Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Humming/Rubbing Sound when turning right (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1324125-humming-rubbing-sound-when-turning-right.html)

aralston23 07-07-2014 07:04 PM

Humming/Rubbing Sound when turning right

I have a 2004 F-150 STX 2WD with a 2.5" leveling kit on it. I recently have noticed a rubbing sound that can be felt in the steering wheel and gas pedal the instant you turn right. I just replaced both hub assemblies and I just really don't know what it could be. It doesn't happen when you turn left or go straight and there should be no reason as to why my tires rub, because they haven't before. I got my truck aligned and they checked my joints and everything and said that it was fine, but I'm running out of ideas and need help:-arrgh

RangerFL1 07-09-2014 05:15 AM

This usually happens when Bumpers inside plastic thing is nt properly fixed and when you turn it touches your tyre. Make sure it is fixed.

1saxman 07-09-2014 02:18 PM

Almost certain to be tire rub. Look the tire over carefully and you should see the rub. You may not be able to see/hear it rub with the front end raised because the clearances are different. Also look at the body and front end components to find the rubbed spot.

vicsford2004 07-09-2014 04:16 PM

That humming /rubbing sound!

If what's been suggested does not cure what's ailing :), you might want to check the "right" front wheel bearing, the symptom you've described sounds a lot like something I experienced with my 2004 F-150 supercrew 5.4L sometime ago and that's what it turned out to be. Good luck.

vicsford2004 07-09-2014 04:23 PM

If what's been suggested does not cure what's ailing :), you might want to check the "right" front wheel bearing, the symptom you've described sounds a lot like something I experienced with my 2004 F-150 supercrew 5.4L sometime ago and that's what it turned out to be. Good luck.

[Learning is unending and as such the knowledge acquired]

aralston23 07-10-2014 10:27 AM

But see I just replaced the right front wheel bearing, so that can't possibly be it.

Originally Posted by vicsford2004 (Post 14494607)

danorules 07-10-2014 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by aralston23 (Post 14496596)
But see I just replaced the right front wheel bearing, so that can't possibly be it.

You can buy parts that come broken. They can also break on install...

vicsford2004 07-10-2014 07:20 PM

Not meaning to sound like a "complete" idiot, Was the 'right' bearing replaced because of "symptom" or was it found to be "faulty"? I'm simply trying to establish that both front wheels turn (face) in the direction dictated by the steering wheel "Was the "Left" front bearing checked /replaced"?

aralston23 07-10-2014 07:32 PM

They were both replaced last march and then my right one was replaced about 3 weeks ago again and they didn't check the driver side.

Originally Posted by vicsford2004 (Post 14497706)
Not meaning to sound like a "complete" idiot, Was the 'right' bearing replaced because of "symptom" or was it found to be "faulty"? I'm simply trying to establish that both front wheels turn (face) in the direction dictated by the steering wheel "Was the "Left" front bearing checked /replaced"?

vicsford2004 07-10-2014 08:36 PM

Using the mindset that the replaced bearings are "New" I would quickly agree that should not be the cause of your troubles, however since the Right one was essentially replaced twice, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have the Left front bearing "Checked." Incidentally, ironically enough when I had "The symptom(s)" that you've described and changed the Right front bearing, there was still something I kept hearing /feeling (way softer than before) so my mech checked the Left and it did not seem as though that was it (he felt) I asked him to replace it anyway "The rest is History" this is the best I can offer based an actual experience but I'm sure that someone in the FTE family can give you logical suggestions based on knowledge. If you're unable to get this problem rectified, you may want to try "The 12volt" they have a wealth of info it can't hurt to try. Good luck.

[Learning is unending and as such the Knowledge acquired]

aralston23 07-12-2014 04:07 PM

Yeah I know I'm going to take it in soon. But I heard a noise the other night when I turned right and it was like a moaning sound coming from my steering wheel and stopped when I straightened out my wheels.

Originally Posted by vicsford2004 (Post 14497909)
Using the mindset that the replaced bearings are "New" I would quickly agree that should not be the cause of your troubles, however since the Right one was essentially replaced twice, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have the Left front bearing "Checked." Incidentally, ironically enough when I had "The symptom(s)" that you've described and changed the Right front bearing, there was still something I kept hearing /feeling (way softer than before) so my mech checked the Left and it did not seem as though that was it (he felt) I asked him to replace it anyway "The rest is History" this is the best I can offer based an actual experience but I'm sure that someone in the FTE family can give you logical suggestions based on knowledge. If you're unable to get this problem rectified, you may want to try "The 12volt" they have a wealth of info it can't hurt to try. Good luck.

vicsford2004 07-12-2014 04:46 PM

That sure sounds familiar, still descriptive of the symptoms I experienced.

aralston23 07-12-2014 05:05 PM

I am going to take it in Monday and report back. Thanks for the advice and help!

Originally Posted by vicsford2004 (Post 14501943)

aralston23 07-15-2014 11:24 AM

Yeah I took it in and they figured out it was the left side. I don't know if it's cheap parts or half-ass job doing it but he is warranting both the right and front installation and parts for me for 2 years. Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by vicsford2004 (Post 14501943)