1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

wiring a starters on a 48 f1

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 03:21 PM
oldford54
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring a starters on a 48 f1

Okay I need help with the starting system here is what I have done I have installed all new wire harness and it is a 6 volt so my problem is that it is positive ground and I can not get the cab to ground without having a short I have ran cables from motor to frame and battery to frame and from battery to motor and I still have a problem my volt meter show the cab is 6 volt I also have installed new body mounts and motor mounts and transmission mount .. now keep In mind I can start the truck by taking a jumper wire and grounding the starter button housing . The starter button has one wire on it and it goes to the S on the solenoid if any one has seen this please let me know

Old 06-25-2014, 03:49 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by oldford54
Okay I need help with the starting system here is what I have done I have installed all new wire harness and it is a 6 volt so my problem is that it is positive ground and I can not get the cab to ground without having a short I have ran cables from motor to frame and battery to frame and from battery to motor and I still have a problem my volt meter show the cab is 6 volt I also have installed new body mounts and motor mounts and transmission mount .. now keep In mind I can start the truck by taking a jumper wire and grounding the starter button housing . The starter button has one wire on it and it goes to the S on the solenoid if any one has seen this please let me know
Yea, that button should ground to the dash. When I got Edith the button would not ground very good, so I replaced it with a two wire button and just ran a ground wire to the wall behind the kick panel.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:04 PM
oldford54
New User
Ok that's what I thought also I was just wanted to use the oem part . Is there a 2 pin button that looks and fits in the same hole ?? If yes where can I get it ? PS thank you for your help

Old 06-25-2014, 08:44 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok that's what I thought also I was just wanted to use the oem part . Is there a 2 pin button that looks and fits in the same hole ?? If yes where can I get it ? PS thank you for your help
Well the one I got was not exactly the same, but it does fit the hole. I think I got it at NAPA, I think they had others too.

Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2014, 08:53 PM
blue_cloud
Junior User
corrected : It should be a NAPA Echlin part # STB1 momentary starter button

and an STB10 should work also

Jeff

Old 06-25-2014, 09:09 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The body needs to be grounded as well. I believe my 52 is grounded from battery to cab, from cab to frame, engine to frame.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:30 AM
oldford54
New User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
The body needs to be grounded as well. I believe my 52 is grounded from battery to cab, from cab to frame, engine to frame.
You mean positive ground and it is . It show 6 volt and the frame and the motor also shows 6 volts .. thats the problem lt needs a ground to ground the starter button housing because it has one wire coming from the starter solenoid to starter button ( this thing is about to make me pull my hair out ) lol thank you for your help

Old 06-27-2014, 10:02 AM
festus555
New User
In your first post you said the starter button wire is on the S terminal, these trucks use a solenoid with only one small terminal I'm wondering if you're using later model solenoid? engine?

For the original V8 system, looking at the solenoid as mounted on firewall the negative post on battery connects to the right large terminal on solenoid, left side terminal goes to starter. Positive post on battery connects to engine, frame etc.

One side of the coil inside the solenoid receives power (neg) from the battery post (wired internally) the circuit is completed when you push the starter button which is positive (ground).

Last edited by festus555; 06-27-2014 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-27-2014, 11:53 AM
oldford54
New User
Yes the starter solenoid only has a 3 wire terminal and I have it wired just like you said but that doesn't explain why the cab is shown 6 volt

Old 06-27-2014, 12:59 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
There is some evidence that is how the factory did it, but it's wrong. The only load that needs big (#0) cables is the starter, so the battery ground cable needs to go to the engine or trans, on a substantial bolt. From there you can run a #10 to the cab and a #12 to the frame for lights and accessories.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:01 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
You mean positive ground and it is . It show 6 volt and the frame and the motor also shows 6 volts .. thats the problem lt needs a ground to ground the starter button housing because it has one wire coming from the starter solenoid to starter button ( this thing is about to make me pull my hair out ) lol thank you for your help
How are you reading 6v, with one voltmeter clipped to the (+) terminal on the battery? If the cab and engine are showing 6v relative to the battery (+) terminal, you have a dead short somewhere.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:13 AM
oldford54
New User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
How are you reading 6v, with one voltmeter clipped to the (+) terminal on the battery? If the cab and engine are showing 6v relative to the battery (+) terminal, you have a dead short somewhere.
Iam getting 6 volt at the cab by touching the cab and the negative on the battery and yes it looks like I have a short but where on a 6 volt system the positive from battery to engine and negative to starter solenoid I have replaced all new wire harness from LMC it is so simple and that's why it is kicking my butt ... thank you and everyone else who has help me this forum has the best group of people who care and go out of their way to help .

Old 06-28-2014, 12:59 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Iam getting 6 volt at the cab by touching the cab and the negative on the battery and yes it looks like I have a short but where on a 6 volt system the positive from battery to engine and negative to starter solenoid I have replaced all new wire harness from LMC it is so simple and that's why it is kicking my butt ... thank you and everyone else who has help me this forum has the best group of people who care and go out of their way to help .
Well if your cab is grounded, then you would read 6 volts between the cab and the negative battery terminal. Because the positive grounded cab would complete the circuit. That's not a short, that's how it's supposed to work.

And when I removed my working starter button from the dash to rewire it, it stopped working when I put it back in the dash. I had to "clean" the hole and sides of the switch to get good contact for the ground needed to operate the starter relay.