1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

by-pass the ABS system.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 07:51 PM
jonesg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
by-pass the ABS system.

1990 E350 van.

Is it possible to by-pass the ABS system. ?
I'm replacing all the rusted out steel lines and really dislike ABS systems in general, I usually disable by unplugging a wheel sensor and fuse.
But is it possible to plumb the new lines around the ABS unit and just go from master cyl to the wheels ?

Is it legal?

Old 08-09-2014, 09:42 PM
EconolineFan
Senior User
Why would you want to do something like that?

Old 08-09-2014, 10:34 PM
Byooty
Junior User
Originally Posted by EconolineFan
Why would you want to do something like that?
X2.

Abs in my opinion is one of the greatest life savers the auto industry have come up with for a while.....

Old 08-09-2014, 10:41 PM
jonesg
Senior User
Its alright for girly men and housewives who need it. I don't.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:50 PM
Byooty
Junior User
Id rather be called a girly man than dead.
Or worse still, killing someone else due to stupidity.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:54 AM
richter roxs
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
abs removal

i have a 1996 e150 that had 4 wheel abs and i took it out and plumbed the brake lines pre abs style. Why did i do this ? the stock abs of this year was not great and the repair bill to restore marginal effectiveness was not worth it.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:23 AM
EconolineFan
Senior User
Originally Posted by jonesg
Then just pull the fuse but leave the lines alone, that way if you ever sell the van the seller won't be scared away by the altered ABS system.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:44 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,111 Posts
I absolutely love this sort of short-mindless "thinking"---it demonstrates a few things............

Sexism as though its only the feminine leaning types or actual women who benefit from a safety device. Fact is at least 60% of vehicle traffic accidents are caused or involve men. Certainly many of those are due undeserved over confidence in ones ability to handle a vehicle at all times or too high speed however the fact remains women or the girly men types are not the biggest threat on our roads.

ABS just like disc brakes originated in aviation---would Sully Sullenberger be a girly man, should he have required his A320's have their ABS disabled? I mean what's a few lives saved when we're so caught up in our "manliness" right?

Darwin had this figured out a long time ago---sad part is we share the roads with this sort of "thinking". Sack up guys----we're sissies coz we like to stop BEFORE smashing into things!

Old 08-10-2014, 10:09 AM
jonesg
Senior User
Then just pull the fuse but leave the lines alone, that way if you ever sell the van the seller won't be scared away by the altered ABS system.
Yeh I've been doing that for a few yrs, I thought bypassing the ABS unit could save a bunch of union and flares. It raises the question of whether the system needs a proportioning valve, if its built in to the ABS then I've been driving without it a long time anyway.

If you just pull the fuse the ABS warning light comes on, pull that fuse and a buzzer goes off, I put a screw in that buzzer to silence it.
The fuse can't be left out because all the guages go to their extreme and stay pinned. I pull the ABS fuse to get inspection sticker then install the fuse again and ignore the ABS light.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:12 AM
jonesg
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA
I absolutely love this sort of short-mindless "thinking"---it demonstrates a few things............

Sexism as though its only the feminine leaning types or actual women who benefit from a safety device. Fact is at least 60% of vehicle traffic accidents are caused or involve men. Certainly many of those are due undeserved over confidence in ones ability to handle a vehicle at all times or too high speed however the fact remains women or the girly men types are not the biggest threat on our roads.

ABS just like disc brakes originated in aviation---would Sully Sullenberger be a girly man, should he have required his A320's have their ABS disabled? I mean what's a few lives saved when we're so caught up in our "manliness" right?

Darwin had this figured out a long time ago---sad part is we share the roads with this sort of "thinking". Sack up guys----we're sissies coz we like to stop BEFORE smashing into things!
I don't see ABS or 4x4 capability helping the fools who crash in winter around here, its what they do whilst the foot is on the gas that renders everything futile except their airbag. Almost 50 yrs without a crash and no ABS here. Don't like it, ain't gonna use it.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:46 AM
EconolineFan
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA

You drive a truck with power steering? You're a girly man! You use an electric starter instead of cranking it by hand like great great grand pa did in the 20's? You're a girly man!

Old 08-10-2014, 11:15 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,111 Posts
You drive a truck with power steering? You're a girly man! You use an electric starter instead of cranking it by hand like great great grand pa did in the 20's? You're a girly man!
Guilty as charged sir---my apologies for overlooking the obvious!

I believe from now on I'll push start my E250--can't be that tough right?

Old 08-10-2014, 08:10 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seat belts twice saved my butt (1973 - I was guilty/74 - I was a passenger) but after this manly challenge I now feel the urge to quit wearing them.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:43 AM
Byooty
Junior User
Originally Posted by Army RET
Seat belts twice saved my butt (1973 - I was guilty/74 - I was a passenger) but after this manly challenge I now feel the urge to quit wearing them.
Hell, why not go the whole hog and just sit on the hood and control the thing with bits of wire and string?

Old 08-11-2014, 10:34 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
It's also great for those who don't pay attention to what's going on around them either. It's a crutch for poor drivers. Just plumb the lines from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve, then from the valve to the wheels. They were built that way for decades before ABS. I too have experienced a few ABS systems that were dangerous to drive on slick roads. The ABS system on my 96 doesn't work, and I'm not about to spend good money on it to find out why. It drives and stops just fine without it.

Quick Reply: by-pass the ABS system.