1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Anyone else notice the value of Rangers is increasing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 06:24 AM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Anyone else notice the value of Rangers is increasing?

Last year I went on kbb.com to check the value of my xl and it was around $5100.
I just checked it again and with more miles on it it is almost $6000!

I guess more and more people are seeing the value of these little trucks and since Ford in its infinite wisdom isn't making them any more we're actually benefitting from it!

Old 04-27-2014, 06:53 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting, I'm going to have to check my bare bones XL with 171,000 miles.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:33 AM
cracked block
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's called supply and demand. Trying to buy a used one around here (Florida) is pretty daunting. But I still see tons of em on the road.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:56 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I agree that it's supply and demand. The fact that nobody makes a compact pickup truck anymore is indeed a factor.

But remember that idiotic government program called "cash for clunkers" a few years back? Remember how many perfectly good vehicles - including Rangers and Explorers - that were crushed as a result? Those are vehicles that will never make it onto the used-car market. Also, consider all the used parts that will never make it into circulation because scrapyards were required to crush the trade-ins whole. As a consequence, we are all now paying higher prices for used vehicles and used parts.

Just another example of govt. bureaucrats screwing the little guy. IMO.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:44 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
My 03 is worth exactly what I gave for it 7 years ago. And 100,000 more miles.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:05 AM
finn
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockledge
I agree that it's supply and demand. The fact that nobody makes a compact pickup truck anymore is indeed a factor.

But remember that idiotic government program called "cash for clunkers" a few years back? Remember how many perfectly good vehicles - including Rangers and Explorers - that were crushed as a result? Those are vehicles that will never make it onto the used-car market. Also, consider all the used parts that will never make it into circulation because scrapyards were required to crush the trade-ins whole. As a consequence, we are all now paying higher prices for used vehicles and used parts.

Just another example of govt. bureaucrats screwing the little guy. IMO.
Not many "good" cars got caught up in C for C.

99% was rusted , worn out junk. Besides that, there would now be very few 5 year old cars and trucks on the road without some sort of stimulus. Nobody was buying at the time.

Myopia is not your friend.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:43 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by finn

99% was rusted , worn out junk. Besides that, there would now be very few 5 year old cars and trucks on the road without some sort of stimulus. Nobody was buying at the time.

You're kidding, right? You don't think I've talked to just about every scrapyard dealer in my state about this very subject, time and time again? Every one of them tells me the same thing, over and over: "Joe, we don't have the parts you're looking for because we don't any of your vintage Rangers/Explorers in stock". When I ask why, they tell me the vehicles were crushed years ago during the cash for clunkers debacle. They describe how perfectly good engines were intentionally seized up so they couldn't be recycled (has anybody tried to find a used 3.0L or 4.0L engine to swap into their Ranger lately? Good friggin' luck. They used to be a dime a dozen).

The scrappers also describe how they neither had the time nor the manpower to dissemble the Rangers/Explorers in order to try and save some of the parts that BIG GOVT would've actually allowed. As a consequence, entire vehicles were sent to the crusher.

In terms of policy objectives, CFC has also proven to be an abject failure. But this is not the time or the place to argue that political point. What I want to stress here is that, CFC continues to cost me and my fellow Ranger owners a lot of money.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:34 PM
finn
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockledge
You're kidding, right? You don't think I've talked to just about every scrapyard dealer in my state about this very subject, time and time again? Every one of them tells me the same thing, over and over: "Joe, we don't have the parts you're looking for because we don't any of your vintage Rangers/Explorers in stock". When I ask why, they tell me the vehicles were crushed years ago during the cash for clunkers debacle. They describe how perfectly good engines were intentionally seized up so they couldn't be recycled (has anybody tried to find a used 3.0L or 4.0L engine to swap into their Ranger lately? Good friggin' luck. They used to be a dime a dozen).

The scrappers also describe how they neither had the time nor the manpower to dissemble the Rangers/Explorers in order to try and save some of the parts that BIG GOVT would've actually allowed. As a consequence, entire vehicles were sent to the crusher.

In terms of policy objectives, CFC has also proven to be an abject failure. But this is not the time or the place to argue that political point. What I want to stress here is that, CFC continues to cost me and my fellow Ranger owners a lot of money.
You are entitled to your own opinion, I guess.

