Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Silly/strange truck purchases

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 06:38 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
its a shame they wont let you keep it up. nice to have a place to work in. do they think your starting a crack house in it or something? maybe you can show them your not doing anything illegal inside and theyll let you be.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:33 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
Bylaws are bylaws, if they let me get away with it everyone would be doing something like this and someone would start a crack house. Bylaw man knows what the scoop is and thats why he gave me 45 days instead of a 14 day cease and desist. Complainer calls the city on Tamarra for work he and Wayne did on her house when they were scheming to rip her off for her house. This truck is Luigi's early xmas gift. Cant hardly wait to give it to him, his wife and neighbours are gonna love it. The rain we get in the next day is going to wash the bogus sticker off of his buddies derelect car. Its parked in the most dangerous spot on the street so hopefully someone will hit it or the city garbage truck will notice the missing sticker on it the next time he curses it for being in the way. No matter, bylaw guy will find out about it when he comes by. " Derelect car, please tow me", bumper sticker should help.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:36 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
So the adventure continues, got the wire on, did it over 3 days as I didn't want to bugger up whats left of my lungs. Buggered up the filter on my oxygen concentrater instead, the kid from Parkland medical supply knows I'm whacked but thinks it's funny. Mid october in Calgary and a friggen mosquito flew past my face, it's dead now. Anyways I'm not supposed to use it outside but we think it's safer to use the machine than my E cylinder as it may ignite and burn off my face. That galvanized is hard on the lungs so I upped the useage of my salbutimol and symbicort, healthcare pays for it, I just have to deal with the parkinson twitch that it causes. I had a few odd and ends that needed to be taken care of anyway so this just created the opportunity. on with the show.

The first side I did

Second side, the plywood covers my gas cap. I wrapped a wet cloth around it and taped a plastic bag around it and repeated. Did this right from the start so that I wouldn't blow up the shop and send myself to hell.

Done

Prepping to cut out hole for light bucket

Just in case anybody forgot that I'm not refering to Courtney Love when I mentioned cutting a hole.

Allright! I get to start cleaning up my shop and start on a scrap load. I'm going to need some project specific metal, hopefully I find it for free on Kijiji and this becomes gas money. I've spent $150 on argon mix, the breakdown is $66 for a M cylinder refill and $7.85 in surcharges.

Frankie approved, she knows when the day is over, when it's coffee time, sandwich time, walks me to the store, talks to everyone I know and plays 40 questions, it's like having a kid in the shop.
The tail lights are installed but I want to make a pair of shrouds so I make pics of that. All I got left to do is to make rear doors but I'm looking for the rest of my hinges. I'll make the doors and install the locking door for now and install the swing door when I find them, half a hinge pair actually have the mail side but not the female reciever. Welding skills are getting better, only burnt thru the wire mesh 3 times.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:14 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
are you making some kind of animal cage for a circus truck?

Old 10-19-2014, 02:27 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Kind of, I'm putting a sign board inside of it and parking it in front of an aholes house. It should make him go Apesnit. Theres plywood going behind the window, across the roof and on the rear doors. the rear doors are getting temporarily welded shut. I'm letting someone know that this game he's playing is now being played by my rules. The last post will explain all.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:14 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
What do you do when your meds are rotting your gut and wont let you sleep?, weld up your door frames. I,ve been sorting metal, getting it ready for the next truck and figuring out which pieces I can use on this one. So far all the metal Iv'e used has been stuff I kept from the scrap yard and hasn't cost me anything. Welding is getting better, sure helps having a good welder. It's a Lincoln T140 and has a really good setting guide, it's also nice having a 40 amp outside line, it's set up for 2 block heaters and interior warmers. All Iv'e got left to do is mount the doors, rig up a latch and lock system and tack on my wire mesh and then I can get it registered insured and on the street. There still will be a few things to do but that can be done on the street in November. The next project has to get in and out and I have to build our buy a metal frame for the next workshop incarnation. Theres a guy who needs lumber for his basement reno and either he or his father are going to help me drop this joint. Everything has to be done by the 8th or life gets stressful. Bylaw man is just doing his job and I need to keep him in good standing if I want to continue stretching the bylaws.

my custom welding table

welding is getting better

I sure like these hinges, always have served me well, hope it's not the last time I use them.

