6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Gasoline in my Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 02:09 PM
slowlanemcvane
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gasoline in my Diesel

So I went TDY with the Army last week and into the weekend. My wife calls me the day I left and told me that she needed to take the Excursion because she needed to have 8 seats available for a get together with a couple of her friends, and afterwards she would go to the store and put "gas in the tank" for me.

I said "DIESEL. Not gas. Diesel is different than gas. Make sure you read the pump and make sure you use the one marked DIESEL." She said "yeah, yeah, I'm not stupid, you know." To which I said "I believe you, have fun with my truck."

About four hours later, she calls me, freaking out. "The truck is smoking and clattering really bad!" So I tried to get some information out of her, as to when and where it happened, and she tells me that she stopped for "gas" and that as she drove off the truck started to "act funny" and that there was "smoke coming out of the tailpipe" and that she was "stranded on the side of the road." So I immediately start to freak out a bit myself, because she kept calling it "gas".

Turns out she threw $80 worth of unleaded gasoline in the tank of my truck, then drove it about 5 miles before she pulled over. The truck had to be towed to my house, and it sat there for almost a week until I got home.

I drained the tank as much as I could, put ten gallons of diesel in it, started it up to try to get the gas out of the lines and pumps and injectors, I changed my fuel filters, then started it again, then ran it to the local station and completely filled it with diesel. The truck still runs a little rough, especially right after I start it, and it seems down on power a bit, but there is no more smoke coming out of the exhaust and the idle has smoothed out to pretty much normal. At this point, I'm fairly sure that everything is fine and any weird sounds or hesitations are purely imaginary on my part.

Is there anything else that I should do after an event like this? Other than not let the wife fuel my truck anymore?

Old 08-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
If I remember correctly my Ex had a 44gal tank,1 ounce of 2 stroke to the gal will help smooth things out and add diesel kleen to the mix. It will cushion the injectors and help with the dilution of what ever gas is left in there. Be glad it choked itself out as I think you will be ok,my wife totaled my Ex, not once, but twice. It was Ford tough, but not Linda tough............and that's how I wound up with the Mustang GT convert and a crew cab long bed.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:17 PM
Runs-wifey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It could take months for any real damage to show its face... Just be ready when it does... But that can cause major engine damage...

But I really hope that everything will be OK !!!

As for what you might be able to do.... The injectors.... all 8 of them, because worst case is one of the tips cracks and blows a whole in a piston or starts dumping fuel into your oil and your truck runs away ...

My husband ( run6.0run) / ( Super Duty Service) has a post on a customers truck that we fixed...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...aded-fuel.html

Old 08-20-2014, 04:31 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Lets get an answer to the big question, did she pump the gas in or did the gas monkey do it?

Old 08-20-2014, 04:33 PM
slowlanemcvane
Senior User
Well, the good news is that the wifey only ran it maybe 2-3 miles with straight unleaded in the fuel lines. When I drained the tank, I drained the fuel lines as well as I could and cleaned out the filter bowl on the upper fuel filter, then refilled it with a bit of diesel before installing the filter. Like you said, I hope everything is okay, but for now, and with my budget sitting where it is, I pretty much have to pray to the 8 pound 6 ounce baby Jesus that it doesn't cost me anything more than what it already has.

And per4mance, she did the pumping, she bought the gas at Safeway here in Washington. I don't think there's a full-service gas station anywhere in this state. Had it happened in Oregon, I would have blamed the gas monkey.

Last edited by slowlanemcvane; 08-20-2014 at 04:35 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-20-2014, 04:53 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Yikes.....hopefully all is good. I've heard some nasty stories about diesels running on gas....hope you're not one of them.

time for a locking fuel cap....

Old 08-20-2014, 05:04 PM
slowlanemcvane
Senior User
Locking fuel cap BWAHAHAHAHA!

It only works if I don't give the wife the key!

Old 08-20-2014, 05:07 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Right! Only YOU have the key!

Old 08-20-2014, 05:18 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Just sell her shoes and a couple of rings and get some new injectors.lol

Old 08-20-2014, 05:43 PM
slowlanemcvane
Senior User
LOL hopefully it doesn't come down to that.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by slowlanemcvane
So I went TDY with the Army last week and into the weekend. My wife calls me the day I left and told me that she needed to take the Excursion because she needed to have 8 seats available for a get together with a couple of her friends, and afterwards she would go to the store and put "gas in the tank" for me.

I said "DIESEL. Not gas. Diesel is different than gas. Make sure you read the pump and make sure you use the one marked DIESEL." She said "yeah, yeah, I'm not stupid, you know." To which I said "I believe you, have fun with my truck."

About four hours later, she calls me, freaking out. "The truck is smoking and clattering really bad!" So I tried to get some information out of her, as to when and where it happened, and she tells me that she stopped for "gas" and that as she drove off the truck started to "act funny" and that there was "smoke coming out of the tailpipe" and that she was "stranded on the side of the road." So I immediately start to freak out a bit myself, because she kept calling it "gas".

Turns out she threw $80 worth of unleaded gasoline in the tank of my truck, then drove it about 5 miles before she pulled over. The truck had to be towed to my house, and it sat there for almost a week until I got home.

I drained the tank as much as I could, put ten gallons of diesel in it, started it up to try to get the gas out of the lines and pumps and injectors, I changed my fuel filters, then started it again, then ran it to the local station and completely filled it with diesel. The truck still runs a little rough, especially right after I start it, and it seems down on power a bit, but there is no more smoke coming out of the exhaust and the idle has smoothed out to pretty much normal. At this point, I'm fairly sure that everything is fine and any weird sounds or hesitations are purely imaginary on my part.

Is there anything else that I should do after an event like this? Other than not let the wife fuel my truck anymore?
You in my neck of the woods. I'll PM you my phone number and we can have a look see
with the VCM2 and IDS to see what the injectors are doing. If there is a problem you
want to be on top of it like Runs-wifey (Julie) said. Things can go down hill fast if an injector cracks
a tip.

Sean

Old 08-20-2014, 07:55 PM
doghouserez
New User
"yeah, yeah, I'm not stupid, you know." You have a priceless "wild-card" in your hand. However, you most likely will only be able to use it once, successfully. You may regret trying to use it more than that. Good Luck.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:02 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
All I can say is"Ya gotta love em"

Old 08-20-2014, 08:11 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Per4mance
Lets get an answer to the big question, did she pump the gas in or did the gas monkey do it?
I would blame it on the chevy truck monkey trunk monkey - Bing Videos

Old 08-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
I look at it this way,if it got mellons or wheels your gonna have problems, somehow they get together and get really out of control,

Quick Reply: Gasoline in my Diesel