Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Total Tugging Tonnage

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 10:58 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Total Tugging Tonnage

Skipping over the pull-behinds, tongued trailers, conventional trailers, or what ever you want to call them - I'm shooting for information on the 5'ers. The weights have been brought up in many separate threads... more as a byproduct of towing conversations. This thread is to focus solely on the fuzzy logic of planet-pulling... and the ramifications of doing so.

A post by CGMKCM has a link to a generic towing guide, which recommends not exceeding 80% of towing capacity. While this might be a good rule for a 1/2-ton truck, or maybe the older 3/4 or 1-ton trucks... I don't think I'm creating consternation or controversy by saying the Superduty (and other "HD" trucks) changed the rules. I would have no compunction to tow the rated limit with Stinky... even without stabilizing mods (but I'll do the mods for added comfort and safety anyway).

I've looked at the towing guides for our trucks and motor, and let's just say the average fifth-wheel max weight on our trucks is about 13,500 pounds. This is derived by taking the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of 20,000 lbs, then the tow weight is what's left after we subtract the weight of the truck and everything in/on it (including fuel, passengers, mods, cargo, and whatever we ate for breakfast). A 4X2 single-cab F250 has the highest tow rating, with the F350 4X4 DRW having the lowest - because of the vehicle weight.

I know a lot of you have blown way past this Republican (conservative) GCWR... blithely rolling along with the Politometer needle bending over the Democrat peg. I've heard tell of as much as 22K pounds (I'm sure a bigger-fish story will ensue) behind one of our rigs - with the trailer alone surpassing our 20K combined vehicle limit.

1. Are there any horror stories of liability issues from this practice?
2. Has there been any vehicle damage from just towing heavy - excluding accidents?
3. Is there a general consensus of how much is too much?
4. Are there certain jurisdictions (States, counties, or the like) that frown on this?
5. Has anybody had any issues with law enforcement?
6. What are the caveats to pulling a passel of pounds with a Powerstroke (farm permit, special licensing, safety inspections, speed limitations, etc....) - or is it just play and pray?

Old 06-21-2014, 11:06 AM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rich, that is a good question. As always, you are trying to stir the pot and make us morons think.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think thou stir the pot to much!! I believe with some research and a lot of common sense we should know what we and our rigs are capable of before we hook up ! But as they say you can never know to much!

Smokie

Old 06-21-2014, 11:56 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokiesman
...I believe with some research and a lot of common sense we should know what we and our rigs are capable of before we hook up !
Research and common sense tells me "follow the instructions", but I'm curious about what's going on outside the box. I see rather cavalier (or is it "What me worry?") attitudes toward the door sticker, and it's not isolated cases.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tugly
Research and common sense tells me "follow the instructions", but I'm curious about what's going on outside the box. I see rather cavalier (or is it "What me worry?") attitudes toward the door sticker, and it's not isolated cases.
I agree and that's how a lot of folks get in over there heads!!

Smokie

Old 06-21-2014, 12:52 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
1. Are there any horror stories of liability issues from this practice? so far no.
2. Has there been any vehicle damage from just towing heavy - excluding accidents? not that I'm aware of.
3. Is there a general consensus of how much is too much? You'll know...If you have to keep both hands on the wheel with a death grip & you find yourself yelling "SHUT UP, I'M TRYING TO CONCENTRATE" every time your wife asks a question It might be too much.
4. Are there certain jurisdictions (States, counties, or the like) that frown on this? I haven't been bothered, but I'm sure some small town cops may give you some grief if they're bored.
5. Has anybody had any issues with law enforcement? Not yet.
6. What are the caveats to pulling a passel of pounds with a Powerstroke (farm permit, special licensing, safety inspections, speed limitations, etc....) - or is it just play and pray?
I pull and pray for the most part, but since I have a class A CDL I can't play too stupid with the law. I am expected to know what I'm doing.

