towing issue w/4.6 engine, trade help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 10:49 PM
4.6EXP
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question towing issue w/4.6 engine, trade help needed

I recently bought a brand new expedition with the 4.6 motor and I am having problems towing my 4300 lb trailer. When I went to the dealer, I went throught all the specifications for towing before I even looked at them. My wife has wanted one for about two months and even test drove a couple of them. We want to buy a camper, after we got an expedition but our criteria for the camper purchase was based on the towing capacity of the vehicle. The owners manula has a max hauling capcity of 5k and the spec book from the dealer has 6050. We'll I went with a camper that weighs 4300 lbs, giving enough to haul before reching the max. I didn't want to wear the transmission out any time soon by going closer to more hauling weight. Anyway, I took a trip with long rolling hills and flat land (central Texas), and about 150 lbs of personal items added to the trailor weight. This vehicle strained the whole 350 mile trip. Gas milage dropped to 7.5 and the rpms stayed at 2.75 at a max speed of 60 mph. Any hill had this vehilce struggling to maintain 45mph. I don't see this vehicle lasting another trip. The dealer told me that this engine would have no problem towing. I call them from my trip, total miles on the odometer was 1000 miles, to tell them about my towing problems. Now its a used vehicle and the depreciation according to the dealer is 25-50%. It has 1500 miles and they took it in to the shop, and minus the new differential problems, they are checking to see if there are engine problems. They keep saying that it should pull my trailor fine but I want a expedition with the 5.4. Any thoughts on how I can get this trade without going in a money hole? I am telling them that this vehicle does not perform to the specifications they showed me.

Old 07-08-2003, 07:28 AM
jbabbler
Senior User

I would make them take it back based on their claims. I have a 98 Expy 4.6 and I pull a 2600lb boat with it. I wouldn't want to pull anything bigger than that.

The 5.4 would be much better for pulling a 2.5 ton trailer. Your best bet would be to get a diesel Excursion. The used ones are much cheaper than a new Expy.

Old 07-08-2003, 02:41 PM
Black1
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think your trailer weight is too close to the max for my comfort. I'm also thinking you're towing close to the max on an engine that's not broken in yet. That may account a little for the low mpg.

It sounds like you didn't buy the right vehicle for what you want it to do. You are easily at 90% or better of the truck's tow rating. When you look at it like that, I think it would be clear why the truck would struggle over uneven terrain.

I've pulled travel trailers and boats for over 20 years, and the dry weight of a trailer is compounded rapidly when you start adding gear. 400-500 lbs of gear is really easy to accumulate. Also take into consideration water and fuel tanks. Potable water + gray water + black water can really add up.

The odds are the salesman had little to no experience pulling a trailer, and the input he could give you towards that end was ineffective. Sadly, at this point I'm afraid it is going to be an expensive lesson for you.

Old 07-08-2003, 06:38 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of salespeople do not understand "maximum tow ratings." Let's say the Expy has a max tow rating of 6,050 lbs, and you tow a trailer that has a dry weight of 6,050 lbs. That means you cannot put ONE SINGLE pound of gear or equipment in the trailer, you can't put ANYTHING in any of the tanks, and only the driver is allowed in the Expedition. That's right: no passengers, no luggage, no gear, nothing on the roof rack. You've got to consider all this stuff when towing.

Old 07-08-2003, 06:53 PM
GR8Diesel
Senior User

I pulled a 5,000# trailer with my 5.4 into headwinds and got 7mpg... On the interstate I avereaged just a little over 8mpg. So don't expect a great improvement on the MPG, but (IMHO) you are way underpowered. I don't even want to ask about your brakes...

Old 07-08-2003, 11:08 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my experience, the salesperson rarely has a good understanding of the towing (TRUE towing) capabilities of the vehicles they are selling.
Sad, but true: you bought too little truck (muscle) for the job. You might consider a rear end gear change, but I'd be knocking on the head man's door asking for recourse.

Old 07-11-2003, 05:48 PM
mikelehmann
Junior User

I have a 2002 E-350 super duty van. 5.4 engine i can tow 5000 pounds fairy confortable. when towing did you turn off your over drive? as my van has a button in the shifter for this. over drive is not for towing esprcially with a small motor

Old 07-16-2003, 03:14 AM
chefonray1
New User

Food for thought...
My 98'F-150 4.6 has more power @ 85,000mi than it did when it
had 10,000mi. I live in central TX. and know how long some of the
hills can be. My truck can climb these hills easy without loads But,
if you add 3-5k lbs. to a 6-7k lbs. truck,it's going to be tough,with
a 4.6 or a 5.4. I grew up in the hill country and all vehicles exept
the 1970's D.P.S. interceptors had a hard pull in those hills.
OR,let's add it up.
25gallon tank.............................................. 200#
wife.............................................. ...............200#
wifes' luggage&makeup..............................150#
your luggage........................................... ....50#
fishing gear.............................................. ...20#
cooler w/beer&ice.......................................30#
wifes' suitcasew/shoes&gifts......................80#
2 grandkids 75# ea. x2=............................150#
juice boxes& snacks...................................10#
gameboys & games....................................5#
kids boombox........................................... ..7#
camping,tents,lanterns ect.........................75#
laptop,cellphones,pagers,P.D.A.s'..............10#
pillows,blankets,washcloths....................... 8#
cooler w/ozarka,v-8,redbull........................12#
toys&games for kids...................................15#
flashlights& extra batteries.........................6#
toolbox & floorjack......................................75#
.................................................. ....TOTAL=1103#

Old 08-10-2003, 08:50 PM
NewHolland
Senior User

Food for thought...A set of 4;10 gears in the diff would make a HUGE diff in the towing ability of the 4.6...And trust me if its working less thew mileage will go up not down..I did this and am VERY satified with my 4.6..In fact next time I might even go for the 4;30 gears with a stick in the heritage model just so I can do this.(I love stick shifts)..Always remember most(not all) sales people dont know squat about the real world stuff of towing..Also remember gas milage is determined by throttle position more than RPM...My mileage towing 8000#(I know beyond specs!) went from 7 to 11..Nothing but a change from 3;55's to 4;10's...and it TOWS!