General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Headaches

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 01:36 PM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to get migraines all the time when I was in school. Turns out the trigger for me was florescent lights. Because they constantly are flickering. I started getting them again in an office job because it was the same lighting.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:21 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had minor headaches all my life like most folks have. About 15yrs ago I started getting them so bad that they would all but paralyze me instantly. Several trips to the Dr. only offered slight relief. I would be fine one moment and the next I would be in bed with a cold washcloth over my head.

About 2yrs later I went to the dentist and he informed me that I had a sinus infection. Funny my sinuses didn't hurt. So the next morning, back to the Dr. Got a script for antibiotics and I haven't had a bad headache since. Now if I feel even the slight bit congested I use the neti-pot and wash out my sinuses.

I also changed Dr.'s

Old 01-08-2016, 07:58 PM
High Cetane
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump-
Any updates? Anyone cured? New members to the club?

Originally Posted by Furyus1
I've already had 1 stroke as a result of my condition -

The most common type I get are called cluster migraines -
In your post you never mentioned your BP. I've suffered from Clusters myself going on 2mos, but believe I've turned a corner.

Originally Posted by Tedster9
My dad used to get those "cluster" headaches. They are in a league of their own.
Indeed.

Originally Posted by Tedster9
I remember looking into it, and some found relief with pharmaceutical oxygen. Worth a try anyway.
Oxygen seems to be the preferred recommendation, but rare that a ins co will pony up.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:33 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 69 Likes on 68 Posts
That's what the Welding Supply Co. is for. Ha ha. (kidding, sort of)

Old 01-12-2016, 03:22 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Terry's comments are spot on. I've had migraines off and on for 40+ years. It helps to learn your triggers and avoid them if at all possible.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:33 PM
Travis S
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 19fifty4
Terry's comments are spot on. I've had migraines off and on for 40+ years. It helps to learn your triggers and avoid them if at all possible.
Sounds like a great idea. Mine are seemingly out of the blue (i've not been as diligent in logging details), but the remedy is always the same. 2-3 tylenol, , total darkness, silence (a fan is okay) and 2hrs of sleep.

Trying to tough it out with Excedrin Migraine always makes it worse by completely debilitating me until I puke.

First time I got a migraine was around 9 years old, according to my mom. First one I recognized as a migraine (visual weirdness, black 'static' in my vision, etc) was at 18. Usually, I have about 5 minutes once I recognize it's a migraine to put the treatment into play or it's too late.

Light makes it worse, sound does too. My glasses make it hell by 'intensifying' everything visual. I get them about once a month. My ex-fiancee and I had a running joke about it being 'my time of the month'

Old 09-04-2016, 02:24 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 69 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Travis S
Sounds like a great idea. Mine are seemingly out of the blue (i've not been as diligent in logging details), but the remedy is always the same. 2-3 tylenol, , total darkness, silence (a fan is okay) and 2hrs of sleep. Trying to tough it out with Excedrin Migraine always makes it worse by completely debilitating me until I puke. First time I got a migraine was around 9 years old, according to my mom. First one I recognized as a migraine (visual weirdness, black 'static' in my vision, etc) was at 18. Usually, I have about 5 minutes once I recognize it's a migraine to put the treatment into play or it's too late. Light makes it worse, sound does too. My glasses make it hell by 'intensifying' everything visual. I get them about once a month. My ex-fiancee and I had a running joke about it being 'my time of the month'
Aspirin and other NSAID (Ibuprofen) have some reported links to stomach ulcers. You don't want those either.

Tylenol is supposed to be a different deal as far as that goes, though to make up for it, people who drink a lot of alcohol at night pop Tylenol like candy the next morning (hint: it's processed in the liver too.) Oops! Don't do this.

I agree dehydration is part of the problem with mild headaches, tho the cluster headaches are something else. That's what you're describing. Like an ice pick behind your eye? Red eyes, watering? Do you see flashes of light to signal an onset? Try some O2, at least that was a treatment some years ago. I'd look into the treatments specifically for cluster headaches, maybe they've come up with something better by now. Hope this helps. I'm not a doctor, see yours. Use only as directed. Be right with Auto-Lite.