1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Another OT topic-Career changes

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 09:00 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
My plan for now is to ride out the new job and pay off my debt. Once that is settled I will take a long look at the situation and decide on what to do.

The one factor that is playing a major roll is I feel I'm in the age range where I'm not as appealing as a younger worker, I'm older and demand higher pay for my experience but a younger person would do the same work for less. I'm also not old enough to retire from one field and work myself into another field at a lower wage, using my retirement funds to supplement my income. When I changed fields 25 years ago I was a much younger person, married a couple of years without children. I was at a low paying job so I could easily step into another low paying job without a problem.

I just have to see how it all works out. Thanks guys for your comments and advice.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:48 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
My plan for now is to ride out the new job and pay off my debt. Once that is settled I will take a long look at the situation and decide on what to do.

The one factor that is playing a major roll is I feel I'm in the age range where I'm not as appealing as a younger worker, I'm older and demand higher pay for my experience but a younger person would do the same work for less. I'm also not old enough to retire from one field and work myself into another field at a lower wage, using my retirement funds to supplement my income. When I changed fields 25 years ago I was a much younger person, married a couple of years without children. I was at a low paying job so I could easily step into another low paying job without a problem.

I just have to see how it all works out. Thanks guys for your comments and advice.
That sounds like a valid plan, but you might want to keep an eye open for other opportunities that may never come your way again.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:04 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by carnut122
That sounds like a valid plan, but you might want to keep an eye open for other opportunities that may never come your way again.
I am always looking for something better. Not that I am constantly uncomfortable with the position I am in at the time, it's just I keep my options open. There is always a chance to land something better. I changed jobs 25 years ago just by chance of seeing a blind ad in the newspaper. I applied for the job and got it. I loved the job until management changed and the job turned into a living hell. For the next five years I went from job to job, all in basically the same field until I started my own business. I worked for myself for 15 years and enjoyed it up until about two years ago when the atmosphere of the industry seemed to change. I just lost the passion to do the work any more. Long hours and very little appreciation and customer loyalty. I realized in the last two years the saying, "Give the customer more than he expects" is total BS. Give more freebies and they expect more but will hope to a competitor to save 5%.

Who knows, maybe a job will come along that will really grab me. In the truck hobby (again, bringing it back to trucks) I have best luck finding deals on parts and trucks when I'm not actively searching. I've literally had people stop me on the street and walking into my shop when they see my trucks and offer me great deals on stuff.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:48 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No matter what you decide you know you will have the full support of the crazy characters that make up this group! Not sure how much good that will do but knowing we would help in any way we can sure can't hurt. No matter what try and have fun.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:13 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 49f3dls
No matter what you decide you know you will have the full support of the crazy characters that make up this group! Not sure how much good that will do but knowing we would help in any way we can sure can't hurt. No matter what try and have fun.
Oh great, I'm trusting a group of guys who will encourage anyone and everyone to buy up any old piece of rusty junk truck sitting behind a barn and encourage them to build it. That's kind of scary.

I know, I'm one of you.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:30 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Lol! That's a good point, I would much rather take my 49 f-4 out to a nice restaurant than my 05 caddy! Go figure maybe my judgement isn't the best, I'm the same guy that gave out cigarets at Halloween !!!! Lol

Old 10-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sitting here reading this as my day has unfolded. I'm late 50's, kids older and right at the edge of being on their own (might have to shove the eaglets out of the nest). I just got through with a phone interview for a job in another city in TN. Would love to get out of the Memphis area before it totally implodes. Didn't go well, but right now seems there is a lot of interest for machinists. I can take an early retirement at about 55% of what it would be in just 4 years (unless the rumored buyout of our retirement and the company being bought by a competitor). I'm a long way from SS and longer from Medicare. But like others have said, new management has taken a great job and turned it into a daily hell. Not that the grass is greener at another job.

I feel your pain! I've thought of the real estate angle, but Memphis is nowhere near recovered in that market. About as bad as it was in 2008. Don't want to get into any sales job. Couldn't sell ice water in the desert. There's a long line of folks vying to hand out carts at our local wallyworld!