1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spike for trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 03:59 PM
JSchuricht
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you do this, I would go for something less conspicuous than a spike. Perhaps build a sleeve to go over the tube on your existing receiver so it just looks like your receiver is long. From there you could get a bit more creative by letting it slide back with some springs and a 1/2" bolt on the inside. If someone hits it with enough force, it slides back, they hit a stationary bolt but when they pull back the sleeve pops back out covering the bolt. The reason for using a bolt is it's cheep to replace and easier to pass off as part of the receiver but even with a blunt end a 1/2" bolt will go right through a plastic bumper.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:06 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As tempting as it is(can't say I haven't had those thoughts too), I can't say following through with it would be too wise. Back when I was in college I parallel parked by the dining hall and ran in to get something to eat and a car pulled within an inch of my back bumper. I was walking to my truck to leave when a guy parked about an inch off of my front bumper and blocked me in. I asked him to pull up so I could get out and he smarted off and told me to have fun getting out and went inside to eat. I put it in 4 low and shoved his car into the next space so I could get out. I would have loved to have something like a spike on it then, but leaving visable damage probably would have gotten me in a bit of trouble .

Old 09-10-2014, 09:40 PM
minke
More Turbo
Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
in NYC the parking technque used is back in til you hit the parked car behind you, then go forward til you hit the parked car in front of you, then back up a few inches. The drivers will get out and look at the impact areas for some reason, then move on. So i cant call this accidental. ...
I learned to drive in NYC (and left ~45 years ago). This particular technique is called "parking by sound". Another technique that non-NYers should at least learn about is "leading with a fender". There is just so much to learn.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:56 PM
02 Super Duty Guy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thenewboss
I use this...

Amazon.com: Smittybilt 27046B Beaver Step for 2" Hitch: Automotive

Very handy to have, useful in many ways, including yours
I have a drawtite bed step also....effin love that thing

Old 09-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
in NYC the parking technque used is back in til you hit the parked car behind you, then go forward til you hit the parked car in front of you, then back up a few inches. The drivers will get out and look at the impact areas for some reason, then move on.

It's why there are bumpers. Plus, having the truck w/hitches means you come out fine - the other person gets their cars painted bumper scratched.

I hope... once you get older you'll discover lots of more important things to be worried about..

Old 09-12-2014, 06:16 AM
Number21
Senior User
PLEASE install one of these and come park next to my truck. I want to replace my bumpers anyway with the newer ones....and I want somebody else to pay for it.

The fact is, a standard hitch ball will both act as a bumper, and protect your real bumper, while still punching a hole in anything it hits. I've personally witnessed a hitch ball stuck in two grilles and through a building. Nice little round hole every time.

If you install a spike it's going to be your fault even if somebody else rams into you.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:56 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by JSchuricht
If you do this, I would go for something less conspicuous than a spike. Perhaps build a sleeve to go over the tube on your existing receiver so it just looks like your receiver is long. From there you could get a bit more creative by letting it slide back with some springs and a 1/2" bolt on the inside. If someone hits it with enough force, it slides back, they hit a stationary bolt but when they pull back the sleeve pops back out covering the bolt. The reason for using a bolt is it's cheep to replace and easier to pass off as part of the receiver but even with a blunt end a 1/2" bolt will go right through a plastic bumper.

Yes, it does not need to be more than a few inches long because the issue is folks back up til they crash into your vehicle. so a 3" spike is probally fine. I intend to secure a rubber hose to the spike with a hose clamp so pedestrians don't cut them selves if they walk across the spike. Il make the rubber hose about a half inch longer than the spike. so when the crash durby drivers back up, the rubber hose will give way, and the spik will penetrate their bumper leaving a hole. multiple offense will give yu multiple holes.

now to find the spikes.

I just finished installing the front hitch. already had a back hitch.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:03 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Originally Posted by phillips91
As tempting as it is(can't say I haven't had those thoughts too), I can't say following through with it would be too wise. Back when I was in college I parallel parked by the dining hall and ran in to get something to eat and a car pulled within an inch of my back bumper. I was walking to my truck to leave when a guy parked about an inch off of my front bumper and blocked me in. I asked him to pull up so I could get out and he smarted off and told me to have fun getting out and went inside to eat. I put it in 4 low and shoved his car into the next space so I could get out. I would have loved to have something like a spike on it then, but leaving visable damage probably would have gotten me in a bit of trouble .

nice story...thanks for sharing...flash backs to my younger days.

so in NYS you can't move another persons vehicle by pushing your way out there is a law on the books and while I have seen many folks bump and grind their way out of a parking spot...I never seen anyone get a ticket for moving someone elses vehicle.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:00 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
new neighbors moved in as renters. they park their cars on my front bumper...dead on it zero space. not sure what that means. I asked them about it and they told me to go get F#%ked. spike hitch idea is sounding better all the time.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:21 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Time for a set of old school tow truck bumpers . Holmes style . Full wrap around , 1/2 plate , 3 ft tall . Front and rear with overrides .

Old 01-16-2015, 05:40 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Nice neighbors you got there..

Old 01-16-2015, 08:22 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
My trucks have never been bumped but it because of the long walks I take when parking. My wifes car has been bumped plenty of times but it is always on the corners, never straight on. If in New York it may not be possible, but I always park way out in the lot with my F350 and Ranger. They are 11 and 12 years old and don't have so much as a door ding, knock on wood.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:39 AM
MadWolf
Tuned
new neighbors moved in as renters. they park their cars on my front bumper...dead on it zero space. not sure what that means. I asked them about it and they told me to go get F#%ked. spike hitch idea is sounding better all the time.

First of all, I love the spike idea, even if it was for no reason, lol. That's a total madmax type of accessory. But it's a passive solution.

that's unbelievable that new renters would have the nerve to tell you to get ****ed. These things can escalate quickly. Is it young kids that moved in, or a family? My first thought would be to contact their landlord. As I am one myself, I'd flip out if my tenants cursed out the neighbor. Be calm and methodical, but it sounds like your gonna have to put them in line somehow. Hitch Spike or not! lol

Old 01-17-2015, 08:59 AM
greg807
Junior User
Saw this the other day- not a spike, I would like a set of spikes, but until then, this may be a cost effective step with shock absorption.

WeatherTech BumpStep® Hitch Mounted Bumper Protection | WeatherTech.com

Old 01-17-2015, 04:12 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by greg807
Saw this the other day- not a spike, I would like a set of spikes, but until then, this may be a cost effective step with shock absorption.

WeatherTech BumpStep® Hitch Mounted Bumper Protection | WeatherTech.com
That is like the one I linked in the Youtube in post #5 Both are good options.
One thing you really need to do is put up a nigh-vision camera with 24hr
recording. This Nice" person may be a real Jackass and if something dose
happen you want something to hand the cops.

Quick Reply: spike for trailer hitch