2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaf Springs change

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:43 AM
sammer4u
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaf Springs change

Had this in the suspension blog, and only one response from Junior so far.

Been awhile since I have been to this site and posted anything. This past week I had to replace the driver's side leaf spring, as one leaf broke. I have a 2006 XLT F150 4X4 5.4 super cab. The leaf springs are 2/1 set up. Had a heck of time finding this set first, but did. Got both sides and did both right away. I had a fairly tall standing rear of the truck. Now after the install, it seems to be sitting much lower than before the change (even with the broken leaf). Curious if I did something wrong in the tightening stages.

When getting the new leaf spring set in, I tightened all the bolts before lowering the truck down. Someone mentioned that i might have to loosen the front bolt, and the two on the rear shackle while on the ground, let it settle, and then tighten while all weight is on the truck. Will this really make the standing height return?

Any suggestions on what to do after the fact would be appreciated. Truck seems to ride fine, just concerned about the lack of stock height that I had. As long as it goes and drives fine I guess all is good.

As of last night I loosened up all the spring bolts, and u-bolts. Set the truck on the ground with all weight on the axle. Tightened the bolts, still low. It seems to be about 3-4 inches lower than the stock height. My next step is to attempt to loosen the bolts again, jack the body up and then tighten bolts. Leave the tires on the ground.

Am I missing something? Defiantly lost the height in the back.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-16-2014, 11:02 AM
twfish
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sammer4u
Had this in the suspension blog, and only one response from Junior so far.

Been awhile since I have been to this site and posted anything. This past week I had to replace the driver's side leaf spring, as one leaf broke. I have a 2006 XLT F150 4X4 5.4 super cab. The leaf springs are 2/1 set up. Had a heck of time finding this set first, but did. Got both sides and did both right away. I had a fairly tall standing rear of the truck. Now after the install, it seems to be sitting much lower than before the change (even with the broken leaf). Curious if I did something wrong in the tightening stages.

When getting the new leaf spring set in, I tightened all the bolts before lowering the truck down. Someone mentioned that i might have to loosen the front bolt, and the two on the rear shackle while on the ground, let it settle, and then tighten while all weight is on the truck. Will this really make the standing height return?

Any suggestions on what to do after the fact would be appreciated. Truck seems to ride fine, just concerned about the lack of stock height that I had. As long as it goes and drives fine I guess all is good.

As of last night I loosened up all the spring bolts, and u-bolts. Set the truck on the ground with all weight on the axle. Tightened the bolts, still low. It seems to be about 3-4 inches lower than the stock height. My next step is to attempt to loosen the bolts again, jack the body up and then tighten bolts. Leave the tires on the ground.

Am I missing something? Defiantly lost the height in the back.

Any thoughts?
Id try that last step that would seem to make a lil more sense. Did you go with oem? And I beleive 04-05 and 06-08 had diffrent rake so are you sure you got the right one?