Door frames 3/16 x 1.5" square tubing, same stock I'll be using on next truck. That thread will be " Katy P loses her box" it will be a normal flatdeck that goes on. Checker plate floor on angle cross bracing, proper headache rack. Heres a pick of the truck the metal came from.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:50 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
looks like your using a better welder then a flux core one! what is the make and model your using?

Old 10-22-2014, 12:19 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
It's a Lincoln T140, it has 4 amp settings and a really good metal,amp setting, wire and speed chart. Does all the thinking for you, just got to remember to make your swirls. Takes the argon hose, not that plastic tube. Asks to use 30-40 lb pressure but I'm running at between 15 and 20 for thin gauge and 25 for the thicker plate. cleaner the metal the better it hums. Truck is done as far as I needed in order to put it on the street, just a few mechanical things are needed but they can wait til I get all my projects done. Priorities.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:50 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Went to insure and register truck today, insurance has changed policy on old vin#s, you now need to bring in a pic of your vin for verification. Somebody has been pulling scams I guess, but no problem. Go home, take pic, email it to insurance, computer wont upload pic as email attachment. So I guess I go back down tomorrow with printer copy, no problems uploading to photobucket.

Forgot to upload pics of rear doors so I'm giving you some general shots

This is my real project. 78 F350 custom cab on a 89 F350 frame. The frame is from the green truck pictured earlier. This was my old work truck, 8'x12' dump box on the long wheelbase frame. It was a good truck and served me well. Everbody talks about a rust free truck, this one is truly rust free, never winter or rain driven and tarped over under a shelter from end of Nov to April every year. 76.000 miles over 34 years. It's being converted into a 5th wheel RV puller with some cab and box modifications that should make it somewhat unique.

This box comes off and goes onto project and flat deck goes on, tomorrows job

The cage truck gets put on the street and the details get done on it on a day by day basis. The priority is to get the large welding jobs done while I still have the big shop. When it's all done I'll do a photo set plus I'll do a photo set tomorrow to show you what an ugly truck looks like. I'm not going to pretty it up as it may become a body metal donor plus the drivetrain is good and so is the glass so it will get parted out and I'll get my investment back. I'll figure out tomorrow what my actual cost into it is.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:51 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Well, this is what it looks like. There will be some black put on the box to stop the rust and I'm putting on a set of mirrors on, they came off the green 89 posted earlier. I know there's still half a hinge missing but I know that it'll get found in the next week, Iv'e got a couple of sets left somewhere in my mess. here goes.

It's Frankie approved, silly cat uses it for a playground

I'm not fixing the door until the truck comes back but the mirrors are goners, the shake and move all over the place.

The hood latch is a pita to work but it can stay that way. I just want to make sure nobody screws with truck, it's got a dirty job to do.

It's official, it's Frankie's truck, just hope she doesn't want to drive it. My other cat wont go near it. Next post will be the way it looks before it gets work prepped and that will be the 2nd last post.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:51 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
boy that thing came out great! i need to get one to haul my kids around in the back.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:47 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
I tell ya skip, theres been a few neighbours ask if its a circus truck or if I'm putting animals in it. Ken said it would be a good dog hauler, his dog is half the size of Frankie but ya kids would go in there real good. It looks like I'm within $15. of my break even point, just want to make sure I have all my receipts. Need to replace vavle cover gasket, leaks like a sieve, smokes like a bbq. Got a gasket set given to me a year and a half ago and its got a set of corks in it, oil breather is part of the problem so I'll if theres some sort of rubber seal in my trany box. The transmission shop down the street cleaned up thier shop and threw out a bunch of trans seal and gasket packs. Most were open but only had a piece or 2 used, so now I got a few hundred or so seals, orings, clips and other odd ball .10 parts you always need. Not a bad trip to the grocery store, uh hah uh hah. Til later