1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Picking this up tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 06:40 AM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boys boys boys boys!!...my wife has been listening to me read this thread, she is calling all of you temptresses!!!! I m game if someone pays for my fuel and my fine to the Iowa state police interstate Commerce!
I have 5 weeks before my first mortgage payment is dew on that Black Stallion in the drive way. I will need to sell a truck every mouth just to help cover the payment.
Ps if I do this , I will be living in that black truck

Old 04-10-2014, 07:14 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Hey guys I've been in the Black Stallion. If he would have to live in it for while he isn't going to suffer. The other day his major complaint was his butt got.too cold from the built in seat cooler. That truck is nicer than his house, for now at least. If anything Laurie will realize she made a mistake by thinking she was punishing him by forcing him to live in it.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:45 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Let's check the time, gentlemen. It's loaded! Unloading will be fun!!

The condition isn't as good as I hoped it to be. So this one may get parted. Has F2-6 front fenders. The guy also bought and installed new glass regulators in both doors so those will get removed and replaced with OE used. He also has a box of parts at home that I'll get next week.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:52 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Nice Job! looks good.
I've also got stuff home or on the trailer and then scratch my head trying to figure how in the H3ll am I going to get that off of there! lol

post pictures of the disassembly process

Old 04-10-2014, 11:04 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Southwestern description: "The condition isn't as good as I hoped it to be. So this one may get parted. Has F2-6 front fenders. The guy also bought and installed new glass regulators in both doors so those will get removed and replaced with OE used. He also has a box of parts at home that I'll get next week."

Upper Midwest description: "Rust free sheet metal, don't find these in this condition any more. Comes with a sh** load of extra parts. Now I can start planning my retirement. "

What a difference location makes.

This is the most difficult load I had to load onto my trailer. Fortunately I had my three healthy nephews along to help.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:24 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Fortunately I had my three healthy nephews along to help.

Did they watch you load it to make sure you had it on there right? just kidding. nice to have a couple helpers sometimes when loading unloading.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:48 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jmadsen
Did they watch you load it to make sure you had it on there right? just kidding. nice to have a couple helpers sometimes when loading unloading.
Hey, I'm getting to be an old man. My job on these projects is to supervise, that's why I get my son to come along, he was unavailable for the above endeavor. He's getting the idea it's more than a father/son thing, he's coming the realization I take him along to do the bull work.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:30 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Ilya,

Good to see that you're still finding these things as they come out of the woodwork!!

Dan

Old 04-10-2014, 12:51 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks. I just wish I had the space like you have to store them.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:00 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I have a 100 acre dairy farm, lots of room to store stuff, very little money to buy the stuff. Maybe that's a good thing, I don't think so, but it probably is.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Greg M-47
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
" The condition isn't as good as I hoped it to be. " Phew, thanks for that statement Ilya. I've been thinking about using up some of the Mercury parts and pieces I have laying around to make a Mercury panel truck clone. But its condition is not good, has no rolling chassis, etc.
There is still the '46 Mercury panel in Collingwood, Ontario to look at if the snowmelts. Hmmmm.....
Greg M-47

Old 04-10-2014, 06:44 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
How can it have a valid title without the frame?

Old 04-10-2014, 07:01 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by AXracer
How can it have a valid title without the frame?
I've discussed this subject with almost every old car fanatic I know.

Many of our old vehicles have parts from so many vehicles how is it possible to know where one vehicle stops and another one starts? My F-2 has the frame and title from my dad's original truck but the cab, front clip, box and engine are from four other trucks. My panel is the same situation. My '37 Buick Special was in such bad shape it has an many parts, if not more, than my F-2. The Buick title has the engine number but the engine was a solid chunk of rust, I'm using an engine from a '41 Buick. I suppose if you want to get technical, and dig into it legally, none of my vehicles have a completely legit lineage. That's just the way it goes.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:28 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Isn't the frame number what matters? I'm living with the fact that not all states see it that way. My 1950 wrecker had an engine swap early on and the Wisconsin DMV, for whatever dumb reason, assigned the truck a new made up VIN (edit - actually they added some prefix to the actual VIN). When I get around to dropping a flathead back in it I'll try to convince the folks at the IL DMV to give it a corrected title. Stu

Old 04-10-2014, 07:29 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I've discussed this subject with almost every old car fanatic I know.

Many of our old vehicles have parts from so many vehicles how is it possible to know where one vehicle stops and another one starts? My F-2 has the frame and title from my dad's original truck but the cab, front clip, box and engine are from four other trucks. My panel is the same situation. My '37 Buick Special was in such bad shape it has an many parts, if not more, than my F-2. The Buick title has the engine number but the engine was a solid chunk of rust, I'm using an engine from a '41 Buick. I suppose if you want to get technical, and dig into it legally, none of my vehicles have a completely legit lineage. That's just the way it goes.
But on our year trucks, the stamped # on the frame defines the "legal" truck. The title must match that # to be valid. If you do not have a frame stamped with the number on the title, you only have a pile of parts and a piece of paper, not a legal vehicle. If you have nothing but the bare frame with paper that matches the stamped number you have that legal titled vehicle, no matter what other parts you might add to it. CA is especially strict about that, ever since they busted Boyd Coddington for title laundering and tax evasion.

Old car fanatics don't make the rules, the state DMV does.

Quick Reply: Picking this up tomorrow