1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hot Shot Secret- A viability review for restoring functionality to high mileage 7.3 injectors

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:04 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Let me interject. I take neither side on this.

We have all felt the seat of the pants difference. And if it makes you feel better then by golly go ahead. But to substantiate the difference you need numbers and data.

For example, I installed an HPx from RiffRaff. At the time the only "data" I could fine was seat of the pants remarks. I bit the bullet, and I too felt the difference. Only I had an AE. You will now find a nice graph on the Riffraff product page.

We just want the data. Until then, literally every post of this 8 page thread is speculation, no offense Chris.

Sounds like we have some. VOA and UOA on the way?

Old 08-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Let me interject. I take neither side on this.

We have all felt the seat of the pants difference. And if it makes you feel better then by golly go ahead. But to substantiate the difference you need numbers and data.

For example, I installed an HPx from RiffRaff. At the time the only "data" I could fine was seat of the pants remarks. I bit the bullet, and I too felt the difference. Only I had an AE. You will now find a nice graph on the Riffraff product page.

We just want the data. Until then, literally every post of this 8 page thread is speculation, no offense Chris.

Sounds like we have some. VOA and UOA on the way?
What I see on the pyro's is, once again... not speculation.
I will see to analyse.
Pre-treatment uoa
Virgin oil + hss voa
Uoa with treatment. Your going to have to wait till oil change time for this one.

Steve,
You hit the nail precisely on the head. That is exactly where my head is at for this product.

Sorry... i dunno how to quote multiple posts on my tablet like you fancy cats with yer keyboards, mice... and whatnot...

Old 08-21-2014, 08:40 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Chris I've used it in my 97. I had the same issue as you and the same experience as you after running it. My injectors ran quieter and more responsive, my idle was smoother. After I put new injector in I still ran a half bottle ever oil change til the day it was totaled.

As far as running it in a new engine I'm doing it now. I have half a bottle in a built 8k dollar engine that on paper should make 600hp that's in my 96

Old 08-21-2014, 08:42 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Christof13T

Sorry... i dunno how to quote multiple posts on my tablet like you fancy cats with yer keyboards, mice... and whatnot...
The button to the right of the "quote" button on any post, tap that and the green plus sign turns red iirc. Tap again back to green. The posts you want to quote, just select them all and hit reply, they should all be in the message box on the page that opens. (Now that I've stated that openly, let me try it real quick so I can edit this before anyone sees it if I'm wrong. Wouldn't want that to happen in this thread, Gawd!)

Old 08-21-2014, 08:47 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I am correct once again. Still batting 1000. At least to issues my wife isn't aware of.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:50 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Some of you will have to get over the fact that some (or most) of us call it for what it is. Many people believed this guy and made him rich. And the people were convinced it was a cure and they'd fight to the death arguing how great it was. I guess if it made them feel better then it was money well spent to them.

My previous truck was a 2000 7.3 I have friends with 7.3s and they also would never consider using it.

I certainly have no bad feelings about anything said. I had my say and shared my experiences. No need to get bent out of shape trying so hard to convince anyone.

I don't really see what a UOA will accomplish though, as it relates to the magical better fuel mileage, and rebuilds the injectors without removing a valve cover, and 30 extra hp. All from one little bottle.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:20 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have a dime in this, but it seems people who use or have used it like it. Those who don't use it and have never tried it argue that it's no good. I'm not saying anything one way or another because I haven't used it or had the need, I only have 220k on my injectors. But if I ever have injector problems 100k from now I think it's worth a shot!

