1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 Ford F6 (barn find) dump truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 08:21 PM
jessecam
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1951 Ford F6 (barn find) dump truck

well I don't know where to start I just found and purchased 1951 Ford F6 dump truck that has been sitting in a barn since 1981 and was just use occasionally in the summers that for being a Michigan truck, is in very nice shape. I have been looking for a 46 to 51 f-series Ford for quite some time but I don't know too much about them. first I was wondering if ford ever does a history check or is there a way to find out the history of a ford truck. are the cabs all the same on the f-series trucks like the gauges controls, etc. from f2 to f7 trucks. also the engine is a flathead 6 cylinder but has a funny Square or oil pan on a bottom of it almost looks like a transmission oil pan on the bottom of the engine. I know I don't hear too much about the larger Ford trucks on this forum but if anybody knows anything I would appreciate any information. Its amazing what you guys know. I am a new member and apologize in advance for all the screw ups.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:35 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
No apology required, welcome to thegroup. Your engine is the big six 254 cubic inch. 8MTH should be cast on the top of the head.
Your 4 speed trans is also likely a synchro silent trans.

You have a nice setup it sounds like. Ive got a 52 f6 thats very slowly being rebuilt.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:01 PM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by jessecam
well I don't know where to start I just found and purchased 1951 Ford F6 dump truck that has been sitting in a barn since 1981 and was just use occasionally in the summers that for being a Michigan truck, is in very nice shape. I have been looking for a 46 to 51 f-series Ford for quite some time but I don't know too much about them. first I was wondering if ford ever does a history check or is there a way to find out the history of a ford truck. are the cabs all the same on the f-series trucks like the gauges controls, etc. from f2 to f7 trucks. also the engine is a flathead 6 cylinder but has a funny Square or oil pan on a bottom of it almost looks like a transmission oil pan on the bottom of the engine. I know I don't hear too much about the larger Ford trucks on this forum but if anybody knows anything I would appreciate any information. Its amazing what you guys know. I am a new member and apologize in advance for all the screw ups.
Welcome. There are quite a few who dabble with the larger trucks. BTW, the F-series started in 48.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:56 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
F1-F8 cabs are the same, with the exception of COE. However, the dash is the same.

Check to see if your truck has the original widow maker wheels. If it does, then you will want to find a replacement set real quick.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:41 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome! If you select 'User CP' from the left side of the screen, you'll be able to include your location in the profile info - this gives everyone an idea of where in the world you hail.

+1 on the wheels - the WMs are not a 'get to it' item.

What are your plans? Pics?

DW

Old 05-13-2014, 09:14 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Most of your questions have been answered. But I will add that Ford has no historical records or data for these trucks. What wasn't lost in a fire was subsequently destroyed as unimportant. The best you can do is decode the serial number and firewall stampings (if equipped) to gain insight about the build options. We can help with that if you post them here. Beyond that, you'll have to rely on word of mouth and memories of the previous owner.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:44 AM
50f6
Cross-Country
Jessecam I think if you really look into your truck you'll find that the wheels and tires are junk, and you need to give them to member 50F6 I think he needs a set ,that being said it sounds like a great project hope to see some pictures of yours and your friends truck. Don't forget to go to the body work forum I'm sure theirs a guy that would be glad to help . GM

Old 05-13-2014, 10:43 AM
jessecam
New User
Was that trans very common back then. I know my granpa had a 49 and I remeber driving that as a kid and I dont think it was syncro trans. This also has a 2 speed axle so im going to ask a stupid question. Do you clutch when changing rear end speeds.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:54 AM
jessecam
New User
Originally Posted by jmadsen
No apology required, welcome to thegroup. Your engine is the big six 254 cubic inch. 8MTH should be cast on the top of the head.
Your 4 speed trans is also likely a synchro silent trans.

You have a nice setup it sounds like. Ive got a 52 f6 thats very slowly being rebuilt.
Thanks was that synchronize transmission real common back then I remember my grandpa had a 49 and I'm sure I wasn't that good of a driver back then but I don't think the transmission wasnt syncronized. this also has a two speed rear axle so I'm going to ask a stupid question. do you clutch when you change the rear end speeds. when I get home tonight I will check on the engine to see if it is a 254, hopefully it runs smooth as the 226 does.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:23 AM
jessecam
New User
Thanks everyone. It wont allow me to upload any photos but as soon as I can figure out how to mauver this site I will post them plus the story behind it.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:54 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Could we see some pictures? Here is how.

But I got ta say becoming a supporter is the fastest and easiest way to post pics right from
your whatever pad/cell thing or home computer.
Few of us look in the users Gallery or album as you can see by your recent visitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
The best photos and videos | Photobucket

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Here's a tutorial Bob put together: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...-pictures.html Bob's link is not working. Can someone in the know tell me why?

How to upload pictures to the FTE Forums. - YouTube. Thanks Sam Rusty_Old_F250. Best we can find is that this video was done by Gundown64

Old 05-13-2014, 01:17 PM
jessecam
New User
Why does it look so easy.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:42 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Received 548 Likes on 398 Posts
Good to see another F-6 coming to life!

Definitely work out the Window Maker Situation and check the condition of your brakes. The shoes and drums are not available new anywhere so take care of them. Any good brake/clutch shop should be able to reline your shoes if needed. Your drums may be able to be turned, even slightly past spec (Your not planning on carrying heavy gravel, water etc, right?). Some others on this board may be able to speak to having their drums revitalized with drum liners/inserts. Wheel cylinders are obtainable via places like RockAuto or NAP. My F-6 has the brake booster. While the original isn't available or rebuildable, the next generation model is almost a bolt on replacement and is available from NAPA.

My F-6 has the T-98 syncronize Tranny and it is nice and easy to shift compared to my F-5 Crashbox. However, the 4spd Crashbox is perfectly acceptable - just be prepared to learn the sounds and feel to master the double clutching process of shifting it.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:20 PM
jessecam
New User
I did check and all but one is a widow maker but I may have a line on some. I will check the brakes. I know the master cyl is dry but clean if that means anything.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:51 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Dry but clean master cylinder doesn't mean much.

The 254 if in good shape will run as smoothly as a 226. The sychro-silent transmission is an early Borg-Warner T98. It sounds like you have a very nicely equipped truck.

2nd the request for pictures. I save pictures on photobucket and link to them here.