6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

ScanGaugeE

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 09:02 PM
rusbukt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ScanGaugeE

I can pick up a ScanGauge E OBD ll On ebay for 95.00 with free ship.

Says it is compatible with 6.0.

Buy it?

Old 08-27-2014, 09:12 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
any warranty? if so, thats a pretty good deal.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:17 PM
rusbukt
Elder User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
any warranty? if so, thats a pretty good deal.
They are factory new with a three year.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:22 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
I think it has some limitations....that scanguage E can only view 2 gauges at a time, and I'm not sure if you can add all the gauges needed for the 6.0. I think the Scangauge II would be better for you.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:25 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oops, post deleted. I thought it was a scangauge II

Old 08-27-2014, 09:27 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Old 08-27-2014, 09:29 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
I've looked at that before, and the E version isn't really what you'd want to get. It doesn't have the user programmable X gauge feature, and then included gauge set isn't as comprehensive as the ScanGaugeII. Also it looks like it only displays two sets of data at a time, instead of the four of the SGII.

It's really worth a few extra bucks for all the extra features of the SGII. You can compare them all here.

Last edited by william_04_x; 08-27-2014 at 09:34 PM. Reason: I type slower than everyone
Old 08-27-2014, 09:47 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
It's really worth the few extra bucks for DashBoss or Torque App. Or An Edge Insight. Or AE. ScanGauge II sucks at being a scanner, which is half the reason to buy one.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:41 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Frankly, I agree, Bryan. But for those who don't have the means to afford the better product, it's better to have something to view what's going on in the 6.0 than to not have a clue.

I am really happy with my Dashboss. I even had to spring for an IPOD, as I don't have an Iphone. Works great for me, having a gauge view as well as a music library. It would be better if I had the Iphone instead so I could lump my phone into the same package, but the IPOD was all that was within my budget.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:48 PM
rusbukt
Elder User
Originally Posted by Money-Pit
I think it has some limitations....that scanguage E can only view 2 gauges at a time, and I'm not sure if you can add all the gauges needed for the 6.0. I think the Scangauge II would be better for you.
Almost identical other than the 2 gauge display. And the fact that the E does not have a boost gauge like the II. Which I'm assuming is a critical gauge to have.?

Thanks for the heads up Money.

Ebay price for the Scan II is 160.00 with free ship.
I'll keep shopping around.

Thanks to all.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:02 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
Frankly, I agree, Bryan. But for those who don't have the means to afford the better product, it's better to have something to view what's going on in the 6.0 than to not have a clue
I'll agree it's better than absolutely nothing, and if it's all that can be had than it's very much worth having. But for what a tank of diesel costs you can upgrade to something significantly better, so I can't in good faith recommend the SGII over the other options simply because pretty much everything else is head and shoulders above. The $400 my family pitched in together with to get my retired dad an Insight was worth every penny; he actually uses it and even better understands it, and that means it'll actually be useful in catching something. My SGII is buried in a toolbag somewhere, I wish I could find it just so I could to mail it off to someone who needs it. It was finicky, a PITA to program, and even when it was used full-time in my car still wasn't really all that great.

DashBoss FTW Many thanks to Josh (Bullitt390) and Lilpooh for repping it on the boards. $40 more than an SGII if you have an iProduct. My DashBoss rides in my Focus daily, it's always great.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ord-6-0-a.html

Old 08-27-2014, 11:16 PM
rusbukt
Elder User
I understand the importance of the gauges. And I will be purchasing.
What put the bug in my head to get a set was an earlier thread I started about my engine light coming on after towing my horse trailer. Light would reset after a few start cycles.
Last weekend I installed the blue spring and just now my spouse pulled up with horse trailer in tow and the engine light was not on. ??
It ALWAYS came on before. ( for the last 6 months or so)
Could the spring have solved the problem?
I'm still an old school gas engine fool. So this diesel stuff is all new to me.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:27 PM
Number21
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
It's really worth the few extra bucks for DashBoss or Torque App. Or An Edge Insight. Or AE. ScanGauge II sucks at being a scanner, which is half the reason to buy one.
I agree, I've been relatively disappointed with my Scangauge II, after it seemed like everybody on the internet recommended it. 4 displays isn't really enough when you need to monitor 472 different things...and it's really bad at reading codes.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:28 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
While you're waiting for your scangauge (or whatever kind of reader), you can head on over to your local Autozone and get a free code read. They might be able to pull up a soft code for you to post here on FTE. Once you get a code to work with, I'd start a new thread with the information. It's probably still hiding in there waiting for you to pull it. There're lots of knowledgeable folks here with good advice.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:16 AM
esmefuzh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the Scangauge II would be better for you.

Quick Reply: ScanGaugeE