I have been on this forum a long time and seen many mods come and go, they don't all work for everyone but if you use it and like it great! If you haven't then it's hard to discount. :0)

Old 08-21-2014, 09:37 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
Acutally, Rich (Rich #2, I guess), the suspension issue was a serious problem with early moly additive use because of the quality and particle size of the moly being used. I know that Schaeffer's engine oils today use a soluble moly formulation which does not suffer from separation because it is not in a particulate form in the final oil formulation. Some companies today, though, still use particulate moly because it is cheaper, and that form of moly will separate, but I cannot name names. Please do NOT take that last comment as an accusation in any form against HSS because I honestly do not know anything about their moly formulation... they may or may not use soluble moly... I just do not know.
Pete - I wonder if HSS is similar to Schaeffer's 132 Moly EP Oil treatment?(Molybdenum, Zinc, Antimony). It was mentioned that Moly & zinc were increased on an UOA after using HSS. I bet someone on Bob is the Oil Guy might have posted a virgin OA of HSS or the MSDS.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/cmss_fil...Sheets/132.pdf

http://www.schaefferoil.com/cmss_fil...y/MSDS/132.pdf

Old 08-22-2014, 12:03 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by Christof13T

What I see on the pyro's is, once again... not speculation.
I will see to analyse.
Pre-treatment uoa
Virgin oil + hss voa
Uoa with treatment. Your going to have to wait till oil change time for this one.

Steve,
You hit the nail precisely on the head. That is exactly where my head is at for this product.

Oh its a VOA with oil? Hmm

Old 08-22-2014, 12:04 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by white Buffalo

Pete - I wonder if HSS is similar to Schaeffer's 132 Moly EP Oil treatment?(Molybdenum, Zinc, Antimony). It was mentioned that Moly & zinc were increased on an UOA after using HSS. I bet someone on Bob is the Oil Guy might have posted a virgin OA of HSS or the MSDS.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/cmss_fil...Sheets/132.pdf

http://www.schaefferoil.com/cmss_fil...y/MSDS/132.pdf
Yes.. Probably.. I'll search when I get home.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:33 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Righto, Stewart! That, and that alone, IS exactly how to take my post.
Good to know, because your intent was not clear to me.

I deleted the rest of your quote (ahhh, that's what it feels like to be a Mod)

Anyone can quote a post and highlight or delete a portion of, for better communication and clarity. It doesn't take a moderator. You lost me on that one.

...because the remaining portion of your quote was exactly NOT how to take my post.

To recap, my point was this: Earlier in this thread, I was suggesting that the name of the product might have not have been an optimal choice in marketing. However, in my last post, the one which you commented on, I was noting how effective the marketing method actually is (giving samples to active forum members and asking for comments). So in essence, whatever faux pas I perceived in the choice of product name, was balanced out by the choice of product promotion.
For the sake of clarity, I was not commenting on your earlier post, just the one I quoted because it seemed by your tone and choice of verbiage that you were viewing the marketing method in a negative light.

All the product "negativeness" that you and Christof13T have perceived about these two marketing observations in my posts have been of your own making.
Incorrect. The words you used in your post led me down that path, albeit a tad reluctantly, but your words none-the-less. I didn't leap to this conclusion and create something of my "own making."

The promotion method has made me twice aware of a product that I previously didn't know existed. Those are strait forward observations that can stand without a yoke of negativity unfairly fastened upon them by you or Christof13.
I disagree. If your whole post was composed like your second paragraph, then yeah, it could be described as simple observations. But you didn't, so there was no unfair "yoke of negativity" fastened upon your post by me.

Your whole post was a bit passive-aggressive.

Much like the next quote:

I hope that is ok with you both. I do strive to not post comments that would incur your wrath as a moderator.
Incur my wrath as a moderator? So you feel the need to make that comment because you see me model that behavior here at FTE regularly?

I'll keep following this thread, awaiting more scientifically derived data or demonstrable proof that this product will do all that it claims.
Again, for the sake of clarity, my post only addressed your sarcasm and negative reaction, knocking the company for the free sample give-away, not the request for data or posting of any opinion on the product.

The tone of your post was colored by your previous posts, and when you state something like....

Originally Posted by Y2KW57
...Funny how even without buying or trying the product, it still feels like threads like this sucker all those who participate into promoting the product in some tangential way...
...that's not me creating a yoke of negativity. That's me reading your words of negativity creating a yoke around the post.

I don't care if anyone likes or doesn't like the product. I could really give a rats tushie one way or the other. I just took exception to you calling out a company for giving away free samples. Nothing more, nothing less.

Please feel free to continue questioning the usefulness of this product. Like I stated, I don't have a dog in this fight, and questioning helps suss out a product and how true it may be.

Stewart

Old 08-22-2014, 06:53 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Sheesh.... I propose we declare this and "slide" back on-topic:

A few people slipped with the keyboards. Panties were bunched. We're all friends, friends have "off" days, and you're all worthy of letting it go and moving on.

My thinking: That document I found on Moly raised my right eyebrow up and around until it reached my wallet (right butt cheek). The document was from the Schaefer website. Since multiple people here acknowledge Schaefer has Moly, their website has so much good information on Moly, and people I know and trust to have solid lubricant and/or chemistry knowledge say that Moly document is valid - I'm sold on the correct form and formulation of Moly and I'm eyeballing Schaefer.

Many members here swear by Schaefer, but I have heard no testimonials (yet) that rise to the level that Chris has shared about HSS.

Why do I bring up Schaefer oil in a HSS thread? The results of Chris's test, the engine oil analysis revealing the Moly levels with HSS, plus all the other info presented if one sifts through the filler...

[playfully glaring around the room with a smile - even at our venerable mod]

...I am led to this thought: Many of us are not chemists. I don't think we are really qualified to mix fluids together and say "Ah... this is the right mix for our 7.3L oil". Schaefer (for one example - this is not a pitch for a single product) has the info I was looking for, others use it and like it, their trucks didn't up and die on the road from use of this oil, it has some of the ingredients that Chris added with HSS, and I'll take it on faith that the chemistry in the oil is "compatible with itself". Mixing products always run the risk of incompatibility.

Chris really deserves a lot of credit for what he has done here. We have all read the mantra "Though shalt not use oil additives on the 7.3L", and he is not stupid. He has clearly stated his injectors are toast, he has a grand plan for his engine (soon) and I know he'll follow through (remember when he pulled the engine before?). With this in mind, he defied the 7.3L first commandment and tried something - at risk to his wallet and the use of his truck until it's time for the engine pull. In a single phrase - "He took one for the team". I tried to rep, but I must spread them.

I get what you're doing, Chris - and while you were hopeful, I bet you were totally surprised by the results. Thank you for reporting this and introducing a new concept in dealing with our noisy injectors. I may have something to work with here, but I don't want to risk playing chemist on Stinky's new injectors. I will, however, entertain the thought of getting some Moly-rich oil (like Schaefer) - as much as I dislike the price. I can then report those results in this same thread, but I still have to burn through a few thousand miles before my next oil change.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:54 AM
clux
Post Fiend
I think that the amount of molybdenum in most compression rated oils has been decreased significantly in the last five or six years. I used to have UOA come back in the high 100's to over 200 ppm on moly, and now they run in the 50 ppm.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:03 AM
BoKnowsDiesel
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
Just a technical question here for you, Bo. I believe that you meant to say "friction" modifier, didn't you? Viscosity modifiers are polymers which react to temperature within the fluid which contains them to stabilize viscosity as the fluid heats up. Molybdenum is not that kind of animal. The use of moly is for friction modification only.
I will double check with Chris Gabrelcik on that one, because I am not positive on it myself. It may just be a component of the viscosity improver, but I know for fact we do have a viscosity modifier in the product.

Our recommended follow up treatment is a half dosage (1 quart) every 3rd oil change (about 15-20k miles). Though some of our customers run it every oil change at a half dose.

Thanks Christof13T for helping us out by testing the products. We really do appreciate it

Old 08-22-2014, 09:07 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by clux
I think that the amount of molybdenum in most compression rated oils has been decreased significantly in the last five or six years. I used to have UOA come back in the high 100's to over 200 ppm on moly, and now they run in the 50 ppm.
Yep, IIRC when the new CJ-4 specification came out 5 or 6 years ago the additive packages on many oils were affected. Pete (F_250) will probably remember more than I do, but I've got VOA on some Schaeffer's & Delo.

Edit: Off to Terre Haute & Scheid's Diesel Extravaganza ........... anyone gonna be there for the Diesel Fun?

http://www.scheiddiesel.com/scheid-d...ravaganza.html

Quick Reply: Hot Shot Secret- A viability review for restoring functionality to high mileage 7.3 injectors