Sponsored by:

Lets Talk The 6.6 Brazilian.... Tech and Performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 02:52 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Lets Talk The 6.6 Brazilian.... Tech and Performance

I know Neverenufhp has a webpage with some info and posts all over these forums, but im interested in getting down to bare bones on info for these engines.

What I have read is that they came with Bosch A-series and MW series injection pumps, though every picture I have seen of this engine, it has had a Bosch P series pump. It has been said that the P-pump came on the 93 only, but even the older engines have P series pumps on them.

Right now (I wont post a link for date purposes) There is a pump from an 86 N/A 6.6 on EBay (E6HN9A543DB) with the numbers "PES6P110A720RS3194". That is a Bosch P3000 pump with 11mm plungers.

That being said, I have some experience with Bosch A-series pumps, and they look nothing like the pumps on the 6.6/7.8, Same with the MW.

Is there anybody that can confirm the Part number on their 6.6? Its right on the side of the pump.

I think the 6.6 could be a great platform for a performance engine, especially with a P-series pump. The P3000-11mm pumps are good for like 370cc stock, and 13mm plungers are an easy upgrade for up to 800cc's.

The engines have 6 head bolts per cylinder, and they are 9/16" from the factory... Toss some ARP's in, and Im willing to bet these would hold a ton of boost.

From what I have seen, their parts are stout as hell, and it has a removable intake manifold. I think with the proper adapter plate for an IDI/PSD transmission, and some motor mounts, these would come pretty close to dropping in an F250/350...

Does anybody have any specs to contribute that might help shed some light? Any negative experiences?

Old 07-23-2014, 04:41 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,160 Likes on 2,204 Posts
i prefer the 7.8 over the 6.6.
in my opinion it is a much better engine.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have run the 6.6 in a Louisville, and think it would be a great swap candidate as long as weight wasn't a concern. I guess you could say I'm a fan of the Brazilian-

Old 07-24-2014, 09:22 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tjc transport
i prefer the 7.8 over the 6.6.
in my opinion it is a much better engine.
Yeah, I think the 7.8 would be the one go with if one was going to go through the work for the swap, but they are a lot harder to find, and significantly more expensive.

Are there any structural differences between the two beyond the higher deck of the 7.8? I was under the assumption that both engines were identical aside from the taller deck and bigger stroke.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:31 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
I have run the 6.6 in a Louisville, and think it would be a great swap candidate as long as weight wasn't a concern. I guess you could say I'm a fan of the Brazilian-
LOL, weight concern...After coming from a Louisville... haha...

But realistically, If one were to keep it stock, Id be right with you, however, these appear to have some fuel output capability, and at least the top end to hold everything in... The real issue would be block/rotating assembly durability, that's kind of what Im trying to find out. The pictures of the Rods I have seen showed a pretty stout structure, and huge wrist pin diameter (It Better with a 4.400" Bore)... The Square Bore x Stroke would mean a great higher RPM performer. I have read of some piston issues, but not any real info to back it up. Right now the biggest drawback I see to the engine is the fact that the exhaust is on the drivers side and kind of cramps room for more than one turbo... Of course, if one were to run the 7.8, who says more than 1 turbo would be needed?? At least up to a point...

Who doesn't love a good Brazilian every now and again?

Old 07-24-2014, 02:54 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,160 Likes on 2,204 Posts
pretty much the same engine.
a friend has a 90 with the 7.8 in it, it has close to 750,000 miles on it and still runs like new.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:37 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I seem to remember neverenufhp thinking the 6.6 wasn't a good platform for big power like some other engines. I could be wrong, or misunderstood, or just imagining things.

I would guess it would be an expensive adventure, especially with cheap dt360's that are proven as being able to handle large power numbers....

Old 07-25-2014, 01:48 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by parkland
I seem to remember neverenufhp thinking the 6.6 wasn't a good platform for big power like some other engines. I could be wrong, or misunderstood, or just imagining things.

