6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Opinion on truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 02:02 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fordboy2
I had a oasis run the only thing ever done under warranty was a hpop and fitting at 82000 miles. Also pulled trans and replaced rear cover at this time. Don't know what that's about. It was brought in for no or hard start when warm. The fitting I am guessing was the Stc fitting.
Yep, it sounds like the STC broke and cracked the rear cover.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:45 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok update on history I called everyone listed in the car fax and they told me everything they repaired on it. The truck had head gaskets done on it at 206k in 2011. 5 injectors at 234k in July 2012 and 2 more in April of 2013. Then in June of 2013 at 253k the headgaskets were replaced again and I assume that's when they dis the egr delete. Not a repair shows on the car fax since then. Does all this scream RUN!

Old 06-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Even thou it has high mileage and has a few issues it doesn't mean run,a good deal is a good deal and if you can get it for 5-6 K,I would consider it a good deal.From what you have found out it sounds like it was taken care of,now you have to get us numbers so we can look into the hot start issue.Don't mind Monty, he's just pissed cause he made a stupid mistake and it cost him a bunch of money,so he bashes 6.0's every chance he gets

Old 06-23-2014, 05:36 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Per4mance
Even thou it has high mileage and has a few issues it doesn't mean run,a good deal is a good deal and if you can get it for 5-6 K,I would consider it a good deal.From what you have found out it sounds like it was taken care of,now you have to get us numbers so we can look into the hot start issue.Don't mind Monty, he's just pissed cause he made a stupid mistake and it cost him a bunch of money,so he bashes 6.0's every chance he gets
I'd be curious to know if OEM gaskets were used the first time around. Also, were the heads flat or machined? Another, did the gaskets actually let go the second time? It could have been a mis diagnosis that the previous owner ate.

If the guy doesn't mind you running some tests on it, rig up a gauge on the degas bottle to check how much pressure the coolant system is building.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:43 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 80 Posts
With the STC being replaced, a guess on the HPO leak would be the stand pipes/dummy plugs, or possibly the cup seals in the oil rails. I think there's a good chance it has now ran for 21k miles with the green coolant so a chemical flush and maybe even an oil cooler is in it's future. I would also point out the green coolant provides a little insight into the (lack of) 6.0 knowledge of the mechanic, making the last head gasket replacement a little suspect. Several injectors might indicate the fuel pressure is low (blue spring?) or a FICM or battery/charging issue or both. I don't know about running away-but going in with your eyes open would be wise as some of these issues can be pricy to repair. Particularly the head gaskets.

I'm not sure if your familiar with Monty (posted above^) but he provides the function of resident troll and antagonist, specializing in talking bad about 6.0's to posters who are looking to buy, and mind numbing repetition. I wouldn't put too much stock in his assessment of this truck requiring a engine replacement. As I'm sure you know, it's entirely possible the engine could go another 100k or more, or crap out next week. Just like any used vehicle.

Finally, the trend for a replacement/rebuild just based on mileage and wear seems to often be the lifters. It's not practical to tear it down to inspect them but if significant wear or failure has already happened it's possible to hear one squeak just as the engine comes to a stop on shut-down. It may not do it every time based on where -in it's rotation- the engine stops. Just one more thing to check.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:06 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Ok I haven't been able to figure out how to run the livewire to get those readings yet. I did have the ford diesel mechanic look at it and he's very confident the hard start when warm is the stand pipes.(for what it's worth) he didn't like the K & fipk or the livewire but I chalked that up to his ford mechanic back ground. I don't totally disagree on the fipk I think if I buy it I will buy a stock air cleaner setup. I was thinking I might try 6 but I don't know if I can get them to come down any more. He also sid he thinks the bed plates might be leaking.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:25 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
I'm unsure some yet. I don't know if I can get him to move much off of 8k but I am.going to try. Thank it's too many miles or will the 6.0 run a half million like the 7.3.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:26 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm unsure some yet. I don't know if I can get him to move much off of 8k but I am.going to try. Thank it's too many miles or will the 6.0 run a half million like the 7.3.
Maybe, arrange to take it to the local Ford truck dealer and pay to have it inspected? With the coolant concern and the potential you have the wrong head gaskets installed we can't via the web see to give you any real opinion. Nobody knows if the heads were ok/checked or not either.

Essentially, as was suggested earlier, it could blow head gasket next week or never, without knowing the quality of the repair or shop's experience
If the truck is awesome and you can handle a potential engine rebuild expense then maybe it's a deal.
Monitor: The ficm, fuel pressure spring kit, alternator, batteries. A complete fluid flush should be done too.

Don't skimp on maintenance or use somebody who 'thinks' they know the 6l.

Good luck.

Sent from my Sprint PC36100 using IB AutoGroup

Old 06-23-2014, 08:49 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
The invoice at 253k shows ford oem head and intake gaskets at 189 eachfor the head gaskets and i dont remember for sure on the intake. 2400 in labor. I dont know if the heads were checked for cracks etc. I would think a ford dealer would but thats an assumption.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:18 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The invoice at 253k shows ford oem head and intake gaskets at 189 eachfor the head gaskets and i dont remember for sure on the intake. 2400 in labor. I dont know if the heads were checked for cracks etc. I would think a ford dealer would but thats an assumption.
Well, an invoice from a ford dealer sounds better. They wouldn't have used gold coolant though...

Sent from my Sprint PC36100 using IB AutoGroup

Old 06-24-2014, 02:05 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
If I decide to buy this. Will the live wire monitor everything I should be monitoring or should I sell it and go a different route.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:26 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
These are the PIDs it will monitor

Ford 7.3L and 6.0L PID's

ACCEL PEDAL POSITION
AIR FLOW #/MIN
BAROMETRIC PRESSURE IN HG
BATTERY VOLTAGE
COMMANDED GEAR
COOLANT TEMP

ENGINE OIL TEMP F
INJECTION CONTROL PRESSURE
INJECTOR PULSE WIDTH
INTAKE AIR TEMP
LOAD
TURBO BOOST
MAP
RPM
TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH DUTY CYCLE
TRANS TEMP
VEHICLE SPEED
VGT DUTY CYCLE
FICM_IGNITION
FICM_LOGIC_POWER
FICM_MAIN_INTERNAL_INJECTOR_PWR

If it was mine, I'd keep it

Old 06-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
If I decide to buy this. Will the live wire monitor everything I should be monitoring or should I sell it and go a different route.
Originally Posted by jswartz84
These are the PIDs it will monitor

Ford 7.3L and 6.0L PID's

ACCEL PEDAL POSITION
AIR FLOW #/MIN
BAROMETRIC PRESSURE IN HG
BATTERY VOLTAGE
COMMANDED GEAR
COOLANT TEMP

ENGINE OIL TEMP F
INJECTION CONTROL PRESSURE
INJECTOR PULSE WIDTH
INTAKE AIR TEMP
LOAD
TURBO BOOST
MAP
RPM
TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH DUTY CYCLE
TRANS TEMP
VEHICLE SPEED
VGT DUTY CYCLE
FICM_IGNITION
FICM_LOGIC_POWER
FICM_MAIN_INTERNAL_INJECTOR_PWR

If it was mine, I'd keep it
I would also keep it.
Is the livewire a wireless unit or wired?

Sean

Old 06-24-2014, 02:44 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Wired. It plugs into the port under the dash and has a Ethernet style plug that goes in the bottom. Where it's mounted it's hard to leave it plugged in ll the time s the cord gets tangled in your feet. But I would just move it. Maybe see if there is. Windshield mount for it or something.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:57 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
It should have came with a windshield mount.

Quick Reply: Opinion on truck