Facts are facts, though. Politics are politics, too.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:19 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by finn

Dude,,, really,,, let me guess, you were for hope and change,,,?
The Ford Explorer was the most turned in vehicle in the cfc program, almost ALL of them were driven there. A few of us on here have friends in the industry, and the vast majority of vehicles that were destroyed were running and driving perfectly fine, mechanic friends of mine were distraught at having to RUIN perfectly good engines.
Before you speak out your backside again,,, do some real research and don't just read the huffing-puffington or other such blather.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:58 AM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
So a 99 4.0 4x4 ex-cab Ranger with 91,000 miles, meticulously maintained and running as good or better than new is a clunker?
That's exactly what I saw go to be destroyed by a friends x-wife, so she could go buy a new camry.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:59 AM
exranger06
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cash for Clunkers ended about 5 years ago. You mean nobody has junked any trucks in the last five years? A total of about 700k vehicles were junked in Cash for Clunkers and only a fraction of those were Rangers and Explorers. How many thousands of those vehicles were produced? It's not like they crushed every one that was ever made. Probably more like less than 1%.

I'm definitely not a supporter of the program and also thought it was a very dumb and wasteful thing. But continuing to blame auto industry problems on it years after it ended is ridiculous. Are you guys gonna keep using the Cash for Clunkers excuse 20 years from now?

Old 04-30-2014, 08:18 AM
exranger06
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pickupmanx2
The Ford Explorer was the most turned in vehicle in the cfc program, almost ALL of them were driven there.
ALL of them? You mean almost every last Explorer ever made was traded in for Cash for Clunkers? About 690k vehicles total were "clunkered." Let's say half of those were Explorers (and that is being VERY generous.) So, 345k Explorers were crushed. Ford made more Explorers than that in one year, let alone the last 19 years. (C4C happened in 2009, so 2009-1990 = 19 years)

And if almost ALL of them were crushed, then why would anyone need parts for them? Nobody has one anymore, they all traded them in for C4C! Right?...

Originally Posted by Pickupmanx2
Before you speak out your backside again,,, do some real research and don't just read the huffing-puffington or other such blather.
Seems like you're the one speaking out his back side...

Old 04-30-2014, 08:23 AM
78 & 87 Super Cab
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guess I was fortunate to get My good running '01 for $450

Old 04-30-2014, 11:10 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
Hmmm,,, 6 of the top ten,,,yes, a lot of them were crushed,,,no, of course not every last explorer made, but the #'s are the #'s and to say that the vehicles crushed were not running, piles of poo as finn stated is false,,,
but alas, the quote of never argue with an idiot comes to mind, so have a nice evening.

Top Cash for Clunkers Trade-Ins and New Cars | U.S. News Best Cars

The Top Ten Cash for Clunkers Trade-Ins:
1. 1998 Ford Explorer
2. 1997 Ford Explorer
3. 1996 Ford Explorer
4. 1999 Ford Explorer
5. Jeep Grand Cherokee
6. Jeep Cherokee
7. 1995 Ford Explorer
8. 1994 Ford Explorer
9. 1997 Ford Windstar
10. 1999 Dodge Caravan

Old 05-01-2014, 07:39 AM
exranger06
Senior User
Dude, I know the Explorer was the number 1 vehicle crushed in Cash for Clunkers. But like I said, 690k total vehicles were crushed in the program. That includes ALL the Ford vehicles (not just Explorers, but Rangers, F150s, F250, Econolines, etc), ALL the Chevy vehicles, ALL the Dodge vehicles, ALL the Toyota vehicles, etc. If you add up ALL of those it's 690k total. Even if HALF of all those vehicles were Explorers (which like I said, is MORE than generous) that's still only 345k Explorers crushed. When you consider the millions of Explorers made, that's an insignificant number. Like you said, the numbers are the numbers.
And I never said that the vehicles crushed were non-running piles of poo. The condition of them is irrelevant.

It's sad that you have to resort to name calling and use the excuse of "not arguing with an idiot" as a not-so-graceful way of leaving the thread when you know you've been proven wrong and lost the argument. Seems pretty childish.

Quick Reply: Anyone else notice the value of Rangers is increasing?