Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E4OD Tranny grinding lost drive... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 08:39 PM
Island'r
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Head
Did you try testing it by canceling O/D yet?
I have not.

I got her moving enough last night to get her closer to my shop, but it didn't feel "right" and I don't really want to bugger too much with it and brake something even more.

If the sprag clutch you mentioned has failed, has it likely grenaded itself, or can they just wear out??!

I know the basics of how auto trannys work, but they mystify me for the most part as I have never dug too deeply into one...

Old 06-26-2014, 08:51 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They usually grenade.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:39 AM
Island'r
Tuned
Originally Posted by danr1
Hard to say natrually but +1, I'd check out the T case before sending it to any trans shop.

Its possible....and very likely they'd go right for trans rebuild assume its the problem without looking into it further do so and put it back in the truck only to find it suffers same condition.

Then call you with the bad news "trans is fine now but we found when the trans went it took the T case with it so you need it rebuilt too" (or words to that effect) then charge you for a t case on top of the trans hand you a huge bill for both of them sending you on your way.
This appears to be EXACTLY the case. Called them yesterday to see where they were at with it. Said he went to road test it and it was stuck in 4L. They pulled the transfer case and found a "broken fork". He also said it was lucky they cracked it open because the pick up for the pump had broken off and it was only getting oil that was being sloshed around.

Supposed to be ready today... should be expensive.

I find it odd it was in 4L when it was in 2HI when I sent it to them. Unless they bumped it pulling it out, or they tried shifting it like I did...

Old 07-04-2014, 08:02 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
used bw 1356 t-cases are a dime a dozen and long lasting.for $50-$100 you can pick up a used one,replace it in about 10-20 mins and have it outlast the truck.......least this has always been my experience.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:41 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Island'r
This appears to be EXACTLY the case. Called them yesterday to see where they were at with it. Said he went to road test it and it was stuck in 4L. They pulled the transfer case and found a "broken fork". He also said it was lucky they cracked it open because the pick up for the pump had broken off and it was only getting oil that was being sloshed around.

Supposed to be ready today... should be expensive.

I find it odd it was in 4L when it was in 2HI when I sent it to them. Unless they bumped it pulling it out, or they tried shifting it like I did...
Yea no lube to the T/C just might cause a condition where it wouldn't move when "hot" but then would move after it cooled down, must admit didn't consider that point previous post.

+1 on a good used T/C, even if split the case a minute first to correct the known retainer pump issue, would have been a whole lot cheaper than a "rebuild" (by a shop) and with the "pump fix" in place a minute would likely outlast the truck.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:10 AM
Island'r
Tuned
Well, the tranny was rebuilt in July, and now its doing the exact same thing. Was slipping in and out of drive on the way home last night (felt like It was in neutral) and made a horrible grinding when put in Park position.

Started with a "clunk" when I pulled up to stop at a light. It would catch and then shifts perfectly, but then as soon as you slow down, it down shifts it looses drive. When it does catch drive again it does so very harshly.

Any idea as to where to look? I called the tranny show and he was perplexed, said to bring it in as its under warranty.

I'm thinking not so much a tranny issue as something else. I dont wanna take it to them and end up with another huge bill and still the same issue.

What about the PCM? Could failed capacitors cause this issue? Sensors to check?!?

At the same time, after the rebuild it was perfect so why 6 months later would it rear its ugly head again.

Also; O/D on/off made no difference, and manually selecting gears did nothing. (except grind when going to park) Engine speed surges when selecting drive /reverse.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:35 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
(except grind when going to park)
That tells me your problem is in the transfer case, not the transmission.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:07 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like your transfer case grenaded. Crack it open and I bet you'll find a broken oil pump retainer and one of your shift forks destroyed. Happened to my electric shift case so I went and got a manual shift one from the yard, rebuilt it, and bolted it in.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:14 PM
Island'r
Tuned
Originally Posted by dixie460
Sounds like your transfer case grenaded. Crack it open and I bet you'll find a broken oil pump retainer and one of your shift forks destroyed. Happened to my electric shift case so I went and got a manual shift one from the yard, rebuilt it, and bolted it in.

Both of those issues were corrected in July. They cracked the transfer case open to find the shift fork broken, and the oil pump non functioning... Would be very odd if the same had happened again only 6 months later

Old 12-19-2014, 07:19 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Both of those issues were corrected in July. They cracked the transfer case open to find the shift fork broken, and the oil pump non functioning... Would be very odd if the same had happened again only 6 months later
Maybe I missed it but you never said what was done to the transfer case after they found the pump and fork broken. What exactly was wrong with the oil pump? Did they replace the oil pump retainer and call it good? Because the problem ain't the retainer itself, it's the case material wearing down where the retainer sits. This leaves the retainer free to break loose, spin around, and demolish the nearby shift fork. There is a modification you should do whenever you have one of these 1356 cases opened up, which increases the contact area between the case and the pump retainer.

If they put in a used case then it probably did blow up. Not odd at all to me, because I bought my truck with a used t-case and when it grenaded it caused the exact same symptoms your truck has now.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:33 PM
Island'r
Tuned
I'm not sure what they did with the pump, I cant remember... But they replaced the shift fork that broke.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:44 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
If they didn't mod the pump retainer, it probably failed about 10 days after the repair and just now wore thru your new fork. Sorry, man.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:26 PM
Island'r
Tuned
Originally Posted by eakermeld
If they didn't mod the pump retainer, it probably failed about 10 days after the repair and just now wore thru your new fork. Sorry, man.
Theyre a reputable shop and warranty their work so hopefully they cover most of it. What does this "mod" entail?

Old 12-20-2014, 04:56 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Theyre a reputable shop and warranty their work so hopefully they cover most of it. What does this "mod" entail?
Post 13 in this thread has a pic of it. There are probably other threads that have more complete descriptions of it. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ive-train.html

Old 12-20-2014, 07:04 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru

Just in case someone wants to see.

Quick Reply: E4OD Tranny grinding lost drive... HELP!