1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dang tranny did it again-help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:00 PM
captpfd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang tranny did it again-help!

I posted a few weeks ago about my 2000 7.3 (actually Dec.99) tranny slipped. Took it to the tranny shop locally to a guy who was referred to me and he couldn't get it to slip for two days. It slipped again today after I had hooked up to my RV toyhauler to take it to the shop. BTW, it slipped the first time when I was hooked up to the RV. Not trying to sound totally dumb here but I can only assume when hooked up to the trailer it makes the tranny work harder and that's when I experience the slipping. Been driving the truck for two weeks no slip till today after hooking up to the trailer. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:44 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
time for a rebuild before you burn it up.

Good news is if you are nice to it you can drive it there without a tow.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:02 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Before rebuilding it, explain what happened when it slipped. What speed were you at? Do you know what gear it was in? What did you see/feel/hear to make you think it was slipping?

Old 08-28-2014, 12:51 PM
captpfd
New User
I was backing the truck and heavy toyhauler rv into the driveway at the house. It happened both times when I was going from reverse to Drive on the selector. Tried dropping into second and then first gear but nothing. Then it grabbed some in first but would not pull the rv forward. Turned the truck off checked the fluid level again it is is good, also unhooked the trailer in the driveway. Let truck sit for an hour started it back up, got the truck to move forward in first gear only. Got it into the street went to second then drive. Did that about six times over about five miles last night. This morning truck works fine again in Drive. Must have plates sticking inside or something. Just don't want to get stranded this weekend coming up pulling the trailer if you know what I mean.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:12 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by captpfd
I was backing the truck and heavy toyhauler rv into the driveway at the house. It happened both times when I was going from reverse to Drive on the selector. Tried dropping into second and then first gear but nothing. Then it grabbed some in first but would not pull the rv forward. Turned the truck off checked the fluid level again it is is good, also unhooked the trailer in the driveway.
how did you check the transmission fluid level with the truck off?

needs to be idling in park to check fluid level, anything else will give an incorrect reading.

Let truck sit for an hour started it back up, got the truck to move forward in first gear only.
Not clear what you mean. transmission starts in first when selector is in "D". Would the transmission only only grab with the gear selector in "1"??

no engagement with selector in "D" or "2"?

Got it into the street went to second then drive. Did that about six times over about five miles last night.
The transmission started shifting when you pulled it into the street? and continued to do so over the next few miles?

or did you move the selector to "2" and "D" when you got into the street? and if so, why did you continue to do so for the next few miles?

This morning truck works fine again in Drive. Must have plates sticking inside or something. Just don't want to get stranded this weekend coming up pulling the trailer if you know what I mean.
just me ... and not trying to sound like a jerk, but if that were my truck i don't think i'd be planning on an RV adventure until you get it straightened out. leastwise, i would have a "plan B" before i go ... for me, a good "plan b" would be a buddy with a truck and a car trailer that can come get me and my RV home.

a buddy with a car trailer and 2 trucks to get everything home in one shot would be the best plan .....

you really want to take your family in a truck that knowingly might not get them where they are going??? not me ... but that's just me ... no judgement .. just an opinion ...

Old 08-28-2014, 02:17 PM
captpfd
New User
Sound advice. I hope father-in-law can let me borrow his truck for the weekend or it looks like our plans may change and truck goes into the shop tomorrow.