New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: Viewing through the eyes of a show judge, how can this Ford be improved
Exterior
0%
Interior
33.33%
Engine Bay
0%
Other
33.33%
Comments Please
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

79 F150 Re-Birth

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Troys Toy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
79 F150 Re-Birth

Leather

Ford 460 CI

Wanted to share my joy! Please take a look. She has received a well deserved frame off restoration. She served me well for many years before getting her new lease on life. Please share your thoughts as I plan to start showing next week. Below are pics, but check out the you-tube video as well.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:30 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,290 Likes on 2,446 Posts
Very very nice truck, lots of hard work and it shows. Clean engine compartment and underside. I like the color choices also.

No offence but...

I would of got new rear 4" or 6" lift springs and did away with the 2 other stacked blocks along with the OEM on the rear axle. Lift springs and the one OEM block with the bump stop wing.

Swapped out the front sump oil pan for a rear sump one. And I would of got a different block front, so you would not have 2 dip sticks, the car block one that is chrome, is nice.

What heater control panel is that, never seen a 4 turn **** control.

Why did you put the cab light control switch in the ash tray with another odd toggle switch. It's that bad a deal to out it where it goes. Those header look packed in there and awful close to the front d/s.

Sorry brother you asked, but I love all the rest.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Troys Toy
New User
I did ask and deeply appreciate your feedback! Hope others are as willing. The other switch is for front and rear gas tank. Cargo light was added and I didn't want the switch where it was factory placed, since I don't smoke it seemed like the right solution. Thanks again, I will update all after implementing many of the suggestions that come from this post.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:41 PM
weez440
Senior User
welcome to the forum, beautiful truck you have there. other than what 77&79 said i would do away with the rims, they are nice don't get me wrong but just don't fit on a lifted 79 ford. also i would spend a little time and get the bluing over the letters off. other that that it is great.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Troys Toy
New User
Thanks for the feedback. "bluing over the letters"? Please clarify...

Old 09-02-2014, 08:56 PM
weez440
Senior User
the inner wall of the brand new tires has the blue stuff over the white lettering. take the tires/rims off and you can pressure wash or scrub it off. eventually it will wear off but as a show truck i don't know if you plan on driving it really that much or not. heck with as much room as you have, you can crawl under there with a pale of soap water and wash it off. it just kind of sticks out to me as a small detail that is easy to take care of.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:06 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Come on over here more often, careful what you ask for as far as opinions, cause it might get rather heated in the kitchen, but like you said "I did ask".

Still a very nice truck and lots of hard work was put into it.

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 09-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Troys Toy
New User
Got it! Amazing how we get so caught up in the big picture we miss those details! Thank you Weez440!

Old 09-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Troys Toy
New User
Thank you 77 & 79 F250. Not only did I ask for it I want it. This is the only way I achieve my goals is by getting feedback through the eyes of potential judges. I dont want to only show, I want to win. If you saw me you would quickly determine, my skin is plenty thick!

Old 09-04-2014, 07:40 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Well ok then here goes, this is just outside observations and not meant to be mean or a jerk. I will never have a truck no where sharp as yours, so no insult to all your hard work. Ok?

I really do not like the placement of the cargo light switch in the ash tray, and or the tank switch. I feel they should of been placed where they are suppose to be, because IMO them just being thrown in there, interrupts the normal flow of the dash lines.

Now I see that you have a way different environmental control set up and can see where you would not be able to put the tank switch where is normally goes. What's up with that heat and a/c control panel anyway? Must be to that aftermarket a/c set up right?

That steering wheel.....you went for a clean almost OEM/slightly modded look, and nailed it good, so why that steering wheel choice? Did you chrome or just clean the heck out of the steering column and or the shift indicator area?

That wood grain dash bezel, glove box outer ring and globe box door means you should have the wood grain on the door panels to be a true XLT I think, but I know you can not get them new, no where.

Instead of making the rest of the duel exhaust a exhaust shops nightmare and doing the split duel exhaust jungle gym out back, I would of stopped and put dump tube tips right at the end, about in line with the shocks.

