Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Upgrading AE and Laptop

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 01:38 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Upgrading AE and Laptop

I am looking to upgrade my AE setup. I currently have version 7.3 installed on an old Acer netbook. The Acer is going to be needing a new battery soon and I am thinking instead of spending that money why not get a tablet to run the AE? Looking for suggestions, the tablet will most likely not be used a lot but then you never know. Presently have iPad, MacBook Pro, and a couple of PC desktops so not really lacking in devices or PCs. Maybe I'll just keep the tablet in the truck. I have a mount already which can handle up to about a 10 X 8 device.

Also what will it take to get my old version of AE upgraded and onto the tablet?

Old 07-12-2014, 04:46 PM
locknload223
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribing as I want to know as well. I'm running version 9.0.2.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:33 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Somebody with better knowledge will chime in but when my laptop died and I needed one to run A/E and I was told it won't run on a tablet, but would run on a notebook (or maybe it was a netbook) if I remember correctly.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:02 PM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure I can help you on the tablet, but I spoke to the guys at AE a few months ago when I went to Windows 7. They said there is absolutely no reason to upgrade AE if you are only using it for your 7.3. No enhancements have been release since the ability to scan a 7.3 was created therefor there is nothing new you can do with it. Just trying to save you a few bucks.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:27 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
The only tablet I would think it would run on would be one with window OS, something like the Surface which also has the USB ports.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:11 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Ahem... as everyone shuffles their feet and glances around waiting for Rich to show up.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:56 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Sorry... I worked today.

It was pretty much covered above, but AE works on Windows, and that's it. I know AE won't work on a tablet, but Torque Pro does (Android). If you get a tablet with iOS, you're limited to Dash Command... but it may get as powerful as Torque someday. I use a tablet with Torque Pro for daily monitoring (any trip more than a few minutes). I use AE on the netbook (carputer) for troubleshooting... the carputer has manuals, GPS, other truck-support software, and an ungrounded inverter that works in the cigarette lighter. I also threw a laser/infrared thermometer in the carputer bag. AE works just as fast (or slow in this case) on my netbook with an Atom processor and 2G of RAM as it does on my Laptop with an i7 processor and 8G of RAM.

As for the version of AE, don't go any higher than your newest vehicle in the driveway (or a family member's driveway). There are no "upgrades" in features - just updates in vehicles the software is compatible with. The newest versions have a bug in reading our speed and Fuel Injector Pulse Width, but there's an easy work-around.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:38 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Dern. I knew this was the case some time ago but I was hoping it had changed. Guess I'll just get another battery for the old Acer for the time being.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:22 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Bringing this back to the top as there have been a slew of new 2 in 1 "Surface Pro" type devices running windows coming out for a lot less money than the Pro. I was just at Office Depot and they were putting a brand new Acer 2 in 1 out for $299, there was a Dell for $349 and on their web site there is a Asus for $249. All running Windows 8.1 and Atom processors. I did read on the AE website that you will likely need the latest version of AE due to some USB compatibility issues with Windows 8.1

AE also says you need two USB Ports but if you don't have a mouse why would you need two? Most of these 2 in 1s only have one USB port.

I am no PC expert but wanted to throw this out there for discussion.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:24 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
AE will run on any Windows OS Platform.

Surprised AE didn't try to make the sale.

You can always install it on the new unit and continue to use it.

As for the 7.3, PWM PCM's are pretty obsolete. We still have NGS Units for use on these.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:17 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by whitetmw
...We still have NGS Units for use on these.
Whuh?? Available for sale?

My netbook with an Atom processor uses 2 USB ports. One for the OBDII adapter and one for the security dongle (their method to prevent pirating).

Old 02-22-2015, 09:39 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by bigb56
Bringing this back to the top as there have been a slew of new 2 in 1 "Surface Pro" type devices running windows coming out for a lot less money than the Pro. I was just at Office Depot and they were putting a brand new Acer 2 in 1 out for $299, there was a Dell for $349 and on their web site there is a Asus for $249. All running Windows 8.1 and Atom processors. I did read on the AE website that you will likely need the latest version of AE due to some USB compatibility issues with Windows 8.1

AE also says you need two USB Ports but if you don't have a mouse why would you need two? Most of these 2 in 1s only have one USB port.

I am no PC expert but wanted to throw this out there for discussion.
The newer versions of AE use 1 USB port for communication, and the 2nd for the security dongle.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:49 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Dan V
The newer versions of AE use 1 USB port for communication, and the 2nd for the security dongle.

hmmmm. another reason to hang on to my old version.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:35 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

THE newest version, 13.01 does not use a security dongle anymore. Mine is All-in-One that hooks up on 1 USB port. It's also contains the Activation code built in...Which kinda creeped me out, cause I like My Software keys in hand, and I don't trust Electronic things to keep working But.....Updates are Subscription Based, 4 a year,$50.00.They update your Core program, Bug fixes, and because it works on All models of the flavor You buy, it updates the new years models.....All my vehicles are Fords, so it works out pretty well.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:37 AM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by coax9952

THE newest version, 13.01 does not use a security dongle anymore. Mine is All-in-One that hooks up on 1 USB port. It's also contains the Activation code built in...Which kinda creeped me out, cause I like My Software keys in hand, and I don't trust Electronic things to keep working But.....Updates are Subscription Based, 4 a year,$50.00.They update your Core program, Bug fixes, and because it works on All models of the flavor You buy, it updates the new years models.....All my vehicles are Fords, so it works out pretty well.
The Software Verion has nothing to do with it. The pairing is incorporated in a single connector. That version of the Proline is "married" to that software version alone. Either way, your PAYING annually for a subscription to up-date the software and the proline connectors activation for a later release after 12 months. One Bundle is $50, 2-5 is $150, 6-10 $350...... AE is getting money. Why upgrade for an obsolete PWM System? What he's got is all he needs. To upgrade the VCI will be well over $150 alone.

AE is a simple scan tool. It does allow some computer interface which allows viewing PID's and performing some vehicle diagnostics. That's it, really. There is no scope, no DVM, real time graphing, Flash Pass-through capability, or troubleshooting database. It's a simple scan tool with an interface for our trucks. Analog data... And, their software and flash's are usually a couple years behind what's out there already. But, for our purposes, its adequate.

Quick Reply: Upgrading AE and Laptop