1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 07:58 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Advice please

I am considering trading my current vehicle in for a 2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition, with a 5.4L, and am kind of unfamiliar with the Expeditions myself. What are some things that I need to be aware such as common problems, things to look over real good, etc.... before making a purchase of one. This would be purchased as a family/tow vehicle. Options are as listed below. Current mileage 124,250. Thank you in advance for any information/advice!
<table style="border: 1px solid black;" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="2"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;"><table><tbody><tr><td class="small">● 17 Inch Wheels</td></tr><tr><td class="small">● Abs - 4-Wheel</td></tr><tr><td class="small">● Adjustable Pedals - Power</td></tr><tr><td class="small">● Axle Ratio - 3.55</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Bumper Color - Chrome</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Captain Chairs (2)</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Cassette</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Cd Changer</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Center Console</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Cruise Control</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Exterior Entry Lights</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Exterior Mirrors - Heated</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Exterior Mirrors - Integrated Turn Signals</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Exterior Mirrors - Power</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Front Air Conditioning</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Front Air Conditioning - Automatic Climate Control</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Front Airbags - Dual</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Front Fog Lights</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Front Wipers - Intermittent</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Headlights - Auto On/Off</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Inside Rearview Mirror - Auto-Dimming</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Multi-Function Remote - Keyless Entry</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Overhead Console</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td style="vertical-align: top;"><table><tbody><tr><td class="small">● Power</td></tr><tr><td class="small">● Power Adjustments</td></tr><tr><td class="small">● Power Door Locks</td></tr><tr><td class="small">● Power Steering</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Power Windows</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Premium Brand - Mach</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Privacy Glass</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Radio - Am/Fm</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Rear Air Conditioning</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Rear Defogger</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Rear Heat - Vents</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Rear Wiper</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Rim Type - Chrome</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Roof Rack</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Running Boards</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Steering Wheel - Tilt-Adjustable</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Steering Wheel Trim - Leather</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Tachometer</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Third Seat</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Tinted</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Trip Computer</td></tr><tr style="display: table-row;" class="hidden"><td class="small">● Upholstery - Leather</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

Old 07-06-2014, 08:22 PM
carguy94
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
early model expys had heater core and air transfer issue for the air conditioning removal of the dash is required in order to properly fix this issue. commonly the four wheel drive actuator motor fails and at least on most of the ones i have worked on brake rotor replacement can be interesting all and all not to bad when taken car of their are a countless number with 200 plus thousand miles just find a good one. and brake lines are a major issue junk metal. what type of 5.4 by the way.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Right! I should have crawled under it and took a good look at it, I will do that next time I look at it.
Help me out, what do you mean by type of 5.4L? It's gas, if that is what you asking. Other than that, I don't know what to look for.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:28 PM
carguy94
Senior User
i just mean how many valves per cylinder no big deal just is nice to know in case of any future work. the one i had also had a transmission cooler leak not to beat on these trucks but i do not think that was a common issue just me and my issues.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
I only took a quick look at it today, it was locked up, and I will have to make a return trip to drive it and fully look it over.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:33 PM
carguy94
Senior User
i live on the rust belt so trucks i service probably are not as good as condition as wear you are no idea how the winters wear you are treat cars and trucks but along the belt way in the winter time and back roads kill the under side of these trucks.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:36 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
We get quite a bit of salt spread down here in the winter, and different areas are different as well, but I am guessing this vehicle may have been purchased at auction, so I really have no way of knowing where it came from yet.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:09 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Since its a 2000, with the 5.4, how likely am I to run into problems with the motor? I heard of spark plug problems, but I didn't know if that applied to all years, or certain years or engine sizes. Thank you.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:01 PM
lv2race
Laughing Gas
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Take a code reader with you, ask the seller if he doesn't mind you plugging in. Check and verify all the door locks work as the acuators may need attention (there is a fix on this site), windows go up and down, cruise control works, odometer and overhead console stays lit (there is a fix on this site for that too), shifts fine, noise at start up, noise when warm. The plastic intakes are crap so check for leaks around the intake gaskets, use a flashlight and check for liquid under the intake on top of the motor. Obviously check all fluids and levels.

Hope it works out for you!

Old 07-08-2014, 09:33 PM
carguy94
Senior User
the spark plugs on these year engine are not a problem just 02 and up you run into trouble. i have seen 230,000 miles or more on a 98 5.4 along with both exhaust manifolds all brake lines rotors replaced . other than maintenance and tune up these engines had trouble with oil pan and dipstick design but it was corrected. that one thing these engine will not take is oil starvation they will blow faster than you can think if they have been run low on oil.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:14 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Thank you guys!! I appreciate the information! You have been very helpful! We have an appointment to check it out and test drive it on Friday, wish us luck!

Old 07-09-2014, 07:55 AM
carguy94
Senior User
great to hear thank for involving us best of luck to you.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:59 AM
2trux
Mountain Pass
The other thing to check is if it has a tow package. The 3.55 axle would make me think it doesn't. This may or may not be an issue depending what you are towing.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:48 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Make sure the rear window wiper works. Known to get gunked up and quit working. Check the radiator core supports. Check operation of E-brake. Check the coolant reservoir for obviously new coolant and/or an oily sheen if it's contaminated looking. Inspect trailing arms. Look at rear brakes and see if the axle seals are leaking.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:48 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Thank you very much guys! You have been really helpful!

Quick Reply: Advice please