Sponsored by: DP Tuner

straight piping

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:09 AM
oasisbenk
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
straight piping

99 F350. I want to cut out my cat and my muffler any thoughts? I am not concerned with emissions. I am looking for added performance.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Cat cutting might help... but the muffler has no added restriction. All you're going to do by removing the muffler is just make the truck louder... and I hated the sound of mine when I tried it.

Without looking at the performance of your truck with regular gauges or a scan gauge - like AutoEnginuity, Torque Pro, or Dash Command... you're coin-tossing with a keyboard and a cutting wheel.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:16 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
and unless your truck is a cali compliant truck, it should not have a cat.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:15 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
and unless your truck is a cali compliant truck, it should not have a cat.
For 7.3's, it's not being California prepped that determines if it has a catalytic converter or not.

California prepped f250's and F350's don't have glow plug relay's, they have glow plug control modules, but that doesn't mean they also have catalytic converters.

It used to be hypothesized that the rhyme and reason was the L99 and up 7.3 PSD's with automatic transmissions were catless, but the manual transmission trucks came with cats. However that was disproved a couple years ago.

Then recently (the past year?) someone posted information that gave proper rhyme to the reason Ford put cats on some (very few) L99 and up trucks, but not others (vast majority).

I just wish I had remembered to save the info he posted so I could post it here now.

Damn CRS syndrome......sigh.

Stewart

PS - The E99 trucks were different. I believe they all had cats.

Last edited by Stewart_H; 06-11-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:48 PM
mtdigger
Senior User
cut that garbage off, it's stainless steel so be prepared, and also be prepared to replace it because the "cool" straight pipe sound gets old really quick. Also. ...cut the original muffler in half and see if you agree with the post about it not being restrictive

Old 06-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Icicle
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
F

Mine does, and I am under the same impression.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:03 PM
429 f-100
Laughing Gas
ford sells a cat delete pipe that fits in between where the cat goes . I had replaced mine but have since gone with a whole new exhaust with no cat a mbrp 4in it is much better. I don't know where my pipe is I should have kept it I will look for it. I know I kept the cat just in case but we don't even have emissions in my county on anything!!

Old 06-11-2014, 05:05 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mtdigger
cut that garbage off, it's stainless steel so be prepared, and also be prepared to replace it because the "cool" straight pipe sound gets old really quick. Also. ...cut the original muffler in half and see if you agree with the post about it not being restrictive

Agreed, In addition be prepared for the weight of the stock mufflers. Them things are heavy and can break a finger. Did two mufflers. Cut the things apart (no cats here though)
Ended up putting pass through silencers on both trucks ( 3 1/2" ) after we got sick of the noise. The silencers brought the noise back down. With the silencers it is normal noise at normal driving. Under heavy load it is slightly louder than stock.

Got the pass thru silencers from summit racing. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-24216

Old 06-11-2014, 05:23 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
For 7.3's, it's not being California prepped that determines if it has a catalytic converter or not.

California prepped f250's and F350's don't have glow plug relay's, they have glow plug control modules, but that doesn't mean they also have catalytic converters.

It used to be hypothesized that the rhyme and reason was the L99 and up 7.3 PSD's with automatic transmissions were catless, but the manual transmission trucks came with cats. However that was disproved a couple years ago.

Then recently (the past year?) someone posted information that gave proper rhyme to the reason Ford put cats on some (very few) L99 and up trucks, but not others (vast majority).

I just wish I had remembered to save the info he posted so I could post it here now.

Damn CRS syndrome......sigh.

Stewart

being as you are from californication, i will take your word on this.

here on the east coast we don't see any of those silly pollution controls on our pre 04 diesels.

although i did once see a cali IDI, and a cali early 90's F3-Superduty-460 with cats come through the body shop to be straightened after fender benders. .

Old 06-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
My old 2002 F250 with the 7.3L PSD (now my daughters truck) is a California prepped truck and it came from the factory without a cat.

Just as aside, all 7.3L powered Excursions are the same as the California prepped trucks with 7.3's. None of the 7.3L PSD Excursions came with catalytic converters.

The gas Excursions and the 6.0L powered Excursions did, but not the 7.3's.

Stewart

Old 06-11-2014, 08:16 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,697 Likes on 1,136 Posts
my '97 picked up about 2 mpg with 4" strait pipe exiting in front of the tire. I also put the 6637 filter in at the same time.
it is loud and when towing it is really loud. I wear ear plugs when towing it is so loud.
my '99 I have no idea on mileage or performance as I put 4" strait pipe on it before I ever drove it but it is loud, not as loud as the '97 as the '99 is long bed with a service body so I don't hear it as much.
had I known how loud it would be I would have out a full flow resonator in the '97.
the load in my signature is 10 hours of wearing ear plugs to get home!

Old 06-11-2014, 10:53 PM
izzybird
Elder User

I cut the guts out of a muffler and put it on my fathers truck, actually has a nice sound to it and is still quiet in the cab. I have a straight pipe with a homemade thin wall 8"x24" echo chamber with a turn down before the axle that sounds mean when you lay into it, gotten many compliments. It'll make your ears bleed yanking a load for extended periods though. It sounds like a common rail killer, though it's not.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:45 PM
429 f-100
Laughing Gas
quoted from TJC TRANSPORT
[here on the east coast we don't see any of those silly pollution controls on our pre 04 diesels.

my truck is a early bird 6/98 ordered from va. built in Kentucky 6-sp manual it had a cat factory I know because I ordered the truck new and I still have it ! the truck not the cat. only the one glow plug relay nothing else

Old 06-12-2014, 08:37 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 429 f-100
[here on the east coast we don't see any of those silly pollution controls on our pre 04 diesels.
Ummmmm...

my truck is a early bird 6/98 ordered from va. built in Kentucky 6-sp manual it had a cat factory I know because I ordered the truck new and I still have it ! the truck not the cat. only the one glow plug relay nothing else
A catalytic converter is a "silly pollution control" device, so yes, you had them too even on the east coast.

2003 6.0L PSD's were all sold with pollution control devices too.

The east coast is not exempt from federal government requirements and standards.

Stewart

Old 06-13-2014, 06:06 AM
429 f-100
Laughing Gas
stewart, that post should read

originally posted by TJC transport.
here on the east coast...

Quick Reply: straight piping