Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excited new Excursion Owner with first question (seat)...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:54 PM
FarmFab
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Excited new Excursion Owner with first question (seat)...

I recently picked up a nice 2005 Limited V10 4wd from TX. Just a little over 115k now and seems like it's going to work well to pull my 26ft camper. My 2000 F150 was struggling...

I'm excited about this purchase, more so than the 2 Explorers, F150, and Freestyle I bought new in the past. This is my first used vehicle since my first car at 16. I can do some real work with this and also play with mods.

Here is an issue that I need a little direction on:
1. Drivers Seat. This seat does not seem to have the recline range that most seats have (even the passenger seat in this Ex). I can not get it to move forward enough to get comfortable. Even the armrest, when folded down, is up at about a 15 degree angle. If I roll the front of the seat down some, by the time it's at the bottom (front down, and rear up), the seat back is still too far reclined, and I feel like I'm sliding out of the seat. Is this a common issue? I can not find any similar complaints.

2. My trip meter/overhead console isn't working. I read about the resistor rework, but I can't tell exactly where to solder.

Mods:
1. Rear Bench - no headrests. I came across some installs with respect to this, so I'll be trying to fix this one. I will need to find tan leather Expedition headrests from someone.

2. I need to install tow mirrors. I found a few different variations. I'm not sure what the difference is when people say they are installing 2008+ versions... I'm also not sure how my Black Limited (with limited chrome) would look with chrome covers. Anyone have picts to share that would give me an idea? My paddle mirrors have heat and turn signals that I'd like to have in the tow mirrors.

3. I'll be working on the driver door squeak, improved seal mod

Getting ready for a pretty long road trip!

Thanks!
Dan

Old 04-15-2014, 11:20 PM
Technologiq
Elder User
It sounds like the frame to that seat is bent. You may want to look at finding a donor superduty or excursion to get a new one out of and then just replace the leather and cushion with new.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:04 AM
JKTex
Junior User
I've had my Excursion longer than any vehicle I've ever had in my life. That said, I think the drivers seat sucks. It's off position and doens't have the range of motion most do. The later not being much of an issue if it's at least in the right place.

However, from what you're describing, it's either that the power seat switch isn't working and you're missing an adjustment or the seat back recline lever isn't working fully or the seat frame or where it hinges is bent or sticking. Can you pull the recline lever and get it to recline back and forwards? It doesn't lay back all the way but it'll lay back way further than you can drive from, but it'll recline forward where you're bent way too far too.

The overhead, there are 7 or 8, I forget, square chips and one or more will be loose or fallen off. You can push on them and it may not seem like they moved, but it'll probably work, at least some, for a little while. There's a guy who fixes them for about $35 and it'll never act up again. I finally sent mine off. He replaces the chips with wafers for one thing. Sad thing is, mine was acting up for year, and finally died. The issues wasn't known at the time so I went without it. Last year I find out the problem had been discovered and fixed. I pushed the loose chip back on and it worked for about a month. Finally sent it off and it's brighter than ever.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:26 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
If you are buying mirrors, you definitely want the 2008 style like these. 2005 Ford Excursion Power Heated Signal & Clearance Light Telescoping Towing Upgrade Mirror Pair at 1AAuto.com

The OEM style is like this. 2005 Ford Excursion Super Duty Power Heated Dual Arm Telescoping Signal Black Mirror Pair at 1AAuto.com

Newer style are larger and easier to see out of. The set linked above has both chrome and black paintable covers, so you can decide for yourself.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:36 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
I tow a lot with our EX and I have had and used all three styles of mirrors, paddles, '05 tow mirrors and now the '08+ tow mirrors. The '08 s are soooo much better than the older style tow mirrors, bigger top glass and much better and bigger lowers, really no comparison between the two. The link to the 1AAuto ones that Eric posted above are the ones I have now, nice units!
They were plug and play on my rig, all functions work as designed.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:49 PM
FarmFab
New User
Mirrors- DONE

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Now no one else comment on the mirrors, because I just bought the ones Eric linked to and I don't want to hear that there were better options! Thanks Eric.

For the seat, I had the side panel (plastic cover) off, as well as the lever handle and I can't see anything noticeably wrong (bent, caught, etc), but it's good to hear that it should at least be able to come forward more and there there is hope of a solution!

Thanks! Dan

Old 04-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the Ex, and welcome to the Forums. If you have not done so yet, scroll down to the Regional Forums and join the PA chapter, it is an active one too. They are a fine group of guys and gals, the chapter leader is also a fellow Ex owner. The Mirrors are super easy to do, even more so than mine as you have an 05 and wont have to run any wires, straight plug n play. There are plenty of threads up in the Tech folder that may interest you.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:52 PM
davesexpedition
Junior User
Originally Posted by FarmFab
Thanks for the feedback guys!
Now no one else comment on the mirrors, because I just bought the ones Eric linked to and I don't want to hear that there were better options! Thanks Eric.

For the seat, I had the side panel (plastic cover) off, as well as the lever handle and I can't see anything noticeably wrong (bent, caught, etc), but it's good to hear that it should at least be able to come forward more and there there is hope of a solution!

Thanks! Dan
I had those mirrors on my old truck, they came with chrome caps and black paintable caps so you should be all set.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:36 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
I should get a commission from 1A auto. You will love them!

Old 04-17-2014, 01:55 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
I should get a commission from 1A auto. You will love them!
Thanks for helping us out, it's appreciated.

Tony