1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Power steering fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:47 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering fluid leak

My power steering fluid keeps seeping out where the hoses attach to the rack and eventually draining the reservoir (I'm not sure if that's technically "the rack", but he leak is at the lower end of the supply hose rather than the upper/reservoir end). The hoses are really stiff and you'll notice in the pic I have them pretty twisted. Are the hoses untwisting and thus slightly unthreading themselves and creating their own leak? Tyler

Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2014, 01:28 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
what style fitting at the rack? Double flare or oring seal? If the connections are tight they should not leak. Nick in a sealing seat or cut oring are possibilities depending on connection design.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by drptop70ss
what style fitting at the rack? Double flare or oring seal? If the connections are tight they should not leak. Nick in a sealing seat or cut oring are possibilities depending on connection design.
It's a flare fitting. I've tightened it as tight at possible I think.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:06 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Take the tube off and inspect it under a bright light. It may be cracked. Check close to the fitting but the crack could be anywhere along the tube.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by petemcl
Take the tube off and inspect it under a bright light. It may be cracked. Check close to the fitting but the crack could be anywhere along the tube.
Ok I'll try that! Thx! T

Old 05-07-2014, 06:58 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Leak

I have the same problem with mine, my hoses are custom to fit the CV steering pump and MII rack. Its not enought to drain the resevoir often, but annoying. Its on my to do list, after gauges.

Tom

Old 05-07-2014, 08:35 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by tip49
I have the same problem with mine, my hoses are custom to fit the CV steering pump and MII rack. Its not enought to drain the resevoir often, but annoying. Its on my to do list, after gauges. Tom
Hm. Lemme know if you figure it out. It's on my list to get to as well. T

Old 05-07-2014, 10:16 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
If you are still having problems you can buy fluorescent dye at NAPA that will help show the source under a black light which are sold at many novelty stores.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:02 PM
Giesterfarher™
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tyler S
My power steering fluid keeps seeping out where the hoses attach to the rack and eventually draining the reservoir (I'm not sure if that's technically "the rack", but he leak is at the lower end of the supply hose rather than the upper/reservoir end). The hoses are really stiff and you'll notice in the pic I have them pretty twisted. Are the hoses untwisting and thus slightly unthreading themselves and creating their own leak? Tyler
I may be seeing things, but it LOOKS like your universal joint on the rack is loose, or not all the way onto the racks input.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:19 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Are you using a low pressure pump meant for a R&P? R&P use a much lower operating pressure. Flare fittings are only meant to be tightened once or twice, if reused several times or overtightened they can leak. Also the hoses should never be installed twisted, the ends are designed to absorb flex but the hose will not tolerate twisting for very long, especially after the fluid gets heated up. Install the hoses in as relaxed a routing as possible.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by AXracer
Are you using a low pressure pump meant for a R&P? R&P use a much lower operating pressure. Flare fittings are only meant to be tightened once or twice, if reused several times or overtightened they can leak. Also the hoses should never be installed twisted, the ends are designed to absorb flex but the hose will not tolerate twisting for very long, especially after the fluid gets heated up. Install the hoses in as relaxed a routing as possible.
I don't think so but it's leaking with NO pressure. It hasn't ever been run under pressure.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:06 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by Giesterfarher™
I may be seeing things, but it LOOKS like your universal joint on the rack is loose, or not all the way onto the racks input.
I'll double check but I'm pretty sure the splines of the rack are fully inserted into the universal joint and are flush with the inner edge. Thanks!! Tyler

Old 05-10-2014, 10:15 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by Giesterfarher™
Ok never mind!!! I just went and checked. It was totally backed off!! You may have saved a life with that catch!!! Thank you so much!!!!!! Tyler

Old 05-11-2014, 09:35 AM
Giesterfarher™
Senior User
Ok never mind!!! I just went and checked. It was totally backed off!! You may have saved a life with that catch!!! Thank you so much!!!!!! Tyler
Whew! Glad I saw that. Even gladder you went and looked.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:04 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I don't think so but it's leaking with NO pressure. It hasn't ever been run under pressure.
If it's leaking without any pressure on it, you have a real problem. With everything new it should be real easy to spot where the leak is coming from. Isolate the source of the leak then replace whatever is connected at that point: hose, seal seat, etc. Do not overtighten flare fittings, you are just pressing the soft flare against the seat. It should NEVER be tightened enough that the tube flare turns with the nut.

Quick Reply: Power steering fluid leak