1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Home Brewed 70 Short Bed Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blue04.5
Looks sharp, what are the details on the bed floor?
Thanks blue04.5, After desiding to box the sides I thought it would look better to put a smooth floor in it to, so I removed the old floor and used some heavy sheet metal I had, 14 Gauge I thank. Then epoxied it then put Herculiner on it.

Originally Posted by FILTHY
This thing is pretty much Amazing! Great job.
Thanks FILTHY, after looking at pictures of what you have done to your truck thats a real compliment.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:59 PM
highntight
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
very sharp looking. thanks for sharing...

Old 10-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Well I got a little more done to the truck today. My son came over to the shop and we got the bed set on. Also got the shift linkage reworked, so it now shifts from the column, I still need to rework the bracket to hook the TV cable to the carb, anyway thats another days work. Here is a few pictures to show how it is looking.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:55 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Very nice work and you've been moving right a long on this project.

One thing, I did to my replacement tailgate was add some of the bed roll on bed coating that has saved it from getting scratched up if painted. And it's easy to cover any little place if it dose scratched.

The Bad is, I have a topper as some guys call them but on the west coast of sunny California there called camper shells.

Now back to the bad is if you ever have to crawl into the bed on your hands & knees. Making knee contact on that rough bumpy surface is not something you don't want to ever have to do again. And to add to it having old boney bad bum knees to start with..

Not sure if any worse then having some aluminum diamond plate covering on the inside of the tailgate. But sure makes you remember it the next time you have to retrieve something out of the back crossing over that wonderful bumpy stuff..
Orich

Old 10-18-2014, 08:41 PM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Bedliners can be bought in different textures. There's the really rough stuff like skateboard grip tape, or there's the smoother stuff that has the same roughness as paint with rust bubbles underneath. I believe the latter is the kind that you can have paint matched.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:13 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
I know where your at on your knees. Between my back and legs I find myself setting as much as I work. While my son was helping me with the bed today we talked about the pros and con of bed liner on the tail gate. I think I'll probably paint it for now, just to see how it looks since I smoothed it inside and out. I can always add it later if I decide to, but it's hard it take it off.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:38 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by trozei
Bedliners can be bought in different textures. There's the really rough stuff like skateboard grip tape, or there's the smoother stuff that has the same roughness as paint with rust bubbles underneath. I believe the latter is the kind that you can have paint matched.
20 yrs ago when, I was going to go with X liner bed liner they did not have much to choose from as was still rougher then what I wanted or the color.

So I did it myself in zolatone that lays pretty flat which was not any problem moving over it on my hands & knees. Then about 12 yrs about replaced my tailgate stripped all the yellow paint off and since I did not want buy a $50 qt of zolatone just for the inside the T-gate Thorugh I'd try some of the roll on at Walmart $8 buck.. But that day it got pretty warn fast and maybe should have waited for a cooler day buy I needed it done so went for it, it sets up faster then I thought it would.

So ended up being pretty rough on a old farts bony knees.
My doctor gave me a knee brace about 5 yrs that's a pain to have on.
And no crawling around when it's on. Can't wear it while tinkering around with the truck. Doc says I was lucky to make to my age at that time.
It was when I was a little younger then of 66.

But now being 71 with only one knee surgery, 3 back surgeries, 1 eye surgery, 1 shoulder, 3 foot surgeries. I can still drive my old 71 4wd with manual steering and bang that 5spd. I feel good like, I got another 10 yrs left~~~ I hope
Orich

Old 10-19-2014, 07:22 AM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by orich
But now being 71 with only one knee surgery, 3 back surgeries, 1 eye surgery, 1 shoulder, 3 foot surgeries. I can still drive my old 71 4wd with manual steering and bang that 5spd. I feel good like, I got another 10 yrs left~~~ I hope
Orich
I hope you can get everyday of that 10 yrs. I guess when your younger and feeling good it is easy to take your health for granted. I still do pretty much what I want to do, but you just have to learn to take your time and work smarter. I use my engine hoist and tractor to lift and move a lot of things I used to grab and go with.
Now back to the bed. When I first started this build I was planning on a wood bed, but I knew if I went with wood I would never lay anything in it, so the bed liner won out. It turned out a little rougher then I wanted it to be, so I'm just hoping now it's not to hard to keep it clean and looking good. This truck want never see any heavy use (I have another truck for that) but I don't want it to become a garage queen.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:59 AM
f100today
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Did u buy one of those tailgate relocation kits or just fab your own? Details on how you did it? Also, I may have missed it but is that wimbledon white?

Old 10-19-2014, 11:28 AM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
I made the handle myself, I think I have some pictures of it at home that I can post tonight, I'm at the shop now. The paint is Pure White, and is Summit Racings single stage urethane. I used Wimbledon on the last truck I built so I just wanted something a little different.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:40 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
f100today I have a picture of the outside of the tailgate handle, but I guess I need to take one of the back side. It's off the tailgate right now so I can block it for painting, so I'll take the camera to the shop and take a couple. If you have a welder they are pretty easy to make, you can see I just made to out of what I had.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:24 PM
NFLD FLARESIDE
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice work

Old 10-27-2014, 01:27 PM
fe390pc
Logistics Pro
Received 190 Likes on 174 Posts
Wow, what a great job.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:15 PM
brandonbb
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice job on the truck! That is awesome to be able to take it all the way down and bring it back completely new or rebuilt. What lowering kit did you use? Front end looked like the dream lowering beams? Was that a 3 in the font 4 in the rear?

Old 10-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for the comments guys.
brandonbb - It is the DJM beams on the front and a homemade flip kit and c-notch on the back. the best I can tell it gave me 3" in the front and 5 1/2" in the back. I started blocking the doors today so maybe I can have them on before long.

Quick Reply: Home Brewed 70 Short Bed Build