Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oil Leak in valley?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 11:03 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Leak in valley?

Hey guys so on my 2002 7.3, I've been noticing an oil leak for the past few months, and just haven't gotten around to doing anything about it. Its not a terrible leak, but still pretty noticeable. I leave at least a little spot everywhere I park. At first I was hoping it could have been a fuel leak and was just picking up sludge and grime as it dripped down to give it the black color. So I got a fuel bowl rebuild kit and did that, since regardless of whether it was responsible for the leak or not, it would be a good idea to do, but nope it still continued to have the leak. So then I was pretty sure that it was oil.

It is dripping at the rear of the engine where the engine and transmission meet. But is wet on both sides and looks to be dripping down from up above. I can also see a little puddle down in the valley. The oil level has dropped, but is not low, it is still in the operating range on the dipstick. So like I said its not a huge leak, but something I'd still like to get fixed especially before I change the oil. If the truck sits the spot on the ground will continue to get bigger, so I would assume that means the it is still leaking even though the truck is shut off. So I would guess that that means wherever it is leaking from has some pressure in it correct? A HPOP line maybe? I have not gotten to washing it down yet and physically looking for the source of the leak yet.

So what I'm wondering is what you guys think is leaking. I'm thinking its either a HPOP line or the HPOP itself or maybe the turbo. Those sound like possibilities? Also was wondering how to figure out for sure what is leaking. Is pretty much the only way, to wash it down and check everywhere for leaks? Am I going in the right direction? Oh yeah forgot to say the truck has over 270,000 miles on it so I wouldn't doubt if a few things were starting to wear out.

Here's a few pictures of where its leaking down and dripping from. Not too great but you can see it.

Thanks for any help.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:39 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 787 Likes on 576 Posts
Very helpful pics, thanks for posting those. Drier than mine down there. Once the engine is off there is no oil pressure anywhere, so originally I suspected the oil dipstick flange or the oil cooler, but those look dry. Apparently the leak is happening while running, and coming from on top. Your instincts to clean the top and inspect are the right move IMO. Simple Green or similar degreaser and a garden hose (keep off the alternator) then allow to dry and inspect after a few miles. If the leak appears to be from front of the valley the HPOP and connections to HPOP lines deserve greater scrutiny. But if the leak is toward the rear of the valley the turbo o-rings at top and bottom of pedestal and EBPV solenoid are the usual suspects. A HPOP hose leak would be dramatic so I'd suspect the fittings to the head first. If the HPOP hoses are original they should be replaced anyhow, they take a beating and don't last forever. Pics from the top before and after the cleaning would be helpful.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:28 AM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
After you clean up the valley, loosely wad up some clean white paper towels and stick them in various locations to help locate where the leak is coming from, (while it's running). Inspection mirror and a strong flashlight will help once you narrow down the area. This is how I located a couple of leaks. On mine, one was an o-ring on a plug at the back of the HPOP. The other was an o-ring on one of the HPOP line fittings.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:04 AM
Bluebronco85
Senior User
Had the same problem last winter with mine. Didnt know i had a leak until i parked in a friends steep driveway causing the oil to run to back of valley and through bell housing. Ended up being a HPOP line oring. Cousin works for international dealership so no cost orings. I cleaned mine with purple power then hunted down the leak. hope all goes well hunting it down.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:42 AM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Thanks for the responses guys! Sorry I took so long to get back to you guys.

Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Very helpful pics, thanks for posting those. Drier than mine down there. Once the engine is off there is no oil pressure anywhere, so originally I suspected the oil dipstick flange or the oil cooler, but those look dry. Apparently the leak is happening while running, and coming from on top. Your instincts to clean the top and inspect are the right move IMO. Simple Green or similar degreaser and a garden hose (keep off the alternator) then allow to dry and inspect after a few miles. If the leak appears to be from front of the valley the HPOP and connections to HPOP lines deserve greater scrutiny. But if the leak is toward the rear of the valley the turbo o-rings at top and bottom of pedestal and EBPV solenoid are the usual suspects. A HPOP hose leak would be dramatic so I'd suspect the fittings to the head first. If the HPOP hoses are original they should be replaced anyhow, they take a beating and don't last forever. Pics from the top before and after the cleaning would be helpful.
Thanks. No problem on the pics, I always like to have some pictures along with a question if I can. Ok thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't sure if there could still be pressure somewhere. Yeah I didn't get to cleaning it yet, but I'll probably clean the top and bottom either today or tomorrow and then look for leaks. Hoping its something simple. I'll be sure to check the HPOP hoses too, and get pics before and after.

Originally Posted by binuya
After you clean up the valley, loosely wad up some clean white paper towels and stick them in various locations to help locate where the leak is coming from, (while it's running). Inspection mirror and a strong flashlight will help once you narrow down the area. This is how I located a couple of leaks. On mine, one was an o-ring on a plug at the back of the HPOP. The other was an o-ring on one of the HPOP line fittings.
Thanks, for the tips. I'll be sure to put some paper towels in there. I think that would be helpful.

Originally Posted by Bluebronco85
Had the same problem last winter with mine. Didnt know i had a leak until i parked in a friends steep driveway causing the oil to run to back of valley and through bell housing. Ended up being a HPOP line oring. Cousin works for international dealership so no cost orings. I cleaned mine with purple power then hunted down the leak. hope all goes well hunting it down.
Thanks. I hope I find it pretty easily too. Hopefully its something simpler like yours was and not something major.

Yeah like I said I'll clean it up either today or tomorrow and then check for leaks, and report back to you guys. I also changed the oil the other day, I know seems kind of stupid to do with an oil leak, but it was due for it and I finally had the tools and place to do it.