1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

2nd vin number location for 1956 truck chassis

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Psmith1951
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd vin number location for 1956 truck chassis

I have no title for the finished chassis that has been built for my 1953-55 cab. I have sanded an area on top of the rail under the passenger front cab section to find the first vin number. There is a vin number stamped, but someone during the chassis build, drilled 3 holes to hold wiring harness. I can make out most of the numbers except for 2 digits on the production sequence. My questions are:
1--Is there another one or two places for an additional vin number on this chassis that I could verify the exact vin number.
2--I did not see any evidence that the plant location is on this vin.
example *F10 V6 2_34_* The F10 is the model. V is the motor type. 6 is the year 1956. The next number should be an alpabet letter for the plant. There is no stamping or impression for that. The production sequence starts with 2, then a blank where a hole is drilled. Then 3 & 4, then another blank where a hole was drilled, then the*.
Has anyone seen a vin number that is missing the plant on the stamping?
Again, I would like to try to find the second area that a vin is stamped. My chassis is completed with new paint and all mechanical upgrades. I would like to reduce the number of places that I will be sanding to try to find a second number.
Any and all information will be greatly appreciated. I want to get the title work staighted out before I do anything further. The will be for a NC title and the DMV is hard to work with. Psmith

Old 05-08-2014, 10:15 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
On the 53-56 the serial # is stamped on top the pass side frame rail between the cab and front axle, where it is easily found (may be covered with dirt/paint/rust tho), not under the cab. it is not stamped deeply, so go easy with sanding or try wiping with acetone.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:37 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Where in NC are you?

Old 05-08-2014, 11:02 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
It sounds like the OP is aware of that vin, he's asking if there's another one stamped somewhere else on the frame, since the one up front has been partially destroyed.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Psmith1951
Freshman User
That is correct. I found the one on the passenger side between the cab & axle. It has some of the stamping drilled out when someone decided to put a holder for the harness to run thru. I would like to find the other vin on this chassis to verify my information. Also, the partial stamping did not have a plant ID which I had never seen before. I live in the Rutherford county area of NC. Thanks for all responses. Psmith

Old 05-08-2014, 02:38 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
what part is the plant code and what part is the build date code and is it the same 48-56 f1-f100

Old 05-08-2014, 03:08 PM
Psmith1951
Freshman User
I did not see any evidence that the plant location is on this vin.
example *F10 V6 2_34_* The F10 is the model. V is the motor type. 6 is the year 1956. The next number should be an alpabet letter for the plant. There is no stamping or impression for that. The production sequence starts with 2, then a blank where a hole is drilled. Then 3 & 4, then another blank where a hole was drilled, then the*.
Has anyone seen a vin number that is missing the plant on the stamping?

Old 05-08-2014, 05:46 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
How big of holes did the guy drill? Have you tried getting it verified with what is there, or do you not have any corresponding paperwork showing the complete number?

There is rumor of the number being stamped in other location(s), but AFAIK no one has vet been able to verify the existence or location. I would expect that with the number of stripped and/or sandblasted frames someone would have seen and noted additional stampings. I suspect that "hidden" serial # stampings were not deemed necessary or the norm back then, heck, a lot of people didn't even take the keys out of their vehicles or lock the doors on their houses in the 50s!

Old 05-09-2014, 12:42 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
As a retired Law Enforcement officer, the BEST advise I can give you is to NOT PAY anybody any money for that Chassis until THEY can secure a VERIFIED title. If you have paid them, DEMAND the return of your money now!
The chances of somebody 'accidentally' drilling a hole or three through the stamped serial number in a frame for a wiring harness purposes is in my professional opinion about 1/1,000,000,000,000,000. The fact that 'they' don't have a title for this 'mutilated' vin ranks right up there with Federal prosecution under 18 USC511, punishable by fine and imprisonment up to 5 years.

If by the odd chance that these folks are legitimate, have them present proper documentation to the State DMV where the frame can be issued a 'new' state issued vin#, that of course will most likely have you ending up with a title for a home made or reconstructed vehicle that will NOT be a 1953 - 1955 Ford F100.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but you are right now in a very bad situation and if all things are not done proper and legal, you could find yourself out of a large amount of $$, And, possibly face legal problems yourself.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:57 AM
Psmith1951
Freshman User
I had already stopped all work on this build until I can it titled cleanly and legally. It is totally a build of many different parts from GM to Ford. This is why I am trying to get all research done before showing to DMV officer that is scheduled to come & look it over. The stamping did not show any plant location in the vin as far as I can tell. It did not appear that the holes were drilled intentionally to hide the vin, otherwise they could have done a better job of covering the stamping. They were drilled after sandblasting, priming, & painting. However, I can never know for sure until I can get the complete vin and check it out with DMV. I am going to try to upload a picture showing what is on the rail. I believe that it will help explain the part where there is not a plant location on the stamping.
I do appreciate the frankness and honesty. It must be done correctly and legally for me to enjoy my ride. I do not want to look over my shoulder later & be afraid of getting stopped during a NC license check which is very often where I live. Psmith1951

Old 05-09-2014, 08:10 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Psmith1951
I had already stopped all work on this build until I can it titled cleanly and legally. It is totally a build of many different parts from GM to Ford. This is why I am trying to get all research done before showing to DMV officer that is scheduled to come & look it over. The stamping did not show any plant location in the vin as far as I can tell. It did not appear that the holes were drilled intentionally to hide the vin, otherwise they could have done a better job of covering the stamping. They were drilled after sandblasting, priming, & painting. However, I can never know for sure until I can get the complete vin and check it out with DMV. I am going to try to upload a picture showing what is on the rail. I believe that it will help explain the part where there is not a plant location on the stamping.
I do appreciate the frankness and honesty. It must be done correctly and legally for me to enjoy my ride. I do not want to look over my shoulder later & be afraid of getting stopped during a NC license check which is very often where I live. Psmith1951
Boy I know where you are coming from I'm in the same boat(truck)as you had paper work all ready for the dmv start to ck out the numbers an seller has only 8 numbers the CHP signed it off! I could have taken this paper work to dmv but I have to have it wright

Old 05-09-2014, 11:03 AM
Psmith1951
Freshman User
That is part of the reason that I need to find the 2nd set of vin numbers if it exits on the frame. Also, I have not been able to post a picture showing the stamping on top rail. It would clearly show that it does not have the plant stamped. This could have been a "freak" where it was left off originally. The 2nd set of Vin on the chassis would let me know for sure. Psmith1951

Old 05-09-2014, 11:13 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Pictures have to be uploaded to a third party photo hosting site, then linked here.

It's not uncommon to have digits missing or incorrect in stampings. I wouldn't get too worked up about a missing plant code, other than the fact you've got enough problems already.