Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monte's 95 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 01:36 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Monte's 95 Build Thread

Ok guys this is my 95 F150 Build thread, she is a regular car short bed Eddie Bauer edition 4.9l 5 speed.
I wanted to start a build thread on here to track my progress. I want to start off by saying this is just a beater truck for me really and I will be doing everything slowly since my main focus is my 04 and cheaply within reason. I plan to use it in the winter to keep my 04 from rusting through again and in the summer as an offroad/work truck when needed.

I got her a little over a year ago from my buddy who bought it for all the chrome trim to put on his truck. All she needed was brakes and brake lines and a passenger side spring bucket, he was going to scrap it so instead i offered him $200 and he sold it to me because he didn't care really what happened to it.
Here she is the day i first came to see it.(this is after we removed the chrome trim.

Here are some shots of the engine bay.

I don't have any pics of the inside but the headliner was ripped and all some of the parts were broken. like the pillar covers. I picked up a new set of covers from the junk yard and started to paint the interior black. I also wrapped the headliner in black suede which i go from a kit on Ebay for $60 at the time.

The header panel was broken as well as the headlights and blinker housings were leaking so i bought a new header panel, black lightning headlight bezels, smoked headlights and blinker housings, and a black billet grille.

Now finally as she sits today, the fuel pump went and needs to be replaced so i will be ordering that soon. I plan to remove the bed so that i can paint the frame and under side of the bed with POR15 then topcoat it. Just yesturday i got the old tires from my 04 (265/75r16) remounted on some new 16x8 Ultra Wheel Crusher wheels. I got them for $350 and my 04's old tires will probably last another 10k miles which will take me a few years with the amount i drive the truck.

Before:

After:

Old 04-29-2014, 01:42 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
My plans are as follows:

-Add a radio (GF is selling her car so i plan to take it and install her old one back in its place)
- Add a 10" sub (i have a spare form when i built the 04's box)
-Lift/level the front (it sits roughyl 1" lower)
-Replace the rusted out quarters
-New Front Fenders
-Replace radiator support (completely rotted on the mounts)
-Add some lights behind the grille
-Paint satin black (same as another member on here who's user name escapes me)
-Add cab lights
-Finish painting interior
-Raise front seat to allow more room for clutch pedal use
-Replace rear tank and straps with new spectra tank
-remove spare tire carrier (frozen in place and don't have anything to get it free)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things but this covers the gist of it.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:34 PM
BenS77
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice build up. I have a '95 EB also, and you have a different emblem on the fender than my truck does. It is interesting to see the EB's were offered with pretty much any drivetrain. You wouldn't see that today.

It's kinda like this but has F150 instead of Bronco.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:02 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Thanks, yeah its funny my 07 Expedition is an EB and they are all red/tan and have the same interior lol.

Thats funny, my seats are not embroided like others but I have the trim that says eddie bauer on it. I wonder if they used special badges for a while.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:17 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a great start. Where'd you get the billet grill?

Old 04-29-2014, 08:27 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Thanks, I got it on Ebay I dont remember for how much it honestly. I got it about 7 months ago I think it was around $100.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:07 AM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by xmontex4
My plans are as follows:

-Add a radio (GF is selling her car so i plan to take it and install her old one back in its place)
- Add a 10" sub (i have a spare form when i built the 04's box)
-Lift/level the front (it sits roughyl 1" lower)
-Replace the rusted out quarters
-New Front Fenders
-Replace radiator support (completely rotted on the mounts)
-Add some lights behind the grille
-Paint satin black (same as another member on here who's user name escapes me)
-Add cab lights
-Finish painting interior
-Raise front seat to allow more room for clutch pedal use
-Replace rear tank and straps with new spectra tank
-remove spare tire carrier (frozen in place and don't have anything to get it free)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things but this covers the gist of it.
I'll watch this! Radiator core supports suck. My buddy's dad did my Ranger one and I was very grateful.

You can level the front without even buying new springs. You can get a cylinder of nylon from McMaster Carr and make spacers or just use fender washer welded together. You could even use hockey pucks lol. The only limiting factor is how much thread you have available for the lower spring retainer nut.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:19 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by wizkid00104
I'll watch this! Radiator core supports suck. My buddy's dad did my Ranger one and I was very grateful.

