Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2014, 08:04 PM
New User

aralston23 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cool Humming/Rubbing Sound when turning right

I have a 2004 F-150 STX 2WD with a 2.5" leveling kit on it. I recently have noticed a rubbing sound that can be felt in the steering wheel and gas pedal the instant you turn right. I just replaced both hub assemblies and I just really don't know what it could be. It doesn't happen when you turn left or go straight and there should be no reason as to why my tires rub, because they haven't before. I got my truck aligned and they checked my joints and everything and said that it was fine, but I'm running out of ideas and need help
Old 07-09-2014, 06:15 AM
New User

RangerFL1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
This usually happens when Bumpers inside plastic thing is nt properly fixed and when you turn it touches your tyre. Make sure it is fixed.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Elder User

1saxman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Almost certain to be tire rub. Look the tire over carefully and you should see the rub. You may not be able to see/hear it rub with the front end raised because the clearances are different. Also look at the body and front end components to find the rubbed spot.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:16 PM
New User

vicsford2004 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Post That humming /rubbing sound!

If what's been suggested does not cure what's ailing , you might want to check the "right" front wheel bearing, the symptom you've described sounds a lot like something I experienced with my 2004 F-150 supercrew 5.4L sometime ago and that's what it turned out to be. Good luck.

Last edited by vicsford2004; 07-09-2014 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Double posted!
Old 07-09-2014, 05:23 PM
New User

If what's been suggested does not cure what's ailing , you might want to check the "right" front wheel bearing, the symptom you've described sounds a lot like something I experienced with my 2004 F-150 supercrew 5.4L sometime ago and that's what it turned out to be. Good luck.

[Learning is unending and as such the knowledge acquired]

Last edited by vicsford2004; 07-09-2014 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Tried to fix quote.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:27 AM
New User

But see I just replaced the right front wheel bearing, so that can't possibly be it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsford2004 View Post
Old 07-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Postmaster

danorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by aralston23 View Post
But see I just replaced the right front wheel bearing, so that can't possibly be it.
You can buy parts that come broken. They can also break on install...
Old 07-10-2014, 08:20 PM
New User

Not meaning to sound like a "complete" idiot, Was the 'right' bearing replaced because of "symptom" or was it found to be "faulty"? I'm simply trying to establish that both front wheels turn (face) in the direction dictated by the steering wheel "Was the "Left" front bearing checked /replaced"?
Old 07-10-2014, 08:32 PM
New User

They were both replaced last march and then my right one was replaced about 3 weeks ago again and they didn't check the driver side.
Quote:
Not meaning to sound like a "complete" idiot, Was the 'right' bearing replaced because of "symptom" or was it found to be "faulty"? I'm simply trying to establish that both front wheels turn (face) in the direction dictated by the steering wheel "Was the "Left" front bearing checked /replaced"?
Old 07-10-2014, 09:36 PM
New User

Using the mindset that the replaced bearings are "New" I would quickly agree that should not be the cause of your troubles, however since the Right one was essentially replaced twice, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have the Left front bearing "Checked." Incidentally, ironically enough when I had "The symptom(s)" that you've described and changed the Right front bearing, there was still something I kept hearing /feeling (way softer than before) so my mech checked the Left and it did not seem as though that was it (he felt) I asked him to replace it anyway "The rest is History" this is the best I can offer based an actual experience but I'm sure that someone in the FTE family can give you logical suggestions based on knowledge. If you're unable to get this problem rectified, you may want to try "The 12volt" they have a wealth of info it can't hurt to try. Good luck.

[Learning is unending and as such the Knowledge acquired]
Old 07-12-2014, 05:07 PM
New User

Yeah I know I'm going to take it in soon. But I heard a noise the other night when I turned right and it was like a moaning sound coming from my steering wheel and stopped when I straightened out my wheels.
Quote:
Using the mindset that the replaced bearings are "New" I would quickly agree that should not be the cause of your troubles, however since the Right one was essentially replaced twice, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have the Left front bearing "Checked." Incidentally, ironically enough when I had "The symptom(s)" that you've described and changed the Right front bearing, there was still something I kept hearing /feeling (way softer than before) so my mech checked the Left and it did not seem as though that was it (he felt) I asked him to replace it anyway "The rest is History" this is the best I can offer based an actual experience but I'm sure that someone in the FTE family can give you logical suggestions based on knowledge. If you're unable to get this problem rectified, you may want to try "The 12volt" they have a wealth of info it can't hurt to try. Good luck.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:46 PM
New User

That sure sounds familiar, still descriptive of the symptoms I experienced.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:05 PM
New User

I am going to take it in Monday and report back. Thanks for the advice and help!
Quote:

Old 07-15-2014, 12:24 PM
New User

Yeah I took it in and they figured out it was the left side. I don't know if it's cheap parts or half-*** job doing it but he is warranting both the right and front installation and parts for me for 2 years. Thanks for your help!
Quote:

Old 07-15-2014, 12:24 PM