6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 06:13 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Rusty go for the all aluminum rad,I wish I did when I was putting my truck together

Old 08-03-2014, 06:53 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Not too big of a deal I guess Benny but this stuff does seem to have a way of popping up at just to the wrong time.
On a lighter note.. Here's a pic of one of the more nerve wracking, white knuckle tows I've done lately.

Haulin the dooky wagon to the dump station . Incredible potential for disaster!
OH S*@"t., I don't like the looks of that, your right , White knuckle for sure when chuck holes in the pavement

Old 08-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Forddiesel06
Hey Rusty I got back from Franklin,NC after been there for 2 weeks. If you need a truck to help to get u home I offer my truck. Jim
Wow Jim, that's an awesome offer (and a good piece of mind also)! But I think I'm gonna wait till the outside temp cools off Saturday evening, top the level off and crack the cap to keep the pressure down and ease on home. A couple stops along the way to check the level should keep me out of trouble. I truly thank you for the offer though.

We do have 2 vehicles here so that helps. I ran the truck here at the campgrounds long enough today to get up to full temp and couldn't see any leaks so I'm a little puzzled. I'm going to borrow a pressure tester when I get home and hopefully that will verify where the problem is before I order any parts.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Forddiesel06
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok Rusty sounds like a good game plan, have a safe trip back home. Hope u did not get to hot pulling that honey wagon...lol

Old 08-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Opinions?

I heard back from Andrew at Bullet Proof Diesel. Their replacement radiator is a single core. He also verified with Ford the factory unit is single core also. The Mishimoto is a two core design. Lots of good testimonials on the BPD unit, and I've never had a cooling system problem except when my oil cooler was failing. I'm sure the Mishi unit is a nice piece but do Ya'll think the extra cooling capacity is worth the significant extra expense or is it unnecessary overkill?

Old 08-04-2014, 01:47 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Rusty,
I think it over kill. Look how well the Ford radiator
drops the temps. You might find the extra cooling
handy if you do a lot of heavy pulling up steep grades.
But like you said is the extra $$ worth it. Will you be putting
it to the best place.

Have you started home yet or do you have not relaxing time
before you head home?

Sean

Old 08-04-2014, 02:47 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
My schedule got a little complicated but the truck n camper will be coming home on Sarurday. I've talked to a couple more guys on the phone and they agree the single row works well and is more than adequate for most trucks in my part of the country. Still want to find the leak before changing it out though.

I had a 70 GTO for many years and I remember noticing the big 4row radiator in a GranPrix I had bought for parts (455 and turbo 400). I swapped it with the 3row that was in the car and it cooled much better. I guess gassers ar just different. I was trying to keep that one under 180° and I wish my 6.0 would bump 200° more often. Just stuck in my mind. "More is better" thinking again.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Wow Piolet that Bullet Proof radiator is a bargain! No issues with yours hu? I can't help but wonder if it's a single row design, did you notice when you had yours out? What about the factory radiator, did you see if it was single or double?
I like a bargain but the Mishimoto clearly says double row and some of the others say single. Bullet Proof didn't specify (I did send them an email). I don't want to back up on cooling capacity to save money.

Thanks for the video link and tips guys!
Hi Rusty. So you got your answer from BPD, and that's good to know. I didn't actually know that.

Mine has been in since April 20th 2012, so that's 2yrs 3months+. It went in at 245,803 miles and I'm now at 319,132 miles ... so that's 73,329 miles.

I don't tow with it but my temps on the highway at 70 - 75mph are usually oil: 192-190+/-, coolant: 188-186+/-.
Coming to an idle at traffic lights or stopped rush hour traffic she'll come to 189 oil / 186 coolant real quick.

p.s. If I recall it had a made in Thailand or Taiwan sticker on it.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:06 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Well Rusty, this is good news/bad news. Bad news because it happened on a vacation. Good news because I got to watch that video on radiator removal.

He sure makes it look easy to remove the shroud. I've heard all kinds of tales on taking that thing out. Can it really be that easy?

Good luck with your trip home. I've done the same on other vehicles and leaving the cap loose. Shouldn't be a problem on a 6 liter. Leave the degas level a little lower than normal.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:55 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
I looked for a larger radiator about a year ago when I did mine. I had no luck. As I said on the phone, if the two two row radiator has more depth (cooling surface), it has to cool better. If it's the same overall depth, I can't see that it would be an improvement.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Made it home, no worries. Lost about 3 quarts of coolant. Thought I was going to have to wait until evening when the temps dropped but a thunderstorm went through so I went for it when the outside temps dropped. Interesting that towing @ 50-55mph max coolat temp was 219° and max oil temp was 226° And that was in some hills. Most of the time it hung around ECT190/EOT 194. I don't think I've ever tried towing that slowly before .
Anyway, I hope to borrow a pressure tester tomorrow and find where the leak is. It appears to only leak sometimes, kinda puzzling considering the degas cap was cracked open a little and no sign of leakage there. It's all still up front like in my original pictures. It may be something to do with my coolant filter plumbing.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 08-09-2014, 05:58 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad you made it home with no problems.
I bet it'll be a simple fix.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:29 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Glad you and the TT are home safe. My truck apparently didn't like my offer to head your way if you needed help. I got in mine today to move it to get the car closer to the garage and it would not run. TorquePro indicated no cam/crank sync, but the sync is a weakness of TP.

Let us know what you decide if it is the radiator.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Good to hear your home.

Sean

Old 08-09-2014, 07:48 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Thanks guys, I might try posting a video if I can figure out how , and it looks interesting. I post pics when I can but I haven't tried a video ever. Headed to church in the morning. Son has put his name in the hat for Deacon elections. Hope to work on it in the afternoon. Maybe it will be something easy.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak