Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Computer Chips & Tuners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Computer Chips & Tuners SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-29-2014, 01:28 AM
Wyle E Coyote Wyle E Coyote is offline
New User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nampa, Idaho
Posts: 14
Wyle E Coyote is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have I been "chipped"?

I'm kind of a noob in the area of chip tuning. And I have a couple of questions about it. Our '06 Expo is the first Triton powered anything I've ever owned. It has the factory tow package, and I believe the previous owner used it to haul a boat around a lot. Anyway, this truck seems to me to have way too touchy throttle response, especially for the first half of its travel. Which makes it harder for me to drive smoothly in it. (A trick I learned when my DD was a 440 powered pickup, and I got a regular 12 mpg in the city with it. ) Anyway, I'm wondering if there isn't a performance chip in it, and if so, where to I go to find it? I'm interested in getting a power programmer for it, so that I can tweak the settings for better fuel mileage, mainly. Because it should do better than it does. But if the stock chip is gone, I suppose I'd have to replace that first, eh?

The other thing I'm interested in is, to stay on top of things like diagnostics. I want to be as far ahead of the curve as I can on pending issues, and I know the diagnostics can do that. I want to establish in my head what I have and what the baseline should be, before I go and make a plan to mod a bunch of stuff.

Thanks all!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-30-2014, 06:30 AM
tex25025's Avatar
tex25025 tex25025 is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Plano TX and Brentwood TN
Posts: 10,573
tex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyle E Coyote View Post
I'm kind of a noob in the area of chip tuning. And I have a couple of questions about it. Our '06 Expo is the first Triton powered anything I've ever owned. It has the factory tow package, and I believe the previous owner used it to haul a boat around a lot. Anyway, this truck seems to me to have way too touchy throttle response, especially for the first half of its travel. Which makes it harder for me to drive smoothly in it. (A trick I learned when my DD was a 440 powered pickup, and I got a regular 12 mpg in the city with it. ) Anyway, I'm wondering if there isn't a performance chip in it, and if so, where to I go to find it? I'm interested in getting a power programmer for it, so that I can tweak the settings for better fuel mileage, mainly. Because it should do better than it does. But if the stock chip is gone, I suppose I'd have to replace that first, eh?
I wouldn't buy a tuner with MPG as the main reason. It will take a long time to recoup the initial cost of the tuner, before you started realizing any true savings. Especially when you see the "claims" of improved MPG for gassers using tuners. Definitely not huge claims.

Given how you used to drive the 440, I would suggest that your biggest concern is going to be how you drive it. That has the best chance of netting you the best (cheapest) type of gains.

However, if you are concerned that this vehicle has been tuned, then take it to ford and have them reflash it for you. Around here, that's $100. If you didn't get a device when you bought the truck, that's going to be the only way to get rid of it.

If it's a module, pop the hood and see if anything is sitting on top of something that is out of place (I doubt this was used, but it is possible). If a module is there, should just be able to unplug it to take it out of the loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyle E Coyote View Post
The other thing I'm interested in is, to stay on top of things like diagnostics. I want to be as far ahead of the curve as I can on pending issues, and I know the diagnostics can do that. I want to establish in my head what I have and what the baseline should be, before I go and make a plan to mod a bunch of stuff.

Thanks all!!!
Gauges. That will give you the best real time readout of what is going on. Either a digital gauge that plugs into the OBD-II port (which would also give you datalogging capabilities on some of them) or you can do electric gauges to mount on the A pillar (as well as other places). The stock gauges, really don't give you accurate range of displays when it comes to certain readings (if they even have a gauge on there in the first place).
__________________
2014 6.7 PSD King Ranch F350 SRW
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-30-2014, 07:21 AM
tjcprop's Avatar
tjcprop tjcprop is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 634
tjcprop has a very good reputation on FTE.tjcprop has a very good reputation on FTE.tjcprop has a very good reputation on FTE.
Flashing might not be enough if tuned. The module might require replacing first.
__________________
2014 F250, 6.2L, 4.30, Zone 6inch radius arm lift, 37x12.5 18 Pro Comp Xtreme MT2, Worx rims, NFab running boards, fender flares, Boss Standard Duty
2005 F150 4.6L 4.88 9.75diff, Edge programmer, 6inch Pro Comp lift, 3inch body with gap guards, Kelly TSR 35x12.5 17
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-30-2014, 07:26 AM
tex25025's Avatar
tex25025 tex25025 is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Plano TX and Brentwood TN
Posts: 10,573
tex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcprop View Post
Flashing might not be enough if tuned. The module might require replacing first.

If it's tuned, flashing will get rid of the old tune on there. Modules do not truly tune. The intercept, modify and send the modified signal on, they don't tune.

If, however, the previous owner stacked a tuner on top of a in line module, then I would be worried about other things.

If there is a chip (which is old technology and I doubt that it would be there on this rig, but it is possible), then that would need to be replaced.
__________________
2014 6.7 PSD King Ranch F350 SRW
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-30-2014, 07:36 AM
tjcprop's Avatar
tjcprop tjcprop is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 634
tjcprop has a very good reputation on FTE.tjcprop has a very good reputation on FTE.tjcprop has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex25025 View Post
If it's tuned, flashing will get rid of the old tune on there. Modules do not truly tune. The intercept, modify and send the modified signal on, they don't tune.

If, however, the previous owner stacked a tuner on top of a in line module, then I would be worried about other things.

If there is a chip (which is old technology and I doubt that it would be there on this rig, but it is possible), then that would need to be replaced.
Unplugging my Edge Evolution and flashing was not enough for my 150. The module had to be replaced to get truck make to factory. Reason I mentioned this in the earlier reply.
__________________
2014 F250, 6.2L, 4.30, Zone 6inch radius arm lift, 37x12.5 18 Pro Comp Xtreme MT2, Worx rims, NFab running boards, fender flares, Boss Standard Duty
2005 F150 4.6L 4.88 9.75diff, Edge programmer, 6inch Pro Comp lift, 3inch body with gap guards, Kelly TSR 35x12.5 17
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-30-2014, 07:39 AM
tex25025's Avatar
tex25025 tex25025 is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Plano TX and Brentwood TN
Posts: 10,573
tex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcprop View Post
Unplugging my Edge Evolution and flashing was not enough for my 150. The module had to be replaced to get truck make to factory. Reason I mentioned this in the earlier reply.
Ahh, you are talking about a different module.

There must have been something else going on that was specific in your instance.

Numerous posts (especially in the diesel engine forums) about how the dealership reflashed their truck for an update and that reverted them back to stock and their tuners were locked out for loading any tunes to their truck, because it still had their truck's former stock tune in there.
__________________
2014 6.7 PSD King Ranch F350 SRW
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:39 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Computer Chips & Tuners

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just installed! Stage 1 injectors and TS chip! Royson12 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 63 Yesterday 10:53 PM
New sticks and chip, what order? Jesser02EX 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 11 05-07-2014 05:22 AM
Transmission problems....Sooo lost Green-Monster 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 19 04-28-2014 08:52 PM
Curious??? HAMMERDOWN103 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 16 03-14-2014 12:01 PM
01 expedition no start Danny01Expo Expedition & Navigator 37 10-26-2013 05:51 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup