General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Desk Top Computer HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 03:01 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Desk Top Computer HELP!!

Hey Guys I have a pretty new Gateway all in one touch screen piece of foreign tech that is all corrupted to heck. I am hoping someone on here can and will try and help. I want to reinstall it and make it like it was the day I bought it. I got my pic's and some other stuff backed up already. A week or so ago I found a place on it that I think would let me do just that. But some folks came over and after they left I can't find it again for the life of me. Everyday I spend a few hours going over and over stuff on here and just can't find it. Anyone have any idea what I am talking about. I don't remember for sure but I think it said that Gateway had like a mirror image or a locked folder on the hard drive that had the operating system on it and it could be reinstalled. No I did not get any software with it. I got it at Wall-mart about a year ago. I can't even get into there support site with any help. It's windows 7 Home Premium. Please someone point the way for this disabled old trucker.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:30 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
At Start up , it may be continue to tap F8

Old 08-05-2014, 08:57 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Click on the windows button
Click "control panel"
Under "system and Security" click "back up your computer"
Click "recover system settings on your computer"
You can "open system restore" if you have a good system image backed up
Or you can click "advanced recovery methods" if you want to completely re-install windows ( you'll need a windows disk)

Old 08-06-2014, 05:20 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Originally Posted by clux
Click on the windows button
Click "control panel"
Under "system and Security" click "back up your computer"
Click "recover system settings on your computer"
You can "open system restore" if you have a good system image backed up
Or you can click "advanced recovery methods" if you want to completely re-install windows ( you'll need a windows disk)
Ive done that^^^^^ when you open system restore it can restore from a previous date

Old 08-06-2014, 11:27 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
I didn't get a system disk or any software with this computer. So it's not on the hard drive somewhere? Can I download it from like Gateway? Except I have yet to find anyway to contact Gateway.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:23 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
This is from the Gateway support site...

Recovery media is not necessary to recover your computer. You can use Gateway Recovery Management to reinstall your Operating System from a hidden partition built into your computer. If you have replaced your original hard drive, you will not have Recovery Management, and will need to install windows using Recovery disks.

Note: During the process, all data stored on your computer will be overwritten. This means all your files, such as email and photos, will be erased. Therefore, we recommend making a backup of all personal data before starting the recovery process..

Use the following steps to start the system recovery:

Restart the computer.
When the Acer logo appears on the screen, press the left Alt, and the F10 keys.
If you are prompted with a Microsoft Windows boot screen, press the Enter key.
After the Acer eRecovery Management application has loaded, select your restore type.
Read the notice, and then click Next when you are ready.
Click Next to begin the restore process. The restore can take anywhere from 10 minutes up to an hour.
Once the restore is complete your computer will load Windows and start installing your drivers and software. Your computer may reboot several times during this process. After everything is complete your computer will be like it was when you first purchased it.
If the steps above do not work, you will need to use recovery media to restore your system. If you do not have a set of Acer Recovery Media, you may purchase a set online.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:11 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Thanks Don. That's what I needed. So if ya never hear from me again just know I tried. Wow we had a shooting here this morning. Just outside the village. One dead and three wounded. LEO's are all over the place. But wont talk about it. No one knows yet just what happened. Or even who they was.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:30 PM
donjamer
Glad I could help

Hope your computer is back to normal soon...LOL

Old 08-06-2014, 06:01 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
I am back but a long way from normal. But then just what really is normal?

Old 08-06-2014, 06:06 PM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
welcome back arctic,,, hope you printed the directions and placed them in a safe spot

Old 08-07-2014, 12:10 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by slimbo13
welcome back arctic,,, hope you printed the directions and placed them in a safe spot
Yes I did. I backed up all my pics but lost all my bookmarks. Was there a way
to save them?
I still have to reset the font size bigger and a few other things but it is once
again as healthy as it ever was.

Thanks Guys

Old 08-07-2014, 12:56 PM
donjamer
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Yes I did. I backed up all my pics but lost all my bookmarks. Was there a way
to save them?
I still have to reset the font size bigger and a few other things but it is once
again as healthy as it ever was.

Thanks Guys
You can backup your bookmarks..

I am assuming you use Firefox..

If you go into the bookmark manager there will be the option to Backup your bookmarks..

Here are the instructions

How to Backup Firefox Bookmarks

Oct/21 in Bookmark Help
Backing up your bookmarks is one of those chores you have on your to-do list but never get around to it. Then when they are lost, you say – I wish I would have. Here are a few Firefox bookmark backup techniques to help you out.

How to Backup Your Bookmarks Manually

From the Firefox menu bar go to Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks to bring up your bookmarks manager. Now you want to click the top button that says Import and Backup.

Next, select Backup. This will bring up a “Save As” box where you can save your bookmarks to any location. Make sure you leave the bookmark as a .json file too. Since Firefox 3, this is the type of file Firefox uses for backups. If you wish to export your bookmarks as an HTML file, go to Import and Backup > Export HTML. That will give you the more traditional .html backup.

Recover Firefox’s Internal Bookmark Backups

bookmark-backupsDid you know that Firefox has been backing up your bookmarks all along? They are in your Firefox profile folder. First thing you need to do is find your profile folder for Firefox. Depending on your operating system this may be in a different location. If you are unsure, be sure to check out this previous post:

Where is my Firefox Profile Folder?
Once you make it in there you should see a folder named “bookmarkbackups”. Double-click that folder, and there you have some of your saved bookmarks that you thought you had lost waiting for you to restore them. If you want more backups to be saved (default is 5) then check out this previous article on the simple about:config tweak you will need to do.

Backup Your Bookmarks with an Add-on

There are many extensions for Firefox that will help you backup too. My personal favorite is Foxmarks, which comes with the additional feature of syncing them with another PC (another good backup technique in its own right). Here are the best:

FEBE – The perfect add-on for those backing up and don’t wish to rely on other services.
Foxmarks – The greatest backup and syncing extension out there today.
Delicious Bookmarks – Yes, syncing with services like Delicious is another great way to backup your bookmarks.
Now the question is how do you and when did you last backup your own Firefox bookmarks?
If you are not using Firefox let me know....

If you are just using Internet explorer all you have to do is backup your favorites directory under the user directory

Old 08-07-2014, 01:50 PM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks don i lost my marks few times