Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boot's Brick Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
*&-XL-Squared (whom i shall now refer to as XL from now on) thanks for all the info. The rear tank and rear fuel pump/sending unit have been replaced since i got the truck ( i bought them new for my 87, but never installed them) and the frame mounted high pressure pump just got replaced ( and the fuel line decided to develop a small crack, yay) I'm thinking m going to try swapping my old 87 cluster in, to see if it's the cluster itself. The previous owner told me last week that the gauges worked before, so im wondering if its from sitting, or it its a difference in the 87 to 89 sending unit.

i was going to delete the front tank, but i havent decided. the truck came with a new fuel pump/sending unit for the front tank, i may just spend $100 and get them both operational. donno, still deciding.

I did pull a nice red bench out of my parts shed, the one with the fold down center armrest. i'll swap that in this week, while i wait for the fuel line to arrive.

i did roll the truck out ( it drives, just drips fuel) and snapped a picture for you all. I cant wait forthe body lift to be gone. I'm actually going to go look at a donor body in a few weeks.

Name:  pxwvKpD.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  2.92 MB

Old 10-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Note: the drivers door and fender have been repainted. the rest of the truck wears that faded, pinkish tone.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:12 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Dang you're lucky!

If I were closer to ya, I'd lend a hand in restoring it...lol

Old 10-14-2014, 04:12 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

well, bad news. Ford has discontinued the fuel line i need. does LMC offer these lines? or does someone have one off a parts truck?

Old 10-14-2014, 04:56 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think anybody sells our year fuel lines. I think you are stuck to a junkyard find only.
Trav

Old 10-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

ok peoples, can anyone hook me up? i'll also start a new thread just asking about this subject.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:13 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Bootlegger's Deluxe
well, bad news. Ford has discontinued the fuel line i need. does LMC offer these lines? or does someone have one off a parts truck?
Ran into the same issue with my 1992. Tool of a PO couldn't afford the $6 tool to remove the rear fuel line/fuel tank, so they got cutter happy and used a bolt shoved into a piece of rubber hose, that was shoved over the remaining end of the fuel line.

LMC Truck, nor anyone else for that matter, sells the fuel lines (I needed the rear portion from the filter BACK) as far as I know...

Neither does Ford. AFAIK, it's a OEM Discontinued part that the only way to get one NEW, is to find a random Stealership that hasn't purged their stock in 30 years.

So to the junkyard it was. I purchased a "New" one, in mint condition for $15 (Me removing it).

Thank goodness for Ford buddies!

So that looks like your only option.

Sorry

Old 10-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Shadow944795
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice find you lucky fellow. I look forward to many updates to come on this bad boy.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:00 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

so, I've been taking the brick out for short jaunts around town. I only live 2 blocks from my parents house, so it gets run back and forth from there. it seems that every time i fire it up, it runs a bit better.

Until tonight.

Tonight i decided to order some burgers from the local joint in town. 1 mile drive, all 25 mph. i drive to the bar, park the truck out front. come back out in 5 minutes with burgers, hop in the truck fires right up. Get approx halfway home, truck sputters and dies. im sitting dead in the water in the middle of the street. Crank the truck, but it wont fire. Crank again, no fire. after about 6 or so times, the battery is too weak. I push the truck into a small business' driveway. I walk home.

When i swing back an hour or so later, i jumpstart the truck, and it fires immediately. i drive it back to the garage, and here i am, scratching my head.

First off, i plucked the battery, am going to have it tested. it seems a bit weak to only take 6 attempts to kill off a group 65.

But from what i can gather, the truck doesnt run right when it gets warmed up, thoughts?

Old 10-15-2014, 10:19 PM
wag53
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the fuel line, iirc on my '90 it was plastic tubing inide another larger plastic tube. If so, check Mcmaster-carr, they carry that type tubing. Also it's metric 8mm I think, they also carry pushlock fittings to connect. Just strip back the outer tube and splice inner tube

Old 10-16-2014, 12:26 AM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by wag53
On the fuel line, iirc on my '90 it was plastic tubing inide another larger plastic tube. If so, check Mcmaster-carr, they carry that type tubing. Also it's metric 8mm I think, they also carry pushlock fittings to connect. Just strip back the outer tube and splice inner tube
I'll check into that. Thank you.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

so, i have been battling the truck lately. it has a habit of stalling out on me, instead of re-typing, here is my rant on the help thread i had started.

I am ready to pull my hair out.

so, i have discovered the truck has a bad Fuel pressure regulator. how did i know it was bad? i tugged the vacuum line off of it, and fuel ran out the top bung. Needless to say, i replaced the part this afternoon.

However, while the idle of the truck smoothed out to a glassy smooth rumble, the truck is still doing the same issue. upon fire up, the truck will idle at 45 psi, and will stay there indefinitely if i do not drive it. but once i begin driving, the fuel pressure will drop steadily from 45 psi to 15 psi, where the truck will stall out. Even if i pull over and idle alongside the road, the pressure still falls. i have been driving around this small iowa town with my fuel gauge taped to the outside of my windshield, so i can monitor this.

A new discovery tonight is that once the truck is stalled out, if i relieve the remaining pressure from the fuel system using my fuel pressure gauge relief valve, the truck will once again fire up and idle at 45 psi. once i begin driving, it once again falls.

please, can someone point me in the right direction?? i'm going nuts.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:28 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Dorman sells fuel line in 25' lengths.
They also have the fittings and splices.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/docume...uyersguide.pdf

Old 11-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Tonight was not a good night.

last weekend, i ended up pulling off the bed off of the Brick, setting it aside, and furthur diagnosing the fuel issues. i plucked the rusty, hammered front tank out, and decided to delete it. i spent some time carefully lying up wires and such, for a neat installation.

Tonight i was building the fuel line block offs, and i decided that, since i was waiting for my pops to arriv,e i would get out the torch and take care off the oversized bed bolts that had the body lift seized onto them. got the first three off, no problem. the last one, located right behind the cab on the drivers frame rail, got torched off, the same as the rest. however, then the chaos ensued.

The molten hot head of the bolt somehow didnt fall, it decided to richochet back, and drop between the plastic fuel lines and the frame rail. i grabbed my water bucket i keep handy.... and it was ice. Crap, the flames are growing! grab the fire extinguisher, the lever broke. i was sweating bullets by now. i pulled off my old work carhartt jacket and started beatingthe flames into submission. FINALLY!

The damage? all 4 fuel lines are melted 3" wide. my jacket is singed, my hand is cut up, apparently i hit something while flailing. and i need a new fire extinuisher.

so, looks like i need to do some figuring on my fuel line setup. Cant i just pull it all out and somehow make it all out of steel line??