Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2014, 04:38 PM
Senior User

Royson12 is starting off with a positive reputation.
"High Voltage" Theft Deterent?

Ok, I'll run this down for ya! I travel out of town from time to time for work. I am an industrial electrician. Over the last couple of years, I have been relieved of several tools, leads off of my welder, ice chests, tailgater BBQ's, ect... from the back of my truck. The latest, on my way to Williston, ND. In a stop over in Salina, Ks. Some a#@hole stole my beer out of my ice chest! 2 - 5 gallon diesel jugs(full) out of the back of my truck. While I was getting my beauty sleep. Now, here in ND, some other yahoo, relieved me of my tailgate BBQ grill. I'm getting pretty sour about it. That's the why, here is what I want to do! I want to put an alarm on my truck, but since I stay in hotels, and would not be able to get to my truck in time, if someone tried violating me again. I want to wire a relay in place of the siren, to run an electric fence charger hooked to my truck. Hidden of course. Idea is, that once armed. A yahoo sticks his body in my truck to get something, instead of a siren, it activates the relay, which in turn, powers up the fencer.. Teaching some unsuspecting yahoo acrobatics! And, no I don't care if they hurt themselves, if anybody is wondering. My question is, will the fencer High Voltage running through the metal parts on my truck harm any of the electronics? I am an electrician, and in my mind, it wouldn't, being the fencer is seeking a different ground. I will install a ground clamp in my grill that, I can put to a light pole, ground rod ect.. What do you guys think?
Old 07-27-2014, 05:22 PM
Elder User

MOOSE_MACHINE is starting off with a positive reputation.
I can't tell you how it will effect the truck but I do know in the dry summer months on concrete my cows can chew on the fencer wires with no effect unless they urinate. The concrete is just too dry to complete the circuit and give them a shock. That being said we used to be able to get weed burners that were a lot more powerful. I can't get them in canada because they have been banned. But south of the border maybe. It may even work in the dry months
2000 F-150 XLT 4x4 4.6 e4od
Nick
Old 07-27-2014, 05:45 PM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
Agreed with Moose. Also, you run the rusk of getting SUED
Old 07-27-2014, 06:03 PM
Postmaster

rodneywar has a good reputation on FTE.rodneywar has a good reputation on FTE.
wouldnt it be easier to buy a strong box and bolt it to the bed?
1996 f350 4x4 7.3, pmf with sd v codes and sd procomp rears , mods- dp tuner f-6 ,irate reg ret with 125 gph fass titanum, custom 38 gal tank, afe, edge insight, s463 turbo, 4 inch dp to 5 inch exhaust, 3 inch sd plenum, studded, 910 vs, di pushrods, t500, ffd 250cc 200%, intercooler, 120v idm 4r100 with all the goodies, hydroboost, 08 rear diff cover, custom driveshaft and more mods too many to list
Old 07-27-2014, 06:40 PM
Postmaster

glovemeister is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.glovemeister is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royson12 View Post
Ok, I'll run this down for ya! I travel out of town from time to time for work. I am an industrial electrician. Over the last couple of years, I have been relieved of several tools, leads off of my welder, ice chests, tailgater BBQ's, ect... from the back of my truck. The latest, on my way to Williston, ND. In a stop over in Salina, Ks. Some a#@hole stole my beer out of my ice chest! 2 - 5 gallon diesel jugs(full) out of the back of my truck. While I was getting my beauty sleep. Now, here in ND, some other yahoo, relieved me of my tailgate BBQ grill. I'm getting pretty sour about it. That's the why, here is what I want to do! I want to put an alarm on my truck, but since I stay in hotels, and would not be able to get to my truck in time, if someone tried violating me again. I want to wire a relay in place of the siren, to run an electric fence charger hooked to my truck. Hidden of course. Idea is, that once armed. A yahoo sticks his body in my truck to get something, instead of a siren, it activates the relay, which in turn, powers up the fencer.. Teaching some unsuspecting yahoo acrobatics! And, no I don't care if they hurt themselves, if anybody is wondering. My question is, will the fencer High Voltage running through the metal parts on my truck harm any of the electronics? I am an electrician, and in my mind, it wouldn't, being the fencer is seeking a different ground. I will install a ground clamp in my grill that, I can put to a light pole, ground rod ect.. What do you guys think?
Why not just lock your stuff up in a toolbox, or large chest in the back of your truck, or pull a small enclosed work trailer. ? If you look into Katko v. Briney you will see some information about this. Long story short, if you have private property with no trespassing signs and fences, and setup a "booby trap" that causes harm to someone who breaks in, they can sue you and will likely win a large judgement against you. Plus you run the risk of a little kid touching it or someone else touching it accidentally.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovemeister View Post
Why not just lock your stuff up in a toolbox, or large chest in the back of your truck, or pull a small enclosed work trailer. ? If you look into Katko v. Briney you will see some information about this. Long story short, if you have private property with no trespassing signs and fences, and setup a "booby trap" that causes harm to someone who breaks in, they can sue you and will likely win a large judgement against you. Plus you run the risk of a little kid touching it or someone else touching it accidentally.
Well it was a thought, I guess the wrong doers have all the rights as usual. And a little kid would not have any business in my truck either. And, proper upbringing would teach them that. I do have a enclosed trailer, that will probably be the next thing they steal. I'll just go back to protecting my truck via Glock, maybe one day I'll get lucky and a thief will run out of luck.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:04 PM
Senior User

