1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hot Shot Secret- A viability review for restoring functionality to high mileage 7.3 injectors

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 09:19 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hot Shot Secret- A viability review for restoring functionality to high mileage 7.3 injectors

First and foremost:

I want to publicly thank BoKnowsDiesel for reaching out to the community. It takes some Cojones' for a company to send a "stranger" a product sample for private testing with the expectation of the results being shared publicly.

4 days ago, Motorbug got her regularly scheduled oil change.
What was irregular about this oil change was the substitution of 2 quarts of T6 for Hot Shot Secret heavy duty diesel oil additive.

Many of you are familiar with how Motorbug sounds at idle(normally) so i will just let the video speak for itself...

As if I didnt say it often enough, motorbug has 422k miles on the clock. 5 of the injectors are factory originals. They are at the very stressed edge of the threshold between functional and deceased. I cant think of a more extreme scenario in which to test the products Bo sent me.

There will be AE data to accompany what the video depicts, i will log some data this week.
I will also continue taking cold start video every day for at least another week.

Thus far I feel as though significant improvement has been achieved.
To me, in person... idle is smoother and there is less injector noise.
The injector "wake up" time has been drastically reduced. I feel them all "wake up" before i hit pavement pulling out of the driveway in the morning. On the road the improvement is more exaggerated. Throttle response is 100% better. SOTP Dyno says i picked up a good 30 ponies on a WOT run from a dead stop. I can still easily trip my ses with an overboost code at will... it just takes less pedal now lol.

My preliminary opinion for anyone with aging injectors is this;

Injectors are pretty dang expensive. With that in mind... every cycle you can squeeze out of your factory stockers is money saved. In my opinion... this product is worth a try for anyone at the verge of needing a fresh set.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:57 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Wow Chris, that passenger side (#7?) is about done... time to poke that with a fork. It does sound smoother, I'll give you that. Do you have a link to the product? I'd like to know how it fares when the Motorbug has been worked hard a while - with full EOT.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:07 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hot Shot's Secret has made the rounds 3 or 4 times on this forum.

It shows up, creates some interest, and then fades away, just like every other miracle in a bottle.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:23 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I heard a "Hot Shot Secret" radio commercial yesterday ....... I remember hearing a lot about this on the forums 4 or 5 years ago - mainly on PSN. Wasn't it like $50 a bottle? I for one would like to see a virgin oil analysis on the stuff.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:30 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Wasn't it like $50 a bottle?
I think it started out at $100 a bottle.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:02 AM
BoKnowsDiesel
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear it's working for you Chris! For those of you curious about our products, our website link is in my signature.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:08 AM
spongecop
Semper Fi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was under the impression this and other products like Archoil were to reduce stiction in the 6.o injectors. I thought the 7.3 did not suffer from stiction and therefore whats the benefit.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:34 AM
BoKnowsDiesel
Former Vendor
You will get stiction buildup in any HEUI style injector. The tolerances in the 6.0 injector were much tighter, so the stiction issue is much more prevalent. The 7.3's can still have stiction issues, but it is not as big of an issue due to the difference in design. We sent the bottle to Chris to show that it could still benefit a 7.3

Old 08-20-2014, 08:50 AM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Tugly
Wow Chris, that passenger side (#7?) is about done... time to poke that with a fork. It does sound smoother, I'll give you that. Do you have a link to the product? I'd like to know how it fares when the Motorbug has been worked hard a while - with full EOT.
I know Brother Rich, I know...
I intend to run these absolutely into the ground. Im putting a new set in Zombieheart so call it a test of fortitude out of morbid curiosity.

I will take some up to temp highway playtime video and post it. The video i took of this morning caught the sleepers coming to... as each morning goes by its occurring sooner and sooner after cold starting.

Is it an end all cure? By no means... but its absolutely helping a very tired system.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:56 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by spongecop
I was under the impression this and other products like Archoil were to reduce stiction in the 6.o injectors. I thought the 7.3 did not suffer from stiction and therefore whats the benefit.
There are too many questions that come into play. This might be one of those products that would do nothing for me, with very new injectors - but can help uber-high-mileage sticks like Chris has. It might also alter the cavitation properties of the oil - which would clean up some of the same symptoms as stiction, which I would be very interested in.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:02 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
For those of us who don't know how motorbug sounds at idle originally do you have a link to another thread with a vid?

For $60-100 a bottle I could run the best oil on the market and change it twice as often or invest in an oil bypass.

Interesting though. I'm also way shy of 400k miles.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:08 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Is this your new motor Chris? The one I've read about boring 30 over and new sleeve? Just wondering what this will do for seating the rings if it is?

Old 08-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
No this is the factory motor. Im picking Zombieheart up from the shop Friday.
Still looking at a couple months or so out before it will be finished and the swap happens.

Things i still need to purchase...

+.030 rebuild kit with pistons
Valves, guides/seals, springs, and pushrods
Jekters
Hpop (leaning toward one of Joey's t500 pumps)
360* thrust turbo rebuild kit and a gen 2 wheel.
And last but definitely not least...
Toons

Old 08-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Old cold start video...

Old video of knock after a hard run...

Old 08-20-2014, 02:16 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,341 Likes on 1,749 Posts
Here's an apparently little known secret...

Any product or publication that has the word "secret" in the title... has already put itself on alert.

Quick Reply: Hot Shot Secret- A viability review for restoring functionality to high mileage 7.3 injectors