Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2014, 07:03 PM
Posting Guru

teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.
OT: Rant - Value versus completion

I spent the weekend looking at 5 different cars and trucks for possible purchases. I ended the weekend with an empty trailer and a pocket full of cash. I didn't have a travel buddy to vent to so I came here. I pen this as a letter.

Dear Seller,
Thank you for posting your nightmare on Craigslist/Ebay/Backpage/Etc. I am sorry you have to sell your project because life got in the way. It happens to all of us. However, when I arrive at your home/work/shop/parking lot, please have the vehicle in such a place where I can visibly look things over. Having a tree/mud/guard dog/your half-brothers 30 year old sofa blocking my access doesn't help seal the deal. You want me to buy the car/truck, right? I am not a maid, I am not here to clear away your trash before I can get to the car. It is not like I showed up unexpectedly. I did call/email/text prior to showing up. I am sure you are a trustworthy guy but I need to look things over.

While we are on the subject of your car, what makes you think I want to buy your screwed up chopped/shaved/frenched frankenturd? So you tried to put an F100 on a Datsun frame? That's not my problem. Don't have a title because you didn't want to pay the DMV $30 back during your college years? Why should that make me happy. I can see you had a dream but like most dreams it ends with you waking up and realizing you are in over your head. We have all done that. I might even be interested in taking your nightmare off your hands but I will not pay premium dollars for something that is less than complete. The more complete it is the more value it has. Telling me that it just needs a little work when the quarter panel is rotted out or there is no wiring harness to be found leads me to understand why you are selling the vehicle in the first place. Again, you may be a nice guy but I need a steering wheel that was actually installed correctly and not duct taped into place.

Please, dear seller, be realistic. It will take me (if I even buy your vehicle) hours upon hours to make the vehicle road worthy again. All those bits of rust and dents requires time and money to make it right. All those modifications you attempted to the frame didn't make things safer. I have to spend time away from family correcting something you had no business trying in the first place. I am not saying it isn't worth it but time, as they say, is money. I would rather buy something that is more complete for a bit more money than try to undo your nightmare.

Do all of us a favor, start buying modern vehicles. Only look at classic vehicles at car shows.

Sincerely,

A concerned citizen

Ok, I am done ranting for now. For those of you out there thinking about getting into classic vehicles, buy the best you can afford. Be realistic about time/money/energy/skill. When you get in over your head ask a question. I have done that plenty of times. And lastly, don't EVER do something that makes your vehicles unsafe. While YOU may remember that the brake line is attached with nylon ties, the next guy may not know.
1955 F-100, 302, shortbed, Explorer Rear "Jamie"
'65 Mustang Coupe, '67 Mustang Coupe, '68 Mustang Convertible, '04 Mustang GT
Old 10-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Postmaster

jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.
__True true, and after chopping things up and finding out it's never going to be finished by them, they think it's worth more than they paid for it. When in reality it's worth a lot less most likely .____JIM

35 chevy street rod 200 4/R , 350 crate engine.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Post Fiend

truckdog62563 is a splendid one to beholdtruckdog62563 is a splendid one to beholdtruckdog62563 is a splendid one to beholdtruckdog62563 is a splendid one to beholdtruckdog62563 is a splendid one to beholdtruckdog62563 is a splendid one to behold
This needs to be linked in reply to many of the feather brained project plans that show up here. Stu
'51 F-3; '51 F-3; '52 R32-4, '53 6M254 -parts/donors
'97 F-250 4WD/460/ZF5 - trailer duty
'03 E-450 Fun Mover; '07 E-350 parts hauler; '13 E-350 Lab taxi
Old 10-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Elder User

Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.
Good story. I know it was a rant and hope it made you feel better, but I got a kick out of it. Ignorance is hilarious to me at times.....unless it's some idiot "trying" to drive anywhere near me on my motorcycle.

'49 F1 239 Flathead
Click to see my Gallery http://tinyurl.com/p4xegzv
www.waynewaldrep.com/God
Old 10-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Oh the frustrations of the old vehicle hobby. I hate to remember the time and money I've spent chasing old iron and parts. But, then there have been some good enjoyable trips.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a whle.
If there’s one thing that the government is highly skilled at, it is creating excessive amounts of bureaucracy and extra layers of red tape for people to wade through.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:56 PM
Welder User

tinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to behold
Whenever i go to look at someones aborted "project", it's with really low expectations.....that way I'm not too disappointed if it's a POS.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...uck-build.html
"you can call a pig a duck, but that won't make it quack!"
Old 10-05-2014, 11:07 PM
Posting Guru

teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdog62563 View Post
This needs to be linked in reply to many of the feather brained project plans that show up here. Stu
Stu, you would have loved the second truck I looked at. The guy had 3 titles (frame, chassis and ????) for the truck. 3 different states too. The frame had a salvage branding on the title. None apparently matched the original truck. No data plate, nothing. It was a 53 F100 sitting on a Dakota frame. The seller told me it would only take a "quick inspection down at the State Police Post" in order to get my new title in "3-5 days". I asked him which title I should present to DMV. He said that I had to surrender all 3. I was NOT amused.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:55 AM
Posting Guru

bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.
bjmayberry2
Quote:
Originally Posted by teardropty View Post
Stu, you would have loved the second truck I looked at. The guy had 3 titles (frame, chassis and ????) for the truck. 3 different states too. The frame had a salvage branding on the title. None apparently matched the original truck. No data plate, nothing. It was a 53 F100 sitting on a Dakota frame. The seller told me it would only take a "quick inspection down at the State Police Post" in order to get my new title in "3-5 days". I asked him which title I should present to DMV. He said that I had to surrender all 3. I was NOT amused.
You didn't come down my way did you? I guy in IL showed me a 53 on a V6 Dakota frame about a year ago. Even asked me if I wanted to take a ride. But when I asked him about a title he told me the same thing you were told.
All works in progress
Old 10-06-2014, 10:00 AM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Quote:
The seller told me it would only take a "quick inspection down at the State Police Post" in order to get my new title in "3-5 days".
This statement always amuses me, and you see it in ads all the time. If it was so quick and easy, why hasn't the seller taken care of it already?

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2 View Post
You didn't come down my way did you? I guy in IL showed me a 53 on a V6 Dakota frame about a year ago. Even asked me if I wanted to take a ride. But when I asked him about a title he told me the same thing you were told.
Yes, it was in Illinois. Probably the same nightmare. Sad thing was NONE of the titles were in the guys name either. I tell people all the time, fix your problems before trying to pass them along to me. I understand this thing goes on all the time but many people don't realize it isn't exactly legit. I told this seller in my eyes such a situation turns his truck into a parts truck at best. $2400 was a lot to pay for a truck I couldn't title. He wasn't happy.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:40 PM
Junior User

gerrymoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
[QUOTE=teardropty;14718889]Stu, you would have loved the second truck I looked at. The guy had 3 titles (frame, chassis and ????) for the truck. 3 different states too. The frame had a salvage branding on the title. None apparently matched the original truck. No data plate, nothing. It was a 53 F100 sitting on a Dakota frame. The seller told me it would only take a "quick inspection down at the State Police Post" in order to get my new title in "3-5 days". I asked him which title I should present to DMV. He said that I had to surrender all 3. I was NOT amused.[/QUOTE

Actually this was quite helpful. In CA when you go to register a vehicle that has been basicly salvaged or built by someone (SB-100 titling example) they ask for this info, so having actual titles would save you alot of time. So with those and a bill of sale life is good.
I never buy anything used with the presumption that everything will go smooth, or as I expect.
In a new vehicle I only expect registration and financing to go smooth
Old 10-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Coe owner and builder

pweng1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Many of these projects are started by young high school or early twentys boys that have big dreams but no money, skillls,or knowledge. Along comes a woman and now its less time working on the project with your best friend and more time keeping the girl happy.Tell me How many of us on here been though that. Well Its a good learning experience for later in life. Ironically when we older guys start a project because now we have the skill, money and drive to get it done its things like health, time and family that keep us from working on it.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Posting Guru

GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.
Pweng.... Funny, but sadly true. Tonight I actually felt old grunting and squinting while under my truck after work. Now I'm having a glass of wine sitting in front of the tube and resting my bones. I can afford the parts, but the aches and pains, not so much. I love the premise of this thread.
'92 F350 4x4 dual wheel service truck. 7.3 with headers and glass packs. 5 sp man tran. 255 85 16 Toyos. 110,000 miles. '59 F350 9' flareside new project, cummins 6at turbo diesel, sm 465 4 spd. 255 85 16s again, 37 ford 1 1/2 ton stake with 53 flathead V8. 65 toyota landcruiser fj 45 longbed pickup. 54 GMC 3/4 ton flatbed w/ cummins 6at, '68 BSA 441 Victor Special, bone stock, Antique tractors and one lung flywheel engines .....
Old 10-07-2014, 10:05 AM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Quote:
... Sad thing was NONE of the titles were in the guys name either. I tell people all the time, fix your problems before trying to pass them along to me. I understand this thing goes on all the time but many people don't realize it isn't exactly legit. ....
This goes on all the time in any state where they collect taxes when title is transferred. I was all set to buy a motorcycle once when I asked to see the "clean title". It was an Oklahoma title, signed & dated 20+ years earlier with a scribble that "might" have been the name listed on the title. As near as I could pry out of the seller, it had been thru 4 or 5 owners since it was signed, never re-titled. Strictly speaking there are $$ penalties for every month beyond 30 days from the signature that the title isn't transferred. He gave me the song and dance about it being a snap to re-title it. I told him I'd buy it if he'd transfer it to himself, then sign it over to me. That ended the conversation.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Posting Guru

fatfenders56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.fatfenders56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Amen to all that, I don't buy anything without a title and I don't put any $ into it until that title is clear and in my name.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:24 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks