Leveling suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 11:24 PM
justjim2u
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leveling suggestions?

This is how my new truck is riding. GVWR of trailer is 9800Lbs. The hitch setup was set for my 2012 f150 and I didn't adjust anything. Recommendations

Old 05-01-2014, 01:06 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put a stripe on your truck to match your trailer?

Looks good to me. Yes, you could put air bags on your truck, uses Jen's torque lift product, or keep the bed of your truck empty of firewood.

Unless you feel the suspension grounding out, or swaying too bad, maybe just tighten up another link and see if that levels out even more.

Traditionally, about four links hanging is good.

Check the truck capacity to ensure you're legal.

Good looking rig.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:23 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Like Bob said, but if that brings your spring bar up too high, tilt the head of your hitch back a bit and then try tightening the bar up again until it comes into level. Your truck is not off that much; how does it ride? What's your rear fender height empty versus loaded with your trailer i.e. how much is the rear of your truck squatting when loaded?

Steve

Old 05-04-2014, 09:44 PM
justjim2u
New User
I finally measured the squat on my truck. It is exactly 2 inches! It rides nice but I havent had any sheer winds yet.

41 3/8" unloaded 39 3/8" loaded with the WD hanging 3 links.

Thanks for the help!

Old 05-05-2014, 07:04 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by justjim2u
I finally measured the squat on my truck. It is exactly 2 inches! It rides nice but I havent had any sheer winds yet.

41 3/8" unloaded 39 3/8" loaded with the WD hanging 3 links.

Thanks for the help!
Ideally you try not to squat the rear of the truck more than an inch. If you can't get it without pulling the DB up out of level, cant the head of the ball mount back so the bars point down and then redo the chains. That way as the DB comes into level you will have more leverage and they will still be level. Probably not crucial, although front end of truck may still be a little lite. Make sense?

Steve

Old 05-05-2014, 08:28 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Our 12 250 was just too soft for our previous 5er
and what I found before putting bags on it was that the front end would get LIGHTER when hitting dips, etc...
one so bad the front end felt like it lost contact...
I would have lost control if we had hit that same dip while on a curve !!!

yes, going down the nice smooth interstate all things are fine...
it's those extremes that we need to plan for - good luck !
(why I'm starting another thread about my setup )

Old 05-05-2014, 09:20 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
One of the things to remember about air bags is, while they increase load on the rear axle, the weight shift to the front is not the same as using WD bars properly adjusted. If you scale it, I think you will see the difference.

Sometimes folks try to use air bags to take the place of WDs, and that can be a mistake. Not saying that is the case here, just tossing it out as a reminder.

Steve

Old 05-05-2014, 08:33 PM
justjim2u
New User
Thanks Steve-

I will mess with the hitch/ball angle and WD bars and see where I can get it to. Its good to know a number to shoot for. Would the TorkLift Stablelift assist in this? Or would that just help in other ride characteristics.

Jim

Old 05-05-2014, 08:47 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Thanks Steve-

I will mess with the hitch/ball angle and WD bars and see where I can get it to. Its good to know a number to shoot for. Would the TorkLift Stablelift assist in this? Or would that just help in other ride characteristics.

Jim
Jim,

Anything you add to raise the rear by means other than adjusting the WD bars, you will load the rear axle more than it will shift weight to the front axle. Just stick with your set up and get it dialed in, then see if you need anything more. I am betting you don't.

If you have heavy enough spring bars you can actually unweight the rear axle. I can't remember if you posted your before and after axle weights once you were hitched. That would provide you with a good bit of information.

Not saying some of the stuff isn't fun to have and makes a marginal improvement, just question the necessity in most cases.

Just my thoughts,

Steve

Old 05-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Torklift Sheryl
SPONSOR

This is how my new truck is riding. GVWR of trailer is 9800Lbs. The hitch setup was set for my 2012 f150 and I didn't adjust anything. Recommendations
Hey for some reason I am not able to see the photo, but I did see that Bob recommended our Torklift Stableloads. I'd like to offer you some help because they will help with leveling along with handling issues. If you could private message me I can get some more information over to you. From there, I will figure out a way to see the picture that you posted.
Torklift Jen

Torklift International – Towing, Suspension, Tie Downs, Steps
Call me direct: 1-800-246-8132
Visit our Blog: http://www.torklift.com/blog
Old 05-06-2014, 10:52 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Torklift Jen
Hey for some reason I am not able to see the photo, but I did see that Bob recommended our Torklift Stableloads. I'd like to offer you some help because they will help with leveling along with handling issues. If you could private message me I can get some more information over to you. From there, I will figure out a way to see the picture that you posted.
Torklift Jen
I bet he removed the picture from his gallery. When he does that, the picture doesn't show on the posting any longer.
His picture showed a pretty level balance, even with his trailer attached and just a little help would probably make a difference, hence, your torklift product recommendation.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:23 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
In follow-up to my original suggestion, here was my thought. I think the first step with any component is to insure it is correctly installed and adjusted before pursuing add-ons. Often times folks miss the importance of adjusting the cant of the ball using the adjustable head and how it affects the amount of weight that is shifted back to the front wheels. It is possible to level the rear with a number of after-market products, but not shift the same amount back to the front axle as the WD bars do.

That is why, for example, with air bags, the standard advice is to first level with the WD bars and then bring the air bags up to that level, as they can mask the failure to shift ample weight to the front axle.

I say this not to put anyone's product down, but simply suggest maxing out the benefits of what you have before buying anything else.

Again, just my two cents,

Steve

Old 05-07-2014, 10:21 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agree Steve -
why make new laws when the ones you got will work if used properly

Old 05-08-2014, 08:01 AM
justjim2u
New User

Thanks for all the help and suggestions! I was fortunate enough for the wife to approve the bigger truck for pulling our tornado magnet. I am confident it is enough truck, I am just in search of the closest to perfect ride as possible. I want to dial in the WD hitch and level as much as possible and then add some comfort modifications (hence the stableloads).

Steve mentioned weighing the axles loaded and unloaded. Are CAT scales capable of doing this? or do they just measure the entire CVW?

For Jen...I am not sure how come you cant see the picture but I created a gallery and linked it to that this time so maybe?? I would love some information on your product but I dont know how to PM you.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:21 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot

Thanks for all the help and suggestions! I was fortunate enough for the wife to approve the bigger truck for pulling our tornado magnet. I am confident it is enough truck, I am just in search of the closest to perfect ride as possible. I want to dial in the WD hitch and level as much as possible and then add some comfort modifications (hence the stableloads).

Steve mentioned weighing the axles loaded and unloaded. Are CAT scales capable of doing this? or do they just measure the entire CVW?

For Jen...I am not sure how come you cant see the picture but I created a gallery and linked it to that this time so maybe?? I would love some information on your product but I dont know how to PM you.
CAT scales are divided so you get axle weights. I have mine in my glove box, but don't recall what it is off-hand.

Quick Reply: Leveling suggestions?