Here are a couple sites that cover state by state towing laws:

Towing World Official Website

state rv towing laws - Bing

I have had no issues pulling 21,820 over 10,000 miles. Set the cruise and relax.
Now to be fair It's all been on flat ground and I do have some mods.
My truck scales right at 7500lbs, The camper claims to be 11,300 empty, so I have around 3000lbs of junk on board. (washer/dryer, half tank of fresh water, full pantry, full storage, etc)
On paper my camper adds 3360 lbs to my truck, so I did up my registration to 10,999 to cover my a$$. I have heard of cops just checking the trucks registered weight & not the gross. In my mind It shows the cops that you know what you're doing & not some clueless knucklehead.
My camper has some really good brakes. I have no problems stopping quick, I just prefer not to knock everything over in the camper, so I tend to tip toe in traffic & leave plenty of stopping room.

Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2014, 12:56 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
I don't pull a 5th wheel; however, it appears as though every neighbor down the street does and while some of them must surely be over the "recommended" limit, I would say it’s probably not an issue until it is an issue. In other words, if you are pulling way above the recommended weight and you happen to become involved in an accident, you might have an issue. While I am sure our trucks can pull more than what is documented, making insurance claims and getting paid may rest on the rig being in "compliance" with stated max weight ratios. Hopefully the accident does not result in an injury or death as even if the accident is not your fault initially, you may be held liable for operating outside of max weight guidelines.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Franko72
1. Are there any horror stories of liability issues from this practice? so far no.
2. Has there been any vehicle damage from just towing heavy - excluding accidents? not that I'm aware of.
3. Is there a general consensus of how much is too much? You'll know...If you have to keep both hands on the wheel with a death grip & you find yourself yelling "shut up I'm trying to concentrate" every time your wife asks a question It might be too much.
4. Are there certain jurisdictions (States, counties, or the like) that frown on this? I haven't been bothered, but I'm sure some small town cops may give you some grief if they're bored.
5. Has anybody had any issues with law enforcement? Not yet.
I pull and pray for the most part, but since I have a class A CDL I can't play too stupid with the law. I am expected to know what I'm doing.

Here are a couple sites that cover state by state towing laws:

Towing World Official Website

state rv towing laws - Bing

I have had no issues pulling 21,820 over 10,000 miles. Set the cruise and relax.
Now to be fair It's all been on flat ground and I do have some mods.
My truck scales right at 7500lbs, The camper claims to be 11,300 empty, so I have around 3000lbs of junk on board. (washer/dryer, half tank of fresh water, full pantry, full storage, etc)
My camper has some really good brakes. I have no problems stopping quick, I just prefer not to knock everything over in the camper, so I tend to tip toe in traffic & leave plenty of stopping room.

Franko ! I TOTALLY agree on #3 !!!

Smokie

Old 06-21-2014, 01:04 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
with a "C" license, wont he need a weight endorsement?

Old 06-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Franko! If I wanted to scale my rig say on the way to FL, where would be a good place and what do they generally charge?

Smokie

Old 06-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Franko! If I wanted to scale my rig say on the way to FL, where would be a good place and what do they generally charge?

Smokie
Any truck stop that has a "Cat" scale Smokie. Most of the big name truck stops have em. It was $9.50 the last time I scaled.

I just found another scale ticket where I grossed 22,450. I guess I had a few cheeseburgers on that trip.

Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2014, 02:07 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Any truck stop that has a "Cat" scale Smokie. Most of the big name truck stops have em. It was $9.50 the last time I scaled.

I just found another scale ticket where I grossed 22,450. I guess I had a few cheeseburgers on that trip.
Do they just weigh the whole kitin kaboodle ?

Smokie

Old 06-21-2014, 02:17 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Do they just weigh the whole kitin kaboodle ?

Smokie
Yep, it's a segmented platform scale. put each set of axles on a separate plate & push the button. Tell the girl on the speaker that it's a private RV and she'll weigh you. You get your ticket at the fuel counter.

If you look at my ticket above^^ it gives you axle weights

Old 06-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
This is the proper way.

This is the wrong way.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
This is the proper way.

This is the wrong way.

Hey I love it!!! Think I will look for a place along 75 this fall on my way down to snowbird land!!

Smokie

Quick Reply: Total Tugging Tonnage