6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

I need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 12:00 AM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I need help

Wanted to say hello and thank you for everyone's help up to this point, I've been lurking for about the last six months. I've used this site for research on buying an Excursion, my family finally purchased one about 1.5 months ago. It's a 2005 diesel, Eddie Bauer edition with 72,000 miles. We've been really happy with it up until now. The previous owner was a car collector with no kids and the shape of the vehicle shows such. Now to the reason I finally signed up to post rather than just read, IT WON'T START, we parked it the other day and two hours later went to bring the boys to soccer and it just turns over and doesn't start. I've researched as much of the past threads I can find and can't find some answers to some questions I have, can some one point me in the right direction, please?
Here is a list of my findings at this point:
-reset the inertia cut out switch ( felt like it was tripped, not positive as I've never seen one before)
- IPR reads 14% and goes to 85% when cranking
- RPM's are at 147 when cranking
-FICM reads 47.5 throughout cranking process
-ICP reads up to 350 max when cranking ( I know this isn't good)
- unplugged ICP and still no start
- was jumping with my DuraMax for cranking, so I don't think batteries are a problem.
-pulled the upper fuel filter and emptied cup, with key on it fills back up
- no previous hard start/no start issues
- delta T was running about 5 degrees on a 30-45 minute freeway drive

Now to what I know has been done recently (before I purchased, but have receipts from mechanic, VIN matches paperwork)

3/14/2013
- new FICM
- oil change
5/30/2013
-EGR service kit (off road only)
-intake gaskets
-turbo up pipe
-high pressure oil rail plug
-HPO stand pipe
-HPO rail cap screw
-SCT X3 flash tuner
-oil cooler kit with updated stainless screen
-HPO pump branch tube connector
-inter cooler boot, upper and lower cold side
- inter cooler pipe, inter cooler to intake
-custom wrapped wye pipe
-fuel pressure regulator, blue spring update
-coolant bypass filtration system
-CAT EC1 severe duty coolant (rated 8 years, 750,000 miles)

6/3/2013

F350 transmission lever

10/3/2013

-HPOP Adreneline pump, high volume high output
-flush and Change oil

All in all I have receipts for about $8,000 in work for the past year and a half. I'm lost, I'm a plumber not a diesel mechanic. Sorry for the long post, just frustrated and I've seen some guys get torn up for posting to little information.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:25 AM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Cranking RPMs are a little low, but that could just be from all the attempts to start. The low ICP pressure looks like the problem, and you're suspecting that is the issue. HPO system tests get pretty involved? Are you looking to fix this yourself, or just trying to gauge whether you should? Here's a great 6.0l no start checklist which has good references to HPO diagnostic procedures.

You described your last attempt to start as 2 hours after shutting it down. Have you tried to start is since/when its cold?

Old 08-29-2014, 12:41 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Moved over to the 6.0L PSD forum to help you get your rig running again.

Stewart

Old 08-29-2014, 12:46 AM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
This is a three day old problem at this point, so I have tried warm start, cold start, and completely f'ing pissed off start; none of them work. I'm trying to gauge whether or not I should attempt trying to get into the HPOP system, my concern is the paperwork I have shows pretty much everything has been changed. Is it possible that parking on a steep incline could contribute to this? I have a fairly steep drive way, this weekend I plan on coasting into road and running some more tests.

As far as the RPM's go I've read anything over 100 is good and anything under 500 is bad (that seems ridiculously high to me).

Old 08-29-2014, 01:11 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
You need to do an air test. Look int the Tech Folder for the on the tools to
do this. You will need access to a compressor, a fitting so you can put air
into the ICP port and a harness end for the IPR or a IPR power box OTC-6764.
It does take a bit of time to blow all oil out of the system so take your time.
You will be looking for air coming from the valve covers or the HPOP area.
If you remove the crankcase breathe under the intake and the oil fill tube you
can listen for air. If you have a mechanics stethoscope that can help you find
where the air is leaking from.

In your service list I see a new pump so most likely the STC fitting was changed
at the time but you never know.

This is the IPR controller I was talking about. Look around and you can find good prices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-6-0L-Diesel-IPR-Controller-/151380288701?hash=item233ef7e4bd&item=151380288701&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

Sean

Old 08-29-2014, 06:46 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BigGreenEx
This is a three day old problem at this point, so I have tried warm start, cold start, and completely f'ing pissed off start; none of them work. I'm trying to gauge whether or not I should attempt trying to get into the HPOP system, my concern is the paperwork I have shows pretty much everything has been changed. Is it possible that parking on a steep incline could contribute to this? I have a fairly steep drive way, this weekend I plan on coasting into road and running some more tests.

As far as the RPM's go I've read anything over 100 is good and anything under 500 is bad (that seems ridiculously high to me).
Are you building LPO while cranking ( gauge on the instrument cluster )? And are you using an OEM oil filter and OEM oil filter cap?

Old 08-29-2014, 07:29 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
The adrenaline pump is a replacement for the early model swashplate style HPOP, is this an early '05 truck with an '04 engine? If so, troubleshooting may be a little different. I agree verifying the low pressure system would be a good next step.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:32 AM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
The adrenaline pump is a replacement for the early model swashplate style HPOP, is this an early '05 truck with an '04 engine? If so, troubleshooting may be a little different. I agree verifying the low pressure system would be a good next step.
I believe it is a later 05, because when I disconnected the ICP it was towards the front of the passenger side valve cover.

My LOP gauge does go up when cranking.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:36 AM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
Originally Posted by mustang_309
Are you building LPO while cranking ( gauge on the instrument cluster )? And are you using an OEM oil filter and OEM oil filter cap? Motorcraft Power Stroke Diesel Filter Comparison 2.0 - YouTube
Not sure on the oil and fuel filters, I have only had this thing for a little over a month and haven't changed anything yet.

Thanks for everyone's help, I want to make sure I've hit everything possible before I start taking stuff off the engine, I work a ton and I need to get this going as its my wife's DD.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:25 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Late '04 the ICP was relocated but kept a swashplate pump. Different part number but same design as before.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:45 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Rusty,
I did not know that about the pumps.
At what point did they update the pump also?

Also have you gotten the DVDs to work yet?

Sean

Old 08-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
I'm kinda goofin off at work right now . Haven't had much time for the computer. Hopefully this weekend.

The later '04's got the new part number but same style pump, wavy oil rails, relocated ICP, and different glow plugs. The '05s got the v4 cast iron pump, the dreaded STC branch tube connector, and a new part number ICP.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:29 AM
klbrown
Tuned
Originally Posted by BigGreenEx

-oil cooler kit with updated stainless screen

All in all I have receipts for about $8,000 in work for the past year and a half. I'm lost, I'm a plumber not a diesel mechanic. Sorry for the long post, just frustrated and I've seen some guys get torn up for posting to little information.
First thing that came to mind is was it an OEM oil cooler/kit? Thinking of all the problems others have had with Dorman. I guess pulling IPR to look for signs of green gasket material might answer that question.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:17 PM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
I will check part numbers, if they are listed on the invoice. How often do new stand pipes (?) and plugs start leaking when only a year old?

Old 08-29-2014, 01:11 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Not often. I would still check out the low pressure system next. The adrenaline pump has a good track record but if LPO system is ok and the air test is quiet I'd look harder at the pump.

Quick Reply: I need help