You can level the front without even buying new springs. You can get a cylinder of nylon from McMaster Carr and make spacers or just use fender washer welded together. You could even use hockey pucks lol. The only limiting factor is how much thread you have available for the lower spring retainer nut.
Yeah not looking forward to changing that out at all. Both mounts are literally almost nonexistent.

Lol, I'll have to look into the nylon. The front diff is leaking so i was thinking about pulling the TTB and cleaning it up and painting it, I'll probably add a drain plug as well so i don't have to remove or put it on a lift every time i want to change the diff oil or work on the diff if i need to. While it's out I could do that.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:28 AM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Look familiar?

I should tell you that the brackets needed replaced too. And you either make those or get them from a junker....

Finished:

Change the axle pivot bushings while the axle is out. They will probably need it lol.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:30 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Lord Jesus lol, that actually looks just as bad if not slightly better than mine. Good to know though man, did you buy an aftermarket one? Are those brackets bolt on?

The ranger uses a TTB type system as well right? What else should be changed out while its out. I don't plan to do extreme offroading so I'm keeping the TTB plus I'm not going above 35's.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:48 AM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by xmontex4
Lord Jesus lol, that actually looks just as bad if not slightly better than mine. Good to know though man, did you buy an aftermarket one? Are those brackets bolt on?

The ranger uses a TTB type system as well right? What else should be changed out while its out. I don't plan to do extreme offroading so I'm keeping the TTB plus I'm not going above 35's.
Core support was an ebay special $100 shipped. Hit all the major rust points and new spot welds with chassis saver afterwards.

Brackets on mine are cut off and weld on. I imagine the F150 would be similar, but not positive.

For TTB, sway bar bushings or just scrap it (I scraped all sway bars), check all seals on the outer sides of the axles. I needed to replace wheel bearing inner seal in the back of the brake rotor and the compound seal for the spindle needle bearing. Those go in the back of the spindle and on the stub of the drive shaft. While its apart, repack all bearings with grease. I've had to replace both outer U-joint because they seized. They actually will make the steering wheel not recenter which is very surprising. I'd only replace those if they are bad though. If they feel good, leave them alone. If you've never had the spindles off, good luck. Mine where a bitch the first time I removed them. After cleaning them up and adding copious amounts of anti-sieze, they are great now.

I believe they make a spindle puller tool. The threads on to the spindle and then uses a slide hammer to pull it off. I've heard of them, but never used or seen one.

That's about all I got for you. Instead of installing a drain plug on the front, I just use a little hand syphon to suck the fluid out. I've used the same thing on my power steering system. Works fine for me.

Edit: I had to replace the lower spring retainers on my front axle. The threads were toast. I got new ones from LMC.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:56 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Oh i didn't know there was a fill hole on the top, all my searching i never found that on the web lol i cant get my head under there to look lol i was wondering how everyone was refilling the diffs.

to the best of my knowledge the only maintenance done to this truck was oil changes and tires, she is pretty beat up. I guess I'll figure out the TTB as i go as far as whats going to need to be replaced.

I actually dont have a front sway bar which i thought was odd but it's not there. Also i found on Jeffs bronco graveyard that he sells bolt on radiator support mounts.

Radiator Core Support Frame Mount Bracket

Old 04-30-2014, 10:07 AM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
I'm kinda jealous of the bolt on radiator supports... lol

I'm sure youll have a fun time with it.

You'll probably need to replace the radius arm bushings too. Just had that thought....

Old 04-30-2014, 10:12 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Yeah I'm actually on Jeff's bronco graveyard looking at everything right now just adding parts to my amazon wish list so when i finally dive into it I can just add them to the cart and check out lol.

I got those already btw lol.

Also I want to convert the 08 to have 08 rear leafs so i may swap in the 04's old rear leafs into the F150 to see how much Lift i'd get i think it may be too much lift though and ride like a brick in the rear and nice up front lol.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:27 AM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
I have suspicions that the SD leafs are too wide....

What is the advantage of 08 rear leaf springs for the SD?

Quick Reply: Monte's 95 Build Thread