Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

link to 6.0L transmission cooler upgrade for 7.3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 06:45 AM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
link to 6.0L transmission cooler upgrade for 7.3?

My X is overheating on long tows with my 33ft 7,500 lb TT. I'm reaching 216, average 212 going about 65 MPH with overdrive off. I'm trying to keep temps below 210. Please direct me to a link where I can find either a kit or buy the cooler and what other parts I need to complete the swap.

Thanks!

Old 08-19-2014, 06:49 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Old 08-19-2014, 07:43 AM
WE3ZS
Received 858 Likes on 595 Posts
Why are you in drive and not OD, the trans is designed to tow in OD and it will build less heat there too. Of course if it is hunting in/out of OD due to hills then turning off OD is OK. I am currently pulling our 11k TT through New England, lots of short but steep mountains, I've just been leaving it in OD and letting it drop down as needed on it's own, then it pops back into OD at the top by itself. I use the OD button more going down the hills than anything else. The highest trans temp I've seen yet using a stand alone gauge reading from the test port is 204F, that was last week pulling a mile or so up an 8% grade from a stop in 80F weather, typical temps are in the 160-180F range. I know my V-10 cooler is slightly larger than the 7.3 one and I think some of the earlier ones didn't have the rad cooler also so I can understand you seeing higher temps in similar conditions.
I too plan to swap in a 6.0 cooler when I do my upcoming trans flush ( just hit 100k miles), I think of it as insurance for hotter days and bigger mountains in our future.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:35 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Do it guys! I saw 181 pulling the boat up to the lake yesterday ( I think it's an 8% grade on that hill, might be ten ) with the AC on and outside temp near ninety. Usually runs about 80 degrees over outside temp. I think the warmest I've seen since having the cooler put in was 187.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:24 AM
exbxtoy
Tuned
I was towing with overdrive off for a couple reasons. For one, it keeps my EGT's around 800 or so, in OD I easily reach 1100 very quickly. I agree, I would like not to tow in with OD off.

It looks like the Dorman link is not the 6.0l cooler, is Rockauto the best place to buy one? Any tech write ups anyone has would be helpful as well. I have searched, just being lazy to see if anyone has done this recently, and where they have found the best prices.

Thanks again guys!

Old 08-19-2014, 10:28 AM
davesexpedition
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bigger cooler made a big difference in my old F350, but slowly and surely even the big cooler lost effectiveness and the tranny eventually let go. A new built transmission solved that problem, no more hot tranny.

I got one off ebay, but I saw a parts geek link a little while ago that had reasonably priced 6leaker coolers, unfortunately I dont have it.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:28 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts
The '02+ V10 trans cooler is indeed bigger than the 7.3 trans cooler for all years. I had one on my 7.3 before an accident in 2009, thereafter, I had a 6.0 trans cooler installed.

Mark Kovalsky will confirm, but starting with the E4OD it is accepted and encouraged to tow in OD; you just have to let the transmission do what it was designed to do. It will hunt for gears on occasion, but just make sure you let the engine rev and the truck will do the rest.

A 6.0 trans cooler will help keep things cooler as I've hauled a good 11K load behind my '01 and it kept temps in check at a reasonable level.

The only way I could see your EGTs climbing like they are is because:

-You're running some sort of chip or program that you either know or don't know about.

-You have some serious boost leaks in the form of leaking intercooler clamps that need to be tightened or blown or leaking up pipes.

-You don't have a 4 inch exhaust to let your truck exhale like it should.

With the truck overheating, your cooling system may need some attention. I.e. Radiator needs to be flushed, trans may need to flushed, radiator and/or trans cooler may physically be clogged with dirt.

Just a few things to think about.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:33 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Not flaming here but dont buy the Dorman or off brand coolers. They are junk. I sent 2 of them back and found an OEM new one on eBay. You may pay an extra few clams but trust me, its worth it. OEM is tested and works, after market is inexpensive for a reason.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:41 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by exbxtoy
My X is overheating on long tows with my 33ft 7,500 lb TT. I'm reaching 216, average 212 going about 65 MPH with overdrive off. I'm trying to keep temps below 210. Please direct me to a link where I can find either a kit or buy the cooler and what other parts I need to complete the swap.

Thanks!
Use an OEM part. Price hurts but you can trust it. I found one for 300 on the bay. I did the removal/install from the bottom. Remove grille and lower crash bar. Hardest part is dealing with the air deflectors while trying to access bolts. Old one out is a pain because of the hoses. New in is easy. You need to get the rubber hose specifically for trans fluid, DO NOT USE FUEL LINE! Route your lines safely and you should be good. Help is nice when reinstalling the crash bar but I held the other end up with my foot and did ok. Hope this helps.