I don't know the laws everywhere else. In Texas, I know of business that have electrified fences around there property. They do have signs, warning of such. But, apparently it is legal in Texas.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Senior User

I'll probably cool off, and go back to being my sweet old self tomorrow. I'm just currently bent a little out of shape.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:14 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royson12 View Post
I'll probably cool off, and go back to being my sweet old self tomorrow. I'm just currently bent a little out of shape.
Understandably. Another positive to owning a farm is barb wire and electric fences are kind of expected. I've never heard of a farmer getting sued for that around here lol
Nick
Old 07-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE View Post
Understandably. Another positive to owning a farm is barb wire and electric fences are kind of expected. I've never heard of a farmer getting sued for that around here lol
Maybe I'll put a cow in the back of my truck, and then a fence! LOL

Just sours me that people do things like that. I work hard for the things I have. And, a 20 dollar grill and a couple of plastic fuel cans? Please! I would lock everything up, but then, I would have bought a van. I like trucks, so I will have to suffer the consequences from time to time.
I recon!
Old 07-27-2014, 07:58 PM
Post Fiend

JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.
MY S&W and my Wife's Mossburg are good deterants . 8 Large dogs help also .... When I travel I keep things locked up . Knock on wood , No problems yet . ( I still have my S&W , just in case )
Old 07-27-2014, 08:37 PM
Posting Guru

1972RedNeck is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Irrigation boots and even many of the work boots I've had over the years won't conduct electricity. I can hold on to an electric fence all day long and not feel a thing.

I think we need to let Darwin take over and start shooting the thieves or even just removing fingers - much cheaper and more effective than jail.
Originally Posted by HIO Silver View Post
Why polish a turd?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO Silver View Post
Be wary of LMC even though they are a source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater View Post
Ah, yes, the 460 phenomena, once Al Gore invented the internet the 460 found a place it could get double digit fuel economy.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Elder User

I've been broken into but I haven't lost much. All in all I've been very lucky. Leaving my doors unlocked and having things in the box and nothing has gone missing. Come to think of it the only time anything has been stolen from me is when it was locked up lol
Nick
Old 07-27-2014, 09:31 PM
Post Fiend

oldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to all
"Teaching some unsuspecting yahoo acrobatics! "
The Mare 97 dually cc, s366 turbo, stage II's, IC, studs, springs, rods, JW auto, 4:10 LS, efuel, FS2500 bypass oil filter, HVHF IDM, IH WP, 6.0 trans cooler & fan, MBRP 4", SD dual tensioner, AFE intake, 220 amp alt, 38G rear tank, soundproofed, 3 TS chips
Old 07-27-2014, 10:24 PM
Senior User

osu711 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Couldn't you just make like a fence that would set into the bed posts, bolt the posts in from the inside of the bed posts and put the fencer on in a spot of the truck where it would be unseen? Than when your done unbolt the bolts and roll up your fence and go?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:24 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel