Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > General Diesel Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

General Diesel Discussion SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2014, 01:37 PM
New User

Robb Kiker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Swapping 7.3 diesel to a 1954 F500 crew cab

I am considering swapping the axles, engine, trans, electrics, accessories from a 1999 F250 dually to the 1954 F500 crew cab pictured below.

Any experience, opinions, advice would be appreciated.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:40 PM
Post Fiend

2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation
That's gonna be a sweet looking ride.

Instead of swapping everything over, wouldn't it be easier just to swap that cab on the newer chassis and powertrain?
Old 08-26-2014, 10:19 PM
New User

I was initially inclined to the cab swap but many members dissuaded it.
They felt it was easier to move everything to the old frame.

I am looking for such opinions, discussion and experience.

Both options still open.
Do you have experience in either?
Old 08-26-2014, 10:31 PM
Post Fiend

2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation
Sorry, not so much experience. Looking at 1970 f250 crew myself, if the price comes down I want to put that body on a newer, rolled f250. I've read quite a few threads on swapping the cab over, figured that would be easier.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:37 PM
New User

Brett:
I agree.

Seems that many people just start cutting and wrenching on the cab swap intending to make it all work out in the end.

I understand it will take a good deal of time to measure and plan (pedal and steering placement, etc.) but a lot of planning can be done in place of the time required to, for instance, completely disassemble, modify and reinstall a brake system.

Going to start the prep and planning on a cab swap and see where it leads before turning any wrenches.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:39 PM
New User

Do you have the rolled F250 or the crew cab already?
Old 08-26-2014, 10:51 PM
Post Fiend

I don't have either yet, lol. The 1970 f250 I'm looking at, the guy wants 2800, yikes and that's with out the front clip. I helped my dad completely rebuild his f150 custom a few years back, only thing we didn't touch was the transmission I think, lol. Would love to build my own truck with that body style now.

Was thinking electronics wise, just swapping the cab over would save a ton of time as well
Old 08-26-2014, 11:11 PM
Post Fiend

But I should have kept my mouth shut with offering you advice for your project, lol

Good luck, hope you post your progress on here, that's gonna be a awesome looking truck.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:14 PM
Freshman User

jrods2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If I can get my 97 7.3 running I'll be putting it in a 49 3/4 ton chev panel. Look into "SPEEDWAY" hotrod parts, they sell a mustang front cross member for just about anything out there. If they have one for a 49 chev I'm sure they have one for you, then you can buy used must/cobra parts to do the rest, but take care about the amount of weight your putting on the chassis. DO IT. divers street rods put a dual turbo Detroit Allison in 1 of 7 54 stainless topped cadilacs. just look up 'DIVERS STREET RODS'
Old 08-31-2014, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
An F600 chassis should be able to handle the weight better than an F100 or 250 of the era, it'll probably handle it better than my F250 does now. A cab swap may or not be easier, those older trucks used a different mount setup with a narrow frame so it'll take a fair bit of custom work and probably new crossmembers on the cab floor to make it work. Also the step inside the doors may make the floor too narrow to fit over a modern frame, requiring either more mods or perch it a bit higher to clear the frame.
I would seriously consider modern axles with a ratio to get you in the 2200-2500 range at 60, that truck probably has 4.56 or 5.13 gears now that will hit the 7.3's governor at about 55-60.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:59 AM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
but with the larger tires the F5 came with the gears in it should be equal to a newer axle with small tires Jared.

rarely in life do you meet a person that will drop everything to help a stranger,
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:23 AM
New User

Hi Fellas:
Thanks for the great input.

As to the rear axle, if I do a cab swap, the truck will have the "new" axle, ratio, etc.

As Jared stated, the frame is wider on the new trucks; especially where the door joins the frame. I am thinking through this issue before wrenching anything. Want it to look right or not at all.

Fortunately, I do not have to worry about the length between the axles as there is no original bed to swap over. It will be a flat bed with fifth wheel and gooseneck hardware for pulling horse and camper trailers.

A drivetrain swap may be easier but I would like to retain the convenience of the heat, A/C, etc. Swapping those systems gives me more pause than the drivetrain.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:23 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > General Diesel Discussion