I would guess it would be an expensive adventure, especially with cheap dt360's that are proven as being able to handle large power numbers....
Yeah, Ive read just about anything he posted, but it seemed to me like he just caught up in the DT stuff, and never did anything with the 6.6.

That being said, I have yet to see any evidence of these engines failing from anything but a cavitated cylinder. Hell, most of the take outs im running across are runners in the 400K range with no issues at all.

I think I just need to find one for a decent price and do some tinkering.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:07 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
I still have the 6.6 in my garage. I say it can still be a serious contender. There's a guy in youtube with one in an F350(Twisted Brazilian). It's hard to have the cash to sink into it while supporting 3 kids and an ex.
It's still possible in the next year or so. My P-pump is a 10mm, so I will have to live with it for now. I can always swap a 12mm pump fron a Dodge later. I'd just like to get it in and running. I see the rpm potential, and wouldnt hesitate to run it up to 4500 if I had stiff valve springs. They sure sound good wound up.
Parkland, sirrr. I was saying it's not as good as a DT if you plan on going for all out power, like in the 1000hp+ range. Not to say a 6.6 cant do it.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:03 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Ahhh ok. So the 6.6 might be every good as several other similar engines, just not much testing by many people....

RacinNdrummin, why are you interested in the 6.6? Did you happen to run accross one, or just curious at this point?

Old 07-28-2014, 11:13 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by nevrenufhp
I still have the 6.6 in my garage. I say it can still be a serious contender. There's a guy in youtube with one in an F350(Twisted Brazilian). It's hard to have the cash to sink into it while supporting 3 kids and an ex.
It's still possible in the next year or so. My P-pump is a 10mm, so I will have to live with it for now. I can always swap a 12mm pump fron a Dodge later. I'd just like to get it in and running. I see the rpm potential, and wouldnt hesitate to run it up to 4500 if I had stiff valve springs. They sure sound good wound up.
Parkland, sirrr. I was saying it's not as good as a DT if you plan on going for all out power, like in the 1000hp+ range. Not to say a 6.6 cant do it.
What are the numbers on your pump?

It would probably be easier/cheaper to swap 13mm B/P's into that pump than find a 12mm from a dodge and adapt it.

Would there be any way for you to pop the pan off and get a pic of the rods/rotating assembly? I saw pics of the pistons and pins, and they are just huge, bigger than anything ive seen yet in that range (DT466, DT360, 6bt, whatever) The rods are hard to tell, but based off of scale from the pin, they look huge as well, the only thing that may need to be upgraded is the size of the rod bolts.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:20 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by parkland
Ahhh ok. So the 6.6 might be every good as several other similar engines, just not much testing by many people....

RacinNdrummin, why are you interested in the 6.6? Did you happen to run accross one, or just curious at this point?
I am thinking Im going to find the limit of the IDI here really soon. The goal is to get everything I can out of it with the DB4/SC/S471 combo, then pull the DB4 and swap my P-pump on it. Turn the wick up until she goes or I get too scared to drive it, one of the two. I have a feeling the IDI will give up the ghost around 600whp in some form. If it does, I am looking at swapping a 6.6/7.8 in and exploring that platform a bit. I don't want a cummins, and I really dislike international engines, so the obvious route would be a ford legit engine.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:30 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
PES6P100A7204, and that is pretty hard to read. I dont want chinese P&B's, genuine Bosch from my pump guy is around 1100. There shouldnt be any adapting problem from a 6BT/6CT, just add the external oil. Mine is sitting on a cradle, and no room to get the pan off. My hoist needs a ram, which I have the rebuild kit for. I'll see if I can get the pan off without too much dismemberment.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:31 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
oops, double post.

Last edited by nevrenufhp; 08-05-2019 at 05:28 PM. Reason: oops, double post.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:37 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
xxx oops, double post.

Last edited by nevrenufhp; 08-05-2019 at 05:26 PM. Reason: double post

Quick Reply: Lets Talk The 6.6 Brazilian.... Tech and Performance