Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Auxillary Braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 09:09 PM
gcspray
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Auxillary Braking

We recently added a Lance 1010 slide in camper to our rig. The truck is a 2002 F-350 CC, Dually, 4x4 with a 7.3 PS, six speed stick, and 4:10 gears. I bought the truck new and it just turned 52K miles. We tow a 24 foot enclosed race car trailer with one of our two Pontiac Trans AM cars that we show around the south east. We also live just outside of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and frequently go across the mountains to Pigeon Forge TN for car events. Even using the gears to hold back the speed, the brakes get a good workout descending the mountains on both sides. A few years ago I read about a turbo brake kit/mod that allowed back pressure from the turbo to assist with braking descending a hill with a heavy load. My dad was a retired truck driver and often talked about Jake Brakes on semi's. Dad and I built a bus into a camper years ago. We installed a Jake Brake electric type of brake that used a large generator and resistance to hold back the bus. It has settings 1 through 7. One would hold a light grade, and 7 would stop the bus! What are my best options for the least amount of costs and mods to my truck. And yes, I did several searches with no good results. Thanks, Charles.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:11 PM
gcspray
Mountain Pass
Old 09-16-2014, 05:15 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
wow.. Nice rig !. Beautiful truck with low mileage. hang on to that sucker. It will last you a very long time !.

That is one long hitch extension, Almost 4 feet?

have you looked into the exhaust valve mod? I have it on mine and netted good results. It keeps my speed in check while pulling the 5th wheel.. I don't use it much but on a long downhill i might flip the switch if i am on the brakes a lot. holds the rig back a surprising amount. Simple and dirt cheap, I have suffered no ill effects from it. You won't need the tc mod being you have a standard trans.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/2...brake-mod.html

Old 09-16-2014, 06:48 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
For several more dollars you could get a more finished product, a DP Tuner chip with some tunes for street and tow, and a decel tune. Uses the same OE exhaust back pressure valve as the mod Dan suggested, but with more bells and whistles. The main bell being more power from the engine retuning. Mine is an AT so it's important to have the trans tuning the chip provides for exhaust braking, but you have that covered with your right hand. With the decel on I hardly touch the brakes on a 6% grade with a 9k 5er. If adding power with tuning I'd also recommend an EGT gauge, so add a bit more cost and complexity.

Just another option.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:49 PM
gcspray
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the compliments and options! I found another product called a BD Brakeloc. It takes the mod y'all mention, and makes it into a kit form. I spoke to the factory today, and it sounds like a good product. 70% as effective as a full exhaust brake with a fraction of the costs. Does anyone have experience with this product?

BD Brakeloc Exhaust Brake

I made the decision to buy this truck when Ford announced that the 7.3 Liter engine would be phased out in favor of the 6.0. The stick shift was a requirement, as I got tired of having constant problems with various automatics. My previous truck had a stick, and gave many years of trouble free service. I did not want to settle for a stripped down version, but did not need a Lariat either. We found this rig at a Ford dealer 120 miles away. It is an XLT with just about every option available including a digital PTO controller. Dual six way captains chairs make for a comfortable ride. It was September 02, the factory rebates were being offered and the dealer was ready to move 02 inventory off of their lot. If nothing like an accident, theft, fire, or other unforeseen event occurs, this truck will be my last one. I plan to keep it as long as I need a truck.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:10 PM
gcspray
Mountain Pass
Dan, the Super Truss hitch extension is 36 inches. The 28 inch model is too short. The 32 and 36 have the same tow rating and the same tongue weigth rating. The 36 sticks out from the camper close to a foot, and the ballmount adds some length. The trailer misses the rear jacks on the corner by six inches when in a sharp turn. The 20K hitch becomes a 12,500 hitch with the 36 inch extension. The tongue weight rating is 1,250 lbs with weight distributing bars, and 625lbs on a dead weight pull. SuperHitch SuperTruss