This helped: Cool Running: Ford 7.3L Trans Cooler Upgrade ? Ford Diesel Truck

Edit: I reduced my temps by about 40* all around and I can actually see it cooling down when the load lightens. Worth it.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:06 PM
locknload223
Posting Guru
One of the best mods I've done. The 6.0 cooler dropped my temps 40 degrees! It was great towing my 8500lb 31' camper and not breaking 140 degrees. Well worth it and yes, buy the factory Ford part. The hardest part was finding the reducer fittings, ended up ordering them from Graingers. Here are the Fittings I used.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:03 PM
Vwags
Elder User
I just did this and noticed a huge improvement. I watched my temp driving into work with the stock 6.8l cooler, replaced it with the 6.0l cooler and checked temps driving into work again and saw about 50* drop. When we tow we are sitting about 16k GCVW and have towed through the AZ and CA desert in 100* heat and only saw the temps touch 200 with a high of 206*. I am very happy with the cooler. I did go with the Dorman because I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra coin on an OEM. I guess time will tell if I made a mistake, it won't be my first.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:13 PM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Vwags
I just did this and noticed a huge improvement. I watched my temp driving into work with the stock 6.8l cooler, replaced it with the 6.0l cooler and checked temps driving into work again and saw about 50* drop. When we tow we are sitting about 16k GCVW and have towed through the AZ and CA desert in 100* heat and only saw the temps touch 200 with a high of 206*. I am very happy with the cooler. I did go with the Dorman because I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra coin on an OEM. I guess time will tell if I made a mistake, it won't be my first.
You'll have better luck with the Dorman, no salt.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Footy
Junior User
I have the 6.0L trans cooler on my 01. I am still over heating when heavy, uphill towing is under way. I am guessing that my computer has been reprogramed at some point and more fuel is being injected than the radiator is designed to cool. I know my trans cooler is clean. I have tried cleaning the radiator and intercooler with a garden hose. I am considering a hood scoop or some sort of vents in the hood. When it over heats I turn on the heater and open the hood and the engine temps drop in just a few minutes so I believe that the engine needs more cooling or I need to slow down a bit on hills.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:51 PM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
The '02+ V10 trans cooler is indeed bigger than the 7.3 trans cooler for all years. I had one on my 7.3 before an accident in 2009, thereafter, I had a 6.0 trans cooler installed.

Mark Kovalsky will confirm, but starting with the E4OD it is accepted and encouraged to tow in OD; you just have to let the transmission do what it was designed to do. It will hunt for gears on occasion, but just make sure you let the engine rev and the truck will do the rest.

A 6.0 trans cooler will help keep things cooler as I've hauled a good 11K load behind my '01 and it kept temps in check at a reasonable level.

The only way I could see your EGTs climbing like they are is because:

-You're running some sort of chip or program that you either know or don't know about.

I should have mentioned I am running the loved by all, Bully Dog GT Tuner, and was running it in Tow mode. I am planning on buying something different. I would like to get something similar that has everything in one place (gauges showing temps, pressures, etc.. Is the Edge Evolution any good? I know from what I have read everyone says to go with DP.

-You have some serious boost leaks in the form of leaking intercooler clamps that need to be tightened or blown or leaking up pipes.

I sure hope not. I just had International Harvester belowed up pipes installed and all new intercooler clamps/ boots replaced.

-You don't have a 4 inch exhaust to let your truck exhale like it should.

I am almost positive I have a 4" Magnaflow exhaust system. PO installed it. Are you saying that b/c of the 4" exhaust, it is causing not enough back pressure to pull out the exhaust fast enough? My Pyro gauge is reading right before the turbo on the passenger side of it. Oh, and I am running a recently installed Garrett PowerMax GTP38R Turbocharger.

With the truck overheating, your cooling system may need some attention. I.e. Radiator needs to be flushed, trans may need to flushed, radiator and/or trans cooler may physically be clogged with dirt.

I will look into flushing the cooling system. I want to do that simultaneously to adding the 6.0l cooler.

Just a few things to think about.
Thanks for the suggestions!~!!!!!

Old 08-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Vwags
Elder User
Originally Posted by carbon coupe
You'll have better luck with the Dorman, no salt.
If I remember right you kept getting Dormans that were damaged in shipping (I think that was you). When I got mine one of the attatching brackets was bent but easily straightened. I was thinking "oh no here we go" but so far so good. And ya not much salt in So Cal.

Quick Reply: link to 6.0L transmission cooler upgrade for 7.3?