6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Limp mode with trailer - underboost code

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 05:50 PM
ajg617
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limp mode with trailer - underboost code

Hello all,
Pretty much new to Ford pickups. Daughter purchased a 2005 F-350 6.0L to pull horse trailers with. Truck had 140K (now 144K) and was just too clean to pass up for what they were asking. For the last 8 months or so, she has been pulling a two-horse trailer without any problems but ran into some problems pulling a 30' trailer (I'm guessing 8-10,000 lbs from the look of it - not mine) from New England to North Carolina. I should say there is an older Bully Dog Outlook mounted on the left window frame but it doesn't appear to be connected. I've read a lot of posts on the different forums and can't yet come away with any sort way ahead.

About 40 minutes into the trip to NC, the truck went into limp mode (wrench light on) in Vermont (some hills, but not really bad). This would clear every time they stopped and shut the engine down until in the Virginia area when the CEL came on as well (limp mode still cleared during stops but the CEL stayed on). She stopped at a local Autozone and they pulled the P0299 code which was set and pending - nothing else.

Without the large trailer on, the truck seemed to run fine but the CEL stayed on. She took the truck to a Raleigh Ford dealer who performed KOER and replaced the EGR valve and fuel filters as well as an Air Inlet Connection (PN 6C3Z*6C640*A) for an 'oil leak' which was diagnosed at another Ford dealer near Ft. Bragg that didn't have a full-time diesel mechanic. They also told her she need a new turbo.

Truck ran fine until she started the trip home two weeks ago with the same trailer. CEL, Wrench and Limp mode in 30 minutes. Stopped again and code was the same P0299. Limp cleared at each shutdown. When she got home, I cleared the code, but it immediately went to pending again. Under WOT with no load, I'm seeing a boost just over 20-22 up hill. No weird noises from the turbo, in fact it sounds like it spools up rather nicely, but maybe not all the way - caveat - I'm used to what my Cummins turbo sounded like - not much Ford experience.

So I have the truck for 2 weeks and am looking for some guidance on where to look next (EBP, ICP, turbo itself, battery, oil/egr coolers). It seems like this is a tough code to pin down from what I've been reading. I called the Ford dealer she bought it from and tech thinks it is likely the ring. I'm just wondering if there is a set way folks look at things. I was going to look at the EBP sensor first and then pull the turbo apart. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
AJG

Old 05-07-2014, 06:45 PM
2006White60
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

If you don't already have, you need to get a Scangauge or another type of monitor, to see what might be causing the problems.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Iaff113
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an under boost not to long ago that kept popping up. My turbo center was bad. Ford wants to much. So put in a new turbo and riffraff boots and back to normal

Old 05-07-2014, 10:10 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You are going to need codes for sure. Code reader or the dealer might be wise here to get to the bottom of this. Also I wonder if the BD is just the outlook monitor like I use or if it's also chipped. The outlook plugs into the OBD2 port to send data, this will show you more accurate boost numbers too. I think with those miles sticking unison ring on the turbo or loose boots on the cold air charge lines, boots. You might also check the gauge on the filter and be sure she isn't a plugged air filter. The wrench like could also be your temps between water and oil, meaning if oil cooler is bad, it's shutting you down. The outlook monitor can show you oil and water temps and if oil is more than 15 degrees higher than water when water is up to 190, then you have oil cooler problems. Don't let anyone but a proper ford diesel mechanic do diagnosis or you will be spending good money after bad trying to throw parts at it. They need to know how to diagnose according to the tech guides. Our tech folder is a lot of reading but it will point you in the right direction. Let us know some readings and such, we can help.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:16 PM
rattleNsmoke
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same exact thing happen to me over the past two camping seasons with the same underboost code. I was pulling my hair out trying to diagnose the situation even with a ScanGauge. It ende up being a frozen Unison ring in the turbo. Although it pulled like an Ox and would never throw the wrench light when empty, once I towed heavy BINGO the truck would lose power and I'd have to shut her down and re-start to reset the wrench light. All would be fine until I hit a grade, then low boost all over again. Take the turbo apart and clean the hell out of the variable vein section.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Old 05-09-2014, 05:28 PM
ajg617
Junior User
Thanks for all the responses. The diesel tech at the Ford dealer daughter purchased the truck from said he would clean the turbo for $400 which is about 2 hours lighter than normal from what I understand. That assumes that the unison ring and turbo aren't badly pitted. Thought that was a nice touch (I do like the dealership).

Then again I thought I might pull it this weekend and have a look myself to save her some $ but after doing the brakes on my car 3 weeks ago, had to get a cortisone shot in the knee so I'm not sure I'll go that route. I'd rather see her put the money into a scangauge or edge insight so she really knows what is happening when it does.

She only pulls the heavy trailer a couple of times per year. So it is difficult to diagnose properly because with a two-horse trailer, it never goes into limp mode. Still, it is generating underboost codes now with nothing behind so that definitely needs to be taken care of.

I was told that the P0299 could also mean overboost though the highest I could get on the factory boost gauge was about 22. Can anyone confirm that? I'm thinking the turbo needs to come apart as a first step.

Thanks for all of your input.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:30 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I think it's either over or under, there is more danger in over boost. An 2005 has a boost gauge, so I would watch it closely when towing, once past 1st and second and fully warmed up it should give you about 28 lbs boost on the gauge. It does have to be fully warmed up, ie coolant over 190. The dash gauge is a dummy gauge and will show its normal middle spot at about 140 f. I would recommend either dash boss for iPhone or the other for non iPhone over those other items. You need to be able to add an EGT gauge and fuel pressure on the fords to really do it right, so just keep that in mind. The scangauge gives you readings, but not as good for codes and doesn't do anything that's not at the obd2 port that's all.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:51 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by ajg617

I was told that the P0299 could also mean overboost though the highest I could get on the factory boost gauge was about 22. Can anyone confirm that? I'm thinking the turbo needs to come apart as a first step.

Thanks for all of your input.

Yes overBoost or Under Boost

22 psi is LOW for WOT. Did you get this with the trailer Hooked UP?? oe Empty

Has anyone done diagnostic on it besides Autozone???

If not I wouldn't rip into it yet LOTS of Possible things Since it throwing the DTC ALL the Time

LOTS of things could cause that DTC

Exhaust Leak
Map sensor
EBP sensor
BARO Sensor
CAC Boot Leak
Split Plastic CAC Tube
Unisone ring/Veins Stickey
VGT Silinoid
Failed Oil Supply However Rare
Wiring
EGR Valve
Air Filter

But a Gauge could help you rule IN/OUT most my List above

Old 05-11-2014, 12:55 PM
ajg617
Junior User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Yes overBoost or Under Boost

22 psi is LOW for WOT. Did you get this with the trailer Hooked UP?? oe Empty

Has anyone done diagnostic on it besides Autozone???

If not I wouldn't rip into it yet LOTS of Possible things Since it throwing the DTC ALL the Time

No trailer but stiff uphill climb in 5th and 4th gears.

Two Ford dealers in NC pulled the codes and performed KOER, replaced the EGR, and an inlet hose on leading into the turbo, and checked electrical.

Ford dealer that sold it to me has it this week to inspect the unison ring and clean turbo if necessary. I do want to ditch the Bully Dog Outlook and get an Edge or DashBoss.