A fire extinguisher is best to have in hand before you open the hood to put out a fire. Usually opening the hood will let it flare up and that is not the time to go reaching in towards the fire for it. I have see some good mount designs tucking the fire ext right under the dvrs side front seat edge or again under the dvrs side where the seat adj lever is.

Transfer case lever rubber boot should of went under the carpet and then a chrome trim ring goes on top.

A 79 seat belt end can have a hard plastic piece over it that holds it upright and 1/2 twisted and closer to the seat. Yes nit pick.

Rims... I think a black and chrome or even black and truck body color could work too.

Do you really tow with it, I see your brake controller? I did not watch the u tube video yet cause I have a hard enough time looking at the pics, cause the truck is so awesome!

Once again just on the other side of the fence observations. And I am not trying to test your skin thickness by no means. lol

Is the name of the truck and the badge in the engine compartment a dedication in some way? If it is, I totally understand and support that 100%.

No matter what I think or see, that truck is still to bad to the bone cool.

Attached Images   
Old 09-04-2014, 08:00 AM
Troys Toy
New User
Now that is what I am talking about! Thank you so much not only for your feedback, but for the time you spent analyzing the smallest of details. These are the points that will make my truck like no other and win shows. Few people would take the time you have or have the ***** to give me the gifts you just did. Our world has become too politically correct for this these days. So I thank you once more for your time, sincerity and observations. Several I already plan to implement. By the way the seat belt thing while not at all "knit picky", is more obvious for the one who drives it. I'm amazed you picked up on it. I cant stand looking for those damn things. The 1/2 twist plastic option is something we take for granted these days. In my book you are the man 77&79 F250!!

Old 09-04-2014, 09:38 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man that's on beautiful truck! Nice job.

Tony

Old 09-04-2014, 09:52 AM
Troys Toy
New User
Originally Posted by 1ATony
Man that's on beautiful truck! Nice job.

Tony
Thank you for saying so Tony!

Old 09-04-2014, 11:17 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Well thanks for not taking offense, dang that truck is sharp.

Ok so I went and watched the u tube video, awesome transformation. Like the Ford on the visors and door panels. Speaking of door panels, looks like you had the wood grain on the original truck. Were they just not salvageable?

I seen a aftermarket flat chrome piece on top the on the xfer case boot. IMO the boot under the carpet and a OEM repo'd chrome ring one would look better. But yes the OEM ring does not really secure to the carpet very well or hold the carpet down either.

Item # 7 part # 40-1190 is for the 4 spd, but for sure someone makes a repo for the xfer case. No luck finding one, except ebay.

Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

1978 79 Ford Bronco Transfer Case Shift Boot Chrome Dress Ring | eBay

1973 1979 Ford Truck or 1978 1979 Bronco Transfer Case Shifter Boot Trim Ring | eBay

What was or is mounted in the two u-nut spots behind the seat, just under the rear slider? They look like OEM fasteners....if nothing goes there I would put another "Troys Toy" badge there, all engraved in stainless, of course.

What gauge is in the far corner of the dvrs side dash? Well thanks for tolerating my yammering on about things.

Attached Images    
Old 09-30-2014, 01:53 PM
19-F250-78
Senior User
Awesome looking truck! I love the color.

Things I would have done differently would have been to get rid of the rear blocks and put lift springs, I wouldn't have used those wheels but I'm a stickler for stock or stock like wheels and I would have gone no bigger than a 16" wheel (I'd stay 16.5 but tires are to expensive). The thing that drew my attention most from the side shot was the top of the cab, it looks small or disproportionate to me, maybe it's the bigger tires or something but I think I'd have added cab lights or something, to me that would have made it look a little more proportional.

Interior I would have used the stock location for the cargo lamp and left the ash tray there but that's me.

Overall I'm very impressed. Grey and silver are my all time favorite colors for trucks. I'd drive your truck every day if I could! Did you fuel inject the 460?

What's the story about the plaque in the engine bay?