caused the inner cooler to fill.

HOW WOULD IT CAUSE IT? BEING PLUGGED UP, OR JUST BEING THE WAY BLOW BY WAS MAKING IT INTO THE TURBO?

Definately have the oil fill cap off on the next start up.

TO SEE IF SMOKE COMES OUT? COULD I SEE THAT SMOKE BY JUST CRANKING IT, OR DOES IT NEED TO START? (STARTING IS SCARY).

YOU MEAN TRY IT WITH COLD SIDE OFF, AND IF IT DOESN'T RUNAWAY WHEN I GIVE IT PEDAL, THEN PULL THE OTHER SIDE OFF TOO AND TRY TO GIVE IT EVEN MORE PEDAL? I HAVE ONE SHOP VAC AND SEVERAL SMALLER VACUUM CLEANERS. DOES THE CONNECTION NEED TO BE SEALED OR JUST A LOOSE BLOW/SUCK IN THE RESPECTIVE TUBES? I ASSUME BLOW INTO DRIVER'S SIDE/SUCK ON PASSENGER SIDE?

WHERE IS THE INTERCOOLER?

Old 10-21-2014, 10:05 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you sure about p0134?

Old 10-21-2014, 10:20 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 78fordman
Are you sure about p0134?
I think so. As I scrolled through them I saw those numbers twice, but then it went away. I'm not good with SG yet. I've always had the EGR code since mine's deleted, and I've had a glowplug code too.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:21 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The scan Gauge has nothing to do with the on going issue at hand. The Scan Gauge allows you to see the data that the PCM/ECU is seeing without having a high dollar scanner.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:23 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman
The scan Gauge has nothing to do with the on going issue at hand. The Scan Gauge allows you to see the data that the PCM/ECU is seeing without having a high dollar scanner.
Yeah, it seemed far-fetched but thought I'd throw it out there.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:24 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Whoa, I see I've somehow earned "senior user" status on the forum now. Is there not a "senior FU" status? I'll have to be careful not to sound like a know a damn thing to anyone now.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:29 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
P0134 is an oxygen sensor code......your truck doesn't have one!

P0472 is an EBP sensor code....Next to the T-stat housing. Easy to break it if your not careful.

P0113 is an IAT sensor code... You have 2 of these sensors.

C3201 is a seat belt code....

Check the connectors on the engine for the IAT and the EBP and clear the codes.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:29 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
One HEUI 6.0L injector cutaway with labeling.

HEUI Injector

The page where that image came from.
http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/injector.htm

Sean

Old 10-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
The status is dependent on post count!

Quick Reply: <Sob>My truck getting worse instead of better