Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Opinion on truck (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1321405-opinion-on-truck.html)

fordboy2 06-22-2014 09:08 AM

Opinion on truck

Looking at a 2005 f250 6.0 with 274k. I can buy it for 8k OTD it's a crew xlt. The truck has a sinister egr delete SCT livewire 4 inch turbo back exhaust with cat but no muffler. It's a southern truck which adds value up here in michigan in the rust belt where everything 5 years old is rusted already. The truck runs and drives good, it does have extended crank times when warm I am assuming a high pressure oil system leak. Possibly oring or STC fitting, but with this many miles I would think it would have the upgraded fitting already. What you guys think sound decent or should I run and never look back? I have been driving it the last couple days put about 200 miles on it. The guy who traded it in drove it 7 hours up here to trade it.

Jmoen7 06-22-2014 10:01 AM

How long of an extended crank time? That is a fairly cheap price i'd say, even with mileage. Didn't notice anything else wrong with it in those 200 miles driven? Even with a HPO system leak that's a cheap price if everything else checks out like the headgaskets, studded with the tune? Ficm voltages etc

fordboy2 06-22-2014 11:19 AM

Crank time 30-60 seconds I would say sometimes. Other times a couple cycles of the key. Fires right off cold. What are the advantages of the livewire? Meaning is there any monitoring functions or anything in it. Obviously it has a tune.

Jmoen7 06-22-2014 11:46 AM

Livewire can be used as digital gauges also, aswell as a tune.

So it's a hot-no-start situation then? Fires fine cold, but not warmed up?

That indicates the big HPO leak then. Who knows what was done by the previous owner, you would have to either have your questions answered or take it apart and see yourself.

Haven't ventured into the HPO system before, just know what i read, there's lots of parts to it. STC fitting, pump, rails and whatever else. Could be simple

fordboy2 06-22-2014 12:03 PM

Yes hard start warm. I have some experience with this when I had my 2006 back when it was new. It cranks and kinda acts like it repriimes the system and fires off. I am thinking either a o ring on the standpipes(I think this is why they are called) or o ring in the oil rail. Maybe the stc fitting but I think ford updated this part and would believe with 273k it would have been updated now.

Per4mance 06-22-2014 12:57 PM

Def Hpo leak, I'd offer him 6 k and tell him that shop said it need 1, 5, to 2k to fix......if it's clean you can always go up

fordboy2 06-22-2014 03:21 PM

I was just looking at a Couple things under the hood and noticed it has green coolant in it. How bad is this? Think someone just put the wrong coolant in it? It's a newer lookingdegas bottle I assume from when they deleted the egr. What's the best way to get a oasis for it?

fordboy2 06-22-2014 05:52 PM

Am I doing any damage to anything driving/starting it like this? I like the truck just a little scared of it especially since I had a 2006 new that I had a lot of trouble with. But it was my favorite truck and that's saying a lot when I think at last count I had around 70 vehicles.

Yahiko 06-22-2014 08:25 PM

The extended crank times may be hard on the batteries and charging system.
That in turn will be hard on the FICM. Watch the voltage for the FICM and main power.
Also can you see the ICP and IPR info?

All that aside I also say stand pipes and dummy plugs first
Then STC maybe.

Sean https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=149188

jswartz84 06-22-2014 09:41 PM

Green coolant is very bad. I've heard the additive package will make Ford Gold coolant green, but unless I put it in myself I wouldn't trust them.

In no way does this mean you shouldn't consider the truck. It just means you should hop right into a thorough coolant system flush. To do it right, plan for a whole day on your first time.

fordboy2 06-22-2014 09:53 PM

Ok I assumed the long crank was hard on batteries and starter. Was not sure about the ficm. Probably not hurting anything once its running? most of my starts are cold and it fires right off. Especially the next few days. Wont get a chance to tear I to it or take it to my mechanic for a week or so if I decide to completethe deal. It was my plan to flush the cooling system and change the differentials and t case along with the trans fluid if I buy it since with this many miles you have no idea when it may have been done last.

jswartz84 06-22-2014 11:06 PM

Do you have a Scangauge2 or anyway to monitor it or give it a health check?

fordboy2 06-23-2014 05:09 AM

No I was trying to look around and see how much one costs. All I have is the livewire that's in it with no manual. So I don't know if that has any use or not. I am going to try and see if I can get a hold of a guy I know who works on these at home now. He is/was ford diesel tech until a few years back and switched to working in a different field but was recently laid off so.he is back to wrenching.

jswartz84 06-23-2014 08:38 AM

The livewire will monitor the same as the Scangauge2. Display the ICP and HPOP when its giving a long crank an that will let you know if it a HPO problem.

fordboy2 06-23-2014 09:52 AM

I had a oasis run the only thing ever done under warranty was a hpop and fitting at 82000 miles. Also pulled trans and replaced rear cover at this time. Don't know what that's about. It was brought in for no or hard start when warm. The fitting I am guessing was the Stc fitting.