6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

<Sob>My truck getting worse instead of better

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 05:07 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 80 Posts
Looking at the print Yahiko posted the link to earlier.

Looks like it takes power to the PKBK (Pink w/black trace) and ground to BK (black).

Maybe someone else can confirm? Usually grounds aren't included in these prints unless they're switched or have some specific function. That looks a little odd they way they have it here but hey do have the ground symbol there at G100.

Many vehicles have a pin in the OBDII plug to power the fuel pump. Couldn't find anything like that on a F250 Diesel. Ford simply says to "command " it on with IDS.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:00 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
Tell me if this sounds right

OK. I decided that those few little drops of fuel were residual, so I did a bubble test and everything looked fine. Started it up and got a puff of smoke when it first caught and then nothing while it idled for several minutes. Sounded good, wasn't even running rough, I guess all those cycles of the fuel pump got most of the air out.

But, after 4-5 minutes, I gave it some pedal and it hiccupped out a big cloud of white smoke. So I shut it down quickly.

Checked the dipstick and it hadn't gained any volume. Tried to start it again, and it stumbled badly, seemed to hang up and didn't spin freely, but I only cranked on it a few seconds and it didn't start.

Checked the dipstick again. Then decided to do a bubble test again. When I took the cap and filter off, I found the little notched ring and the oring in the fuel bowl. Not sure if it fell off when I lifted the filter or was already off.

Anyway, I cranked it with the key off and it didn't stumble anymore. So, I've recorded a vid of it cranking and would like some opinions whether it sounds normal or if it sounds like I've dropped a cylinder.

Could the hiccup and smoke be residual fuel in the oil? Or any other cause that doesn't mean my engine is majorly messed up? I'm trying to be overly cautious. If it hadn't runaway from me that time, I would have probably kept running it to see if it would clear up.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:27 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Hey, how do these two pieces go back into the fuel bow? I assume the notched ring matches up to the notched ring on the center pole, but where does the oring go? I assume on top of the notched ring. Don't see any mention of this in the Tech folder topic. Is something broken for this to be loose?

Old 10-20-2014, 07:50 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
The video is private so we can't watch it.
They go on the top of the stand pipe in the fuel filter housing
not sure how they go back on.

Sa for the running hiccup your going to have air in the HPOP
until you can get it out and run it harder.

I think you drips most likely were just left from the earlier
problem.

Rusty is right on the ground. It is the G100.

Sean

Old 10-20-2014, 08:03 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Sorry, I made them public so you should be able to view now. thanks.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:21 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
I think the parts your looking at may be from the filter.
The ring is cream colored and not black and the O-ring
is not blue but black. Look into the center of the filter
and see it the parts are there. I can post a photo of the
inside of a new filter later. But have a look at one of
Anthony's at SDS videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...PZ0o4bjw#t=144

I set it so that you should jump in and see the top of that stand pipe.

On your video. I think it's OK but lets see what others say.

Sean

Old 10-20-2014, 10:19 PM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It sounds to me like you have one cylinder with no compression.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:21 AM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by IHateCommieCars
Sorry, I made them public so you should be able to view now. thanks.
I heard an even crank for about 3 seconds and then just barely a hint of a speed up thereafter. I really can't decide, but find it encouraging. I've heard thdm so bad it aounds like there trying to crank-- on a running truck.

Your batteries are very strong. Disconnect one and do it again. You will get a slower turn that will exacerbate any uneven cranking. If you don't hear it with much weaker batteries, you're good to go.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:00 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by BryanStein
I heard an even crank for about 3 seconds and then just barely a hint of a speed up thereafter. I really can't decide, but find it encouraging. I've heard thdm so bad it aounds like there trying to crank-- on a running truck.

Your batteries are very strong. Disconnect one and do it again. You will get a slower turn that will exacerbate any uneven cranking. If you don't hear it with much weaker batteries, you're good to go.
You don't want to try that with the FICM relay in place. It will drop
voltage very fast and help the FICM to an early grave,

Sean

Old 10-21-2014, 11:07 AM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro

OK, I'll take out the relay and try again.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:39 AM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Well, that wasn't good. Definite miss when I do that. What are the possible causes? Could it be something easy like a bad injector or glowplug?

Old 10-21-2014, 03:09 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Yahiko
You don't want to try that with the FICM relay in place. It will drop
voltage very fast and help the FICM to an early grave,

Sean
Sean, I don't think what you said is true if you are trying to turn it over with the starter wire on the passenger side fender well. It shouldn't have any power to the ficm because the key isn't switched to the on position.

Having said that, I will defer to your judgement because you are far more knowledgeable than I on this platform.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:14 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by IHateCommieCars
Well, that wasn't good. Definite miss when I do that. What are the possible causes? Could it be something easy like a bad injector or glowplug?
I am now way over head here, but it points to bad compression. You've already verified there is no fuel pouring into the oil from the injectors. I'll let others weigh in and list the potential causes.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:33 PM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it is bad compression,, then run a manual compression test. However after a runaway n hydrolock repair,, your exhaust is coated with fuel. It's gonna smoke for a while. I'd be firing it up again. I just had a hydrolock yesterday and when the cylinders are washed clean of oil,, the rings don't travel as easy as it should. If its compression,, it's getting tore down anyways,, I'd give her a couple mins running before I condemn the engine.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:03 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Sean, I don't think what you said is true if you are trying to turn it over with the starter wire on the passenger side fender well. It shouldn't have any power to the ficm because the key isn't switched to the on position.

Having said that, I will defer to your judgement because you are far more knowledgeable than I on this platform.
It would be OK to do that so long as he was not using the key to crank it.
The comment was made and that was not mentioned as to or not to.

So long as the starter solenoid wire is used and the key is off it would
be safe on the FICM but if not...

Sean

Quick Reply: <Sob>My truck